Someone needs a sense-talking to (bike related)

Randomguy

Is it me?

So the wife's bike has arrived, we are waiting on the speedplay pedals to come before we pick up the bike.  We don't have shoes yet, so I sent the wife shoe shopping just now at a local shop.  She is confused.

Background is that she does a few sprint triathlons a year, this is her first real bike, and will be her first experience on clipless pedals.  So she tells people this, and they try to get her to buy triathlon shoes, which I think is wrong.  First, while she is strong like ox, she isn't going to win one of these yet.  I think it would make much more sense to get a pair of road shoes because the two or three extra seconds to affix three straps instead of two will not cost her a race.  In addition to that, I think adjustments in fit with three straps will be much more comfortable over the time on the bike, a better fit by dispersing compressive forces just makes more sense.

I have never owned tri bike shoes, am I wrong?  Experience tells me I am probably correct, but if I am wrong, I am wrong.  Am I wrong?

No, you're correct I think she would be more comfortable in regular cycling shoes.  Don't mention triathalons to the asshat employees because all they will try to do is steer you to tri shoes.  She'll be riding her bike 99.9% of the time and not racing.  That 0.01% racing doesn't require tri shoes.

I don't think they are that bad, plus they are a good way to get started using clipless.  You can always upgrade later.

I figure the bullet can be bit at once.  You are thinking straight, though, I came over from the mountain biking world, and used the same pedals and shoes on the road for a few years.

You would be correct, road shoes.

All the tri shoes I've seenare meant for quick transitions.  As such, the body of the shoe isn't quite as rigid, so you can pull them on quickly, but that sacrifices a bit of foot support (which can translate to comfort on a long ride) and power transfer.

Much rather have two buckles, a ratchet strap, and a better outer shell.

If she doesn't ride a lot, those shoes should last ten years. 

Yeah, but I figure tri-shoes and a tri-bike when she is knocking on the door of victory, and nice bike/normal shoes until then.  Why spend twice when you don't have to?  Someone should teach you to be cautious with money, you know.    :P

Yeah, but I figure tri-shoes and a tri-bike when she is knocking on the door of victory, and nice bike/normal shoes until then.  Why spend twice when you don't have to?  Someone should teach you to be cautious with money, you know.    :P

Say's the guy who lives in one of the most expensive areas of the country.  

She won't knock on the door of victory with inferior gear.

WTH makes a shoe a triathlon shoe?

They are meant to be easy on and off to speed transition time to and from the bike.  Most have a rear loop for quick pull-on, are a bit more flexible around the ankle, and are set up to be worn without socks.  They also have velcro designed to be tightened easily once on the bike, so you can pull them on, jump on the bike, and tighten them while on your way (instead of rachet straps.

cycling3-475x421.jpg

Pearl Izumi Tri Fly IV