Sign in to follow this  
Page Turner

Amgen Tour of California starts tomorrow...

...I was out on the American River bike trail today and all the teams were in full kit doing warm-up rides. A couple of those guys blocked my line on the corners. They were waaay over the center line. :angry:  I would have filed a protest, but you have to do it within 15 minutes of the finish, and I couldn't find an official.  :(

3B. Riding Conduct 3B1. Center Line. If a course is not closed to traffic, all competitors must keep to the right of the center line or enforcement line

3E6. Rider Conduct. (a) On an out-and-back course, riders shall stay to the right of the centerline or enforcement line at all times

https://s3.amazonaws.com/imm-usac-uat-bucket-16e9mh4tuo6kc/documents/USAC_RuleBook_Chpt_03_Upload.pdf

...today (Stage 1) is flatter than a cow pie that dropped out of a tall cow's ass.  Sacramento out to Winters/Woodland, then back through Davis and finish in Sacramento.  Tomorrow they start out in Rancho Cordova, and race all the way up to South Lake Tahoe.  That is a lot of climbing.

I didn't watch the race but what I know about officiating is that consistency is key. It does matter if the event happened less than 40 cm from the line. If the rule says decisions change at a line, then so be it. Otherwise, everyone must accept that all the rules have a margin available for discretionary decisions by the officials. Looking at your links, I would have called the cyclists for drafting the service vehicles.

On 5/17/2019 at 10:54 AM, donkpow said:

Looking at your links, I would have called the cyclists for drafting the service vehicles.

...it seems to be done pretty commonly now, if the few professional road races I watch are any indicator.