I have a bone to pick now that I am super tired and overly judgy...

Randomguy

Most dogs are not "rescued"  99% of 'rescues' are not that, and that is how language deteriorates or PC terms take hold.  That term is overly dramatic.  A rescue comes from a hostage situation or a firefight, or at the very least abuse or impending certain death in the case of a cute doggy.  If none of these conditions exist, it is not a 'rescue', it is very simply an adoption or a sale if cash is transferred for the dog.

For most folks, they are so used to that term being bandied about that they don't think about, it is just what people say so they repeat it unconsciously.  Most times I don't even notice,  I just wish people would return to speaking plainly again, if they ever did.

Flame on, language ruiners...

5 minutes ago, jsharr said:

I would consider any dog that is saved from deplorable conditions a "rescue".  Dogs that have been abanodoned in unincorporated parts of the city and left to fend for themselves off scraps.  Dogs with really bad injuries from fights or traffic accidents or abuse.  Dogs found tied to trees or chained to a trailer, etc. with little or no human contact.  ALL of these are rescues and my friends save them every day and I foster them when I can.

WRONG!  Wait, actually, you are right, I will make minor changes to the rescue definition.  No deplorable conditions, no firefights, no injuries or impending death, or lives inside a home and gets fed, then NOT A DAMN RESCUE!

It is really nice that you take them in, you dramatic bastard!  Kirby will now bake you a grape pie.

Giza came from a barn with about 65 cats. She was acquired to "rescue" womaxx when she was recovering from her 1st colon cancer surgery.

Athena was found laying on the body of her mom in the middle of the road.  Mom appeared to be feral.  She is a rescue cat.

BMW (Beemer) was not my cat.  He was picked up from the above barn to meet some very specific demands from a friend of a relative.  On the way to their house the bitch said she didn't want a cat after all.  Rather than take Beemer back to the barn I kept him.  He is a rescue cat.

The lady who has the barnocats rescues them and feeds them and does her best to find homes for them.  She rescues cats.

1 minute ago, Randomguy said:

WRONG!  Wait, actually, you are right, I will make minor changes to the rescue definition.  No deplorable conditions, no firefights, no injuries or impending death, or lives inside a home and gets fed, then NOT A DAMN RESCUE!

It is really nice that you take them in, you dramatic bastard!

I am not DRAMATIC!  You take that back or I will hold my breathe! 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Giza came from a barn with about 65 cats. She was acquired to "rescue" womaxx when she was recovering from her 1st colon cancer surgery.

Athena was found laying on the body of her mom in the middle of the road.  Mom appeared to be feral.  She is a rescue cat.

BMW (Beemer) was not my cat.  He was picked up from the above barn to meet some very specific demands from a friend of a relative.  On the way to their house the bitch said she didn't want a cat after all.  Rather than take Beemer back to the barn I kept him.  He is a rescue cat.

The lady who has the barnocats rescues them and feeds them and does her best to find homes for them.  She rescues cats.

WRONG!  Feral cats are not rescued cats, they are kidnapped wild animals who generally would prefer to maintain their lifestyles.  Athena sounds like the only one that meets that PETA-approved definition of a rescue.

2 minutes ago, sheep_herder said:

Sorry to have caused you a 'bad day'.  I was just using the term used on the site where she was listed.  The owners actually listed her on that site, and it was the first time my wife looked at that particular site. On second thought, why don't you just 'blow it out of your ass'!

You certainly didn't cause a bad day, but it did bring forward an observation.  Like I said, that is such an unconscious term anymore. 

Your non-rescue is really cute!

3 hours ago, Randomguy said:

Most dogs are not "rescued"  99% of 'rescues' are not that, and that is how language deteriorates or PC terms take hold. 

Well, you sound like an ignorant buffoon (to use appropriate PC terms). :D

Sure, other ignorant buffoons go to puppy mills for their dogs (and those puppy mill dogs definitely need to be "rescued"), but a large percentage of dogs (including puppies) come from rescues/shelters. It's hard to understand how you can't connect that to why they're called "rescues".

