Fatbiking gear choices

dinneR

That's an interesting video.  That bike really seems to bob as he rides, but with no "lock out" option.  That drives me nuts on an MTB, but maybe it feels different on a fattie since it is the tires causing it and not suspension.  And riding on train tracks!!!!:frantics:  I guess we used to walk on them as kids, but definitely a bit scarier seeming as an adult.  Also, how does one bivouac in an event like that?  I'd think it would be beyond cold.

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

That's an interesting video.  That bike really seems to bob as he rides, but with no "lock out" option.  That drives me nuts on an MTB, but maybe it feels different on a fattie since it is the tires causing it and not suspension.  And riding on train tracks!!!!:frantics:  I guess we used to walk on them as kids, but definitely a bit scarier seeming as an adult.  Also, how does one bivouac in an event like that?  I'd think it would be beyond cold.

I was surprised to see him bob so much. I don't feel like I do that.

It can be cold, but I carry a -30 bag(they require a 0F bag) and a bivy sack as well as an insulated pad. In the video, it was a warm year. I think it was in the 20s. I wore a wool jersey and lightweight softshell jacket. 

On 5/11/2019 at 11:39 PM, dennis said:

I was surprised to see him bob so much. I don't feel like I do that.

It can be cold, but I carry a -30 bag(they require a 0F bag) and a bivy sack as well as an insulated pad. In the video, it was a warm year. I think it was in the 20s. I wore a wool jersey and lightweight softshell jacket. 

I also notice my shift levers start to get flaky below freezing.  The shifting becomes less than perfect. I can't imagine what happens in below zero temps.  And, like that NJ guy, I'd be screwed trying to replicate the weather and conditions, since we only go negative with wind chill - not actual air temps!  

3 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I also notice my shift levers start to get flaky below freezing.  The shifting becomes less than perfect. I can't imagine what happens in below zero temps.  And, like that NJ guy, I'd be screwed trying to replicate the weather and conditions, since we only go negative with wind chill - not actual air temps!  

Pogies protect your shifters and brake levers. As mittens found out, your rear hub can freeze, but that was -40.