Went to a retirement seminar at work today

Gump

I still have nine years til retirement but I wanted to get a sense of what that will look like. With 30 years of service my retirement will be around 60% of my salary at retirement. I have also put 15% into my 457b since the day I started work. If the market does ok until then I should leave with it being worth on the upper end of six figures. Looks like the foregoing of some of the niceties  along the way will pay off.  Now hopefully the whole market doesn't end up in the toilet.

• Heart 1

I'm estimating I should be able to retire between age 53 and 55.  Current Net worth, additions, and growth rates should lead to a comfortable, but not extravagant retirement.

Of course, retirement does not mean sitting around doing nothing.  Hope to have a couple acres to "farm", be close to the beach, and take some nice trips from time to time.

I spend $1 a week on a powerball or mega millions ticket..in a pool with a bunch of 80 year olds......I hope that helps our odds.  SSI and a small retirement account.  If the market doesn't tank I will be lucky to have an additional 100,000 to whatever SSI comes to...

I hope to travel a little for a couple of years and manage the rest f the time......IF I live that long.

I went to one of those retirement seminars and ran the numbers on a projected retirement date.

I calculated I would have to keep working until three years after I was dead, then I could retire.

Well, at least you have that to look forward to.

For me it was all in having all the debt paid when I retired.  While I don't get a lot, it's enough since we don't owe anybody anything, for now. 

Yes, this helps a lot.  I had everything paid off ten years before I retired.  During that ten-year period before retirement, I was able to save up a sizeable nest egg to go along with my retirement income.