Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
donkpow

Gravel gears.

Recommended Posts



10 hours ago, donkpow said:

Good call. I think my Casseroll has 46/36 chainrings and a 12/25 and a 12/28 cassette. My Fargo is set up with 42/28 chainrings and 11/36 cassette. It all seems to work. When in doubt stomp on the pedals and mash your way up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, dennis said:

Good call. I think my Casseroll has 46/36 chainrings and a 12/25 and a 12/28 cassette. My Fargo is set up with 42/28 chainrings and 11/36 cassette. It all seems to work. When in doubt stomp on the pedals and mash your way up. 

That's where your SS speed training comes in. Really, I think you should evaluate yourself and your capabilities carefully along with the course then select the right gear train.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Something else to consider is if you will be bike packing or not.  Lower gearing may be necessary if you are packing in.  Less so if you are just day tripping.

My bike has traditional cross gearing with 46/36 chainrings.  The 36 lower chainring does make steep climbs a challenge.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ChrisL said:

Something else to consider is if you will be bike packing or not.  Lower gearing may be necessary if you are packing in.  Less so if you are just day tripping.

My bike has traditional cross gearing with 46/36 chainrings.  The 36 lower chainring does make steep climbs a challenge.

When I've run out of gears, I hop off and walk. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ChrisL said:

Something else to consider is if you will be bike packing or not.  Lower gearing may be necessary if you are packing in.  Less so if you are just day tripping.

My bike has traditional cross gearing with 46/36 chainrings.  The 36 lower chainring does make steep climbs a challenge.

I can tell you right now, @Razors Edge isn't going bike packing. ?

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, donkpow said:

I can tell you right now, @Razors Edge isn't going bike packing. ?

E-Fred and Kid in Chequamegon NF.

 

  • Awesome 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, dennis said:

When I've run out of gears, I hop off and walk. 

 

There is a guy on the YouTube’s that does a lot of gravel riding and tests gear.  The Path Less Travelled I think it is.  He does talk a bit about gearing for loaded touring.

I like his videos even though I’ll probably never do what he does.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...