How long does a house last if built in the early 60's?

Randomguy

3 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Depends on how much money you have.  All the houses my father built in the 40's and 50's are still standing and quite comfortably lived in.  I'd really like to have the last house he built that we lived in back.

And looked after.  My parent house that they took good care of was built in 61.  The house up the street that was built at the same time, looks 50 years older

• Heart 1

...my current house was built in 1951. The one before that was built in the 1920's, and still had some knob and tube wiring.  The structure of an older house, if properly built to start with, lasts a long time if you keep the roof intact and there are no tornadoes or earthquakes.  Plumbing ages well , or not so well, depending on the material used and your water quality.  Most roof materials need regular replacement every 15-20 years, but again this varies with your climate, venting, and conditions.  Metal roofs last a long time.

One of the guys i worked with in the fire department bought an old Victorian house here that was built on a foundation of redwood. He was in the process of jacking up the whole house to install a masonry foundation.

Replace the roof and siding as needed and a house will last a good long time. Or get a Lustron home and just hose it off as needed. We have a few of these nearby built in the 40s and 50s and they still look almost new. All with the original enamel paint and metal roofs.

www.oldhouseweb.com/architecture-and-design/lustron-homes-part-1.shtml

thMXV68EY5.jpg