32 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

a large percentage of dogs (including puppies) come from rescues/shelters. It's hard to understand how you can't connect that to why they're called "rescues".

Because a much larger percentage are not 'rescued' at all, didn't you read what I wrote earlier?  You generally don't 'rescue' a dog from a humane society either, you adopt it.  If you don't understand that, there is not much hope for you.  And no, most dogs are not 'killed' in humane societies and don't need rescuing.   

The vast majority of dogs in there come from their 'forever homes' because their stupid owners also say stupid shit like 'forever home' like it means something, then turn their dog in because those owners can't think their way out of a paper bag and train their pup.  Sure, some dogs are abused or hurt or stray, the vast majority are not.   Most so-called rescue sites are not for dogs actually needing a rescue, just needing a home.  In other words, don't call literally every dog that changes hands a rescue, the vast majority are clearly not.  

Every zealot out there thinks they are somehow 'rescuing' something by pimping a dog in a picture on facebook or some overly dramatic site, they believe in unicorn rainbow farts uniting in the air in a simplistic allegory, thinking they are righting the wrongs of the world like some James Bond superhero swat team member, bursting into a compound to liberate a dog in some sort of undefined grave danger.

So there.

7 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Because a much larger percentage are not 'rescued' at all, didn't you read what I wrote earlier?  You generally don't 'rescue' a dog from a humane society either, you adopt it.  If you don't understand that, there is not much hope for you.  And no, most dogs are not 'killed' in humane societies and don't need rescuing.    

The vast majority of dogs in there come from their 'forever homes' because their stupid owners also say stupid shit like 'forever home' like it means something, then turn their dog in because those owners can't think their way out of a paper bag.  Sure, some dogs are abused or hurt or stray, the vast majority are not.   Most so-called rescue sites are not for dogs actually needing a rescue, just needing a home.  In other words, pull your head out of your ass don't call literally every dog that changes hands a rescue, the vast majority are clearly not.  So there. 

First off, you went with 99%. Absolutely dopey.

Second, there are "shelters" that kill their animals and there are no kill shelters.  In both, dogs are kept in cages & kennels.  Rescues go out and "rescue" the dogs at those kill shelters.  Likewise they rescue dogs from puppy mills that go awry. They rescue from hoarders. They rescue from disaster areas. They rescue from folks who can no longer keep a dog (old or poor or allergies or whatever). 

So, I'm saying you're just wrong and choosing ignorance. 

2 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I'm saying you're just wrong and choosing ignorance. 

I am saying the same of you.  You are confusing 'some' with the majority.  Most dogs that change hands are not rescued in any sense of the word.  The rainbow fart coalition (RFC) would have you believe otherwise, consider who they are.  That a dog is in a cage or a kennel does not make it a rescue.

17 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

I am saying the same of you.  You are confusing 'some' with the majority.  Most dogs that change hands are not rescued in any sense of the word.  The rainbow fart coalition (RFC) would have you believe otherwise, consider who they are.  That a dog is in a cage or a kennel does not make it a rescue. 

NO - I am "not confusing" 1% (100% - 99%) with "majority".  I used "large percentage", which I stand by. You used 99% of rescues are not rescued.  Sure, you pulled that out of your ass, but you're totally allowed to do that, but PLEASE STOP destroying the English language and fact based discussions.

If a dog is going to be killed if it isn't adopted, and then it is adopted, that's a "rescue". Can't make it less complicated for you.

• Heart 1

6 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

If a dog is going to be killed if it isn't adopted, and then it is adopted, that's a "rescue". Can't make it less complicated for you.

As agreed to earlier in the thread, saying it again doesn't change that. 

Ok, 99%, I could have said 99.9 or whatever, you used 'a large percentage', which has little validity as relative term.  The vastist of vast majorities of 'rescued' dogs are never in danger of any sort, except in some busybody's mind who desperately wants to rescue something, anything.

