Big move for Mom!

groupw

3 minutes ago, groupw said:

My mom drove up to the Black Hills to spend time with a few of her sisters. This is her first trip since Dad passed away. She has been weighing options of where she wants to live now that he is gone. Moving back to the Black Hills was an option to be near her sisters before they all get too old. 

She called me the other night. It was kind of late for her even allowing for the time change. She found a place in Hot Springs she wants to rent. It is right next  to the river just outside of town. I could hear in her voice she was just giddy with excitement!

Sounds like I will be driving a moving truck in a couple weeks!

That's cool. Nice when a person hears "giddy" in mom's voice.

1 hour ago, groupw said:

My mom drove up to the Black Hills to spend time with a few of her sisters. This is her first trip since Dad passed away. She has been weighing options of where she wants to live now that he is gone. Moving back to the Black Hills was an option to be near her sisters before they all get too old. 

She called me the other night. It was kind of late for her even allowing for the time change. She found a place in Hot Springs she wants to rent. It is right next  to the river just outside of town. I could hear in her voice she was just giddy with excitement!

Sounds like I will be driving a moving truck in a couple weeks!

I visited the Black Hills on 3-day visits three different times in the '90's.  I liked the area a lot.  Here's my dad and I at Wild Bill Hickok's and Calamity Jane's graves in the cemetery in Deadwood, SD:

1529368200_DADMICK1900x577p.jpg.19e065cca7fd46f657ff1975e12e222e.jpg

• Heart 3

Beautiful area, and it's nice that she's moving to a place she knows and where she knows people. Plus South Dakota ranks high on "places to live" for medical care which is important.   But best of all she's excited about the move and that's a very good thing.

• Heart 2

1 hour ago, Airehead said:

Your dad would be happy

He lived the area as much as Mom. Unfortunately the altitude really worked against his COPD and edema. He didn’t go for about 8 years, but went back for a family reunion last fall. It was cathartic for him and I think he knew he would never be back. 

He spent summer at his grandma’s place outside Pringle, which is on the other side of Wind Cave Park from Hot Springs. Her cabin burned down in a forest fire a few years back.  Dad would tear up talking about it and he hardly ever cried. Mom wants to spread his ashes at the homestead. 

• Heart 2