When You Back Out Of A Parking Spot

Razors Edge

...in a parking lot, do you go straight back, cut it a little, or cut it a bunch?  And, assuming normal vigilance to folks around you, are you "slow", "average", or "quick" about it?

I am always disheartened to see seemingly "experienced" drivers needing to do a three point turn to extricate themselves from parking spaces.

1 hour ago, Indy said:

Back in, pull out.

I'm more a pull through guy, but I park in the boonies so can usually do that.

But, I'm guessing you are a single reverse into your spot, not a back-forward-back type, and probably at a reasonable pace as well.

Costco is a prime example of where I see the sort of nonsense behavior I am writing about - especially since the lanes are wide and the parking spaces are huge. No excuse for not getting in and out of spots rapidly.

• Heart 1

3 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I'm more a pull through guy, but I park in the boonies so can usually do that.

But, I'm guessing you are a single reverse into your spot, not a back-forward-back type, and probably at a reasonable pace as well.

Costco is a prime example of where I see the sort of nonsense behavior I am writing about - especially since the lanes are wide and the parking spaces are huge. No excuse for not getting in and out oof spots rapidly.

Can back in as fast as back out, sometimes I miss my lines and have to pull forward and get straight, but if I hold someone up, I don't really care either.  And actually, I am the type, the more you try to push me to hurry up, the longer I take and the more anal I get about getting perfectly centered.

The older I get, the less I become tolerant of other people and less willing to care if they are in a hurry and I am inconveniencing them.

• Awesome 1

In a truck, backing in is much easier than pulling in.   In a car, for me, the reverse is true.

I seldom take more than one shot to get in or out when parking.

I use all three mirrors and the back up camera and come out at medium to slow.  

8 minutes ago, Indy said:

The older I get, the less I become tolerant of other people and less willing to care if they are in a hurry and I am inconveniencing them.

Good to hear!  Always nice to be "that guy" :D

1 minute ago, jsharr said:

I use all three mirrors and the back up camera and come out at medium to slow.  

In the rental car? How about in the land yacht?

• Heart 1

10 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Good to hear!  Always nice to be "that guy" :D

Don't get me wrong, it's like I go around trying to be an ass.  I just don't put up with people's shit anymore and not going to let people push me around anymore, and just happen to be really good at being an ass, just ask my wife or kids.

I don't have a backup camera and when backing out of a store's parking lot:

I first look at the opposite side to make sure someone else isn't backing out toward me at the same time.

Then I look, as much as the cars alongside me allow, to see if anyone is going to walk or drive past the back of my car before I can get out.

Then I back out very slowly and begin to turn when I'm clear enough of the cars alongside me that I can clearly see the entire driving lane.

I back out while turning until I have enough room to drive forward and leave.

1 minute ago, MickinMD said:

I don't have a backup camera and when backing out of a store's parking lot:

I first look at the opposite side to make sure someone else isn't backing out toward me at the same time.

Then I look, as much as the cars alongside me allow, to see if anyone is going to walk or drive past the back of my car before I can get out.

Then I back out very slowly and begin to turn when I'm clear enough of the cars alongside me that I can clearly see the entire driving lane.

I back out while turning until I have enough room to drive forward and leave.

I think your process is sound, but you may be a little slow in getting it done.  But again, the process looks good! ?

I will say, though, that you might watch out in those Walmart lots.  Folks have been know to "stage" an accident to get your insurance to pay up!

1 minute ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

I think I am pretty good at backing out quickly. I am used to being rushed to get out of an event parking lot, so you better get into the exit line fast, else you’ll be parked in for awhile.

But for event parking, it is always BACK IN, NOSE OUT.

It really depends on the lot and who’s parked next to you.  At work I park in a pretty tight lot and am often surrounded by a couple of Chevy Tahoe’s who’s owners must have offices near me.

I have to back straight out very slowly as I can’t see oncoming traffic and then hook hard once I can clear the Tahoe’s otherwise I’ll hit the car behind me.

Having managed a fleet and numerous drivers I’ve found a majority of accidents occur while backing so I always go slow and don’t rely on my back up camera solely.