Just now, Randomguy said:

As agreed to earlier in the thread, saying it again doesn't change that. 

Ok, 99%, I could have said 99.9 or whatever.  The vastist of vast majorities of 'rescued' dogs are never in danger of any sort, except in some busybody's mind who desperately wants to rescue something, anything. 

You need a nap. It might reset your brain.

11 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

You need a nap. It might reset your brain.

I have needed a nap all day, I think most people would be better off with a nap.  My brain is right, though, about the rescue stuff.  My dog would have been called a rescue today despite the fact I had to know somebody on the inside and fight hordes off to adopt her, and the fact that she was in a no-kill shelter (as the vast majority in Colorado are).  But hey, the RFC says that I did a noble thing and rescued her despite that fact that I wanted the dog and no drama was necessary or expected and I wasn't endlessly backslapped for it like apparently all the millenials need to be.

11 hours ago, Kirby said:

here's a picture of my first rescue kitty.  She was a stray who wandered around the apartment complex where I lived.  She was friendly and I'd feed her sometimes, but was certainly not going to bring her in because I had bad allergies.  She'd sit on my patio and meow to get in, but I resisted because of my allergies.   Then I ran into the apartment manager who said some people were complaining about the roaming cat and she'd have to call animal control unless someone took the cat in.  So the next time I saw the cat, I opened the door and she happily came in and showed no interest in leaving.  I loved the way she was digging her claws into the carpet - probably the first time she'd ever slept on anything soft and she didn't intend to leave.

katie arrival.jpg

Have you ever thought that maybe you have "captured" her and are holding her prisoner? And she needs to be rescued? 

• Heart 1

My last Australian Sheppard came from a hoarding/puppy mill situation, she was rescued. 

I wasn't convinced she was actually an Aussie when we picked her up, her hair was short and she was really thin.  She's put on around 20lbs since we got her and her hair has grown out and thickened up.  She looks like an Aussie now and the strong herding instincts confirms it.  Her people skills definitely still reflect where she came from though.

• Heart 1

16 minutes ago, Indy said:

My last Australian Sheppard came from a hoarding/puppy mill situation, she was rescued. 

Dang. You're gonna skew RG's numbers.  He now needs to find 99 "non-rescued" dogs to show his guesstimate was a good one.  Right now, it seems it is 100% of dogs are "rescued" around here!

3 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Dang. You're gonna skew RG's numbers.  He now needs to find 99 "non-rescued" dogs to show his guesstimate was a good one.  Right now, it seems it is 100% of dogs are "rescued" around here!

My other Aussie came from a breeder, we wanted the kids to have a puppy.  My Border Collie came from a shelter 13-14 years ago, not sure of his background before landing there, think it was a case of a surrender where he got bigger than they realized he would.

7 minutes ago, Indy said:

My other Aussie came from a breeder, we wanted the kids to have a puppy.  My Border Collie came from a shelter 13-14 years ago, not sure of his background before landing there, think it was a case of a surrender where he got bigger than they realized he would.

Heck, even if we "give" him the older Border Collie, he STILL needs another 97 pups in his corner.  I have added in mine yet, since I don't want to make his job too hard to back up his words.

9 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Heck, even if we "give" him the older Border Collie, he STILL needs another 97 pups in his corner.  I have added in mine yet, since I don't want to make his job too hard to back up his words. 

Well, if you want to make it harder.  Breeders are going to do what they do, if someone doesn't buy the dogs they are going to end up in a shelter, so by buying them, you are saving them from entering the foster/shelter system.

4 minutes ago, Indy said:

Well, if you want to make it harder.  Breeders are going to do what they do, if someone doesn't buy the dogs they are going to end up in a shelter, so by buying them, you are saving them from entering the foster/shelter system.

I think he made it hard on himself.  He was tired.  And "overly judgy".

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

Have you ever thought that maybe you have "captured" her and are holding her prisoner? And she needs to be rescued? 

Unfortunately that cat died many years ago. My current kitty was another outdoor cat, but he was more independent.  The first kitty was always looking for a home, but my current cat just wanted to be fed and then go out exploring.  For almost a year, I'd feed him and sometimes he'd come in, but he'd never stay and always let me know when he wanted to leave.  Then one day he showed up badly scratched up and bleeding.  One of the cuts looked infected and he was in bad shape.   I took him to the vet and got him treatment for his wounds, and brought him back home.  From that point on, he was happy to stay indoors and never made an effort to leave again.

6 minutes ago, Kirby said:

I took him to the vet and got him treatment for his wounds, and brought him back home.  From that point on, he was happy to stay indoors and never made an effort to leave again.

Well, that and the doors, walls, and other obstacles you constantly threw in his path!

Free the PRISONERS!!!!!  

A-T-T-I-C-A ! A-T-T-I-C-A ! A-T-T-I-C-A !

I agree that terminology has grown misleading to the point where everyone knows it's ridiculous.

Like "previously owned cars."  They are USED cars!

But in the case of rescue dogs, they're saying that you are rescuing them from being put to sleep, even though some county and other dog shelters don't do that anymore.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

I think he made it hard on himself.  He was tired.  And "overly judgy".

Outdoor cats are not rescues.  Stray dogs are not rescues, they are strays.  You don't rescue an animal that is happily surviving on the streets and is no imminent danger.  If they are picked up and not adopted and notice is given that the doggie Treblinka is getting fired up in their honor, then yeah, you have a rescue.

So, Kirby's cat, not a rescue (but might have been in a couple weeks).  Indy's dog?  I have to hear more on the matter, but if the authorities shut down an illegal kennel and the dogs simply get distributed, then it is definitively not a rescue.  Have a breed you are all racistly into like golden doodles  or chihuahua doodles and find homes for?  Not a rescue.  

Again, rescues come from abusive or imminently life threatening situations, as clarified with jsharrt.  Not covered in that description equals not a rescue, simply and certainly, and all you damn millennial hippie RFC feces-slingers can stick that into your 'rescue' pipe and smoke it.

1 minute ago, Randomguy said:

Outdoor cats are not rescues.  Stray dogs are not rescues, they are strays.  You don't rescue an animal that is happily surviving on the streets and is no imminent danger.  If they are picked up and not adopted and notice is given that the doggie Treblinka is getting fired up in their honor, then yeah, you have a rescue.

So, Kirby's cat, not a rescue.  Indy's dog?  I have to hear more on the matter, but if the authorities shut down an illegal kennel and the dogs simply get distributed, then it is definitively not a rescue.  Have a breed you are all racistly into like golden doodles  or chihuahua doodles and find homes for?  Not a rescue.  

Again, rescues come from abusive or imminently life threatening situations, as clarified with jsharrt.  Not covered in that description equals not a rescue, simply and certainly, and all you damn millennial hippie RFC feces-slingers can stick that into your 'rescue' pipe and smoke it.

Yay!!!! Your gonna get to that 99% somehow!!!

10 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

I agree that terminology has grown misleading to the point where everyone knows it's ridiculous.

Like "previously owned cars."  They are USED cars!

But in the case of rescue dogs, they're saying that you are rescuing them from being put to sleep, even though some county and other dog shelters don't do that anymore.

Some states and cities, counties do it better than other.  Very few kill shelters in CO, for instance, and even then, it seems like it is usually pitbulls in Denver that get the needle, with some cancer hounds and others obviously unsuitable for adoption.  Those would be rescues if you snag them.

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

Yay!!!! Your gonna get to that 99% somehow!!!

I am right, and you are wrong, you just have to accept the order of the universe on this one.  How are most feral cats rescues, for instance?  Just break them down into what is realistic and what is the RFC definition of rescue.