Water shortage, earth warming ....more noticeable in areas to see real glaciers

shootingstar

So our area will have water shortages in 20 yrs. We're not going to get enough water anymore from snow and glacial melt.  https://calgaryherald.com/news/local-news/calgary-could-reach-daily-water-licence-limit-by-2036   This is not surprising, being in the prairies.  

And oh yea, Canada in the ARctic and prairies is experiencing warming temperatures 4x faster than some other areas of the world.  Some of the scientists in the Arctic in measuring permafrost, now return and find their monitoring sites in danger:  ground is thawing way too fast.

Just now, Road Runner said:

It wasn't so bad before most of the Chinese stopped riding bikes and started driving cars.

I wish there was a way we could ban 90% of all auto traffic.   

Do you think that with careful reasoning the Chinese will abandon their growth toward first world status?

27 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Do you think that with careful reasoning the Chinese will abandon their growth toward first world status?

The Chinese are only doing what the rest of the world is doing, but in gigantic numbers.  Not blaming them, just saying their conversion to autos and such has greatly increased the worldwide consumption of fossil fuels and its subsequent impact on the environment.  The human race needs to do something where all governments agree to massively curtail the use of fossil fuels, but, in today's world and with the human race at its current level of maturity, this seems very unlikely to happen. 

48 minutes ago, wilbur said:

This has been going on since... oh yeah, the last ice age.  The earth, doesn't care, it is just us insignificant blobs of biological goo and future fossil fuels that do. Clearly, we need to add more taxes to everything to stop the ravages of global warming. 

So your solution is to continue to do nothing? Just let nature run its course? Asking for a friend.

37 minutes ago, parodybot said:

You humans are so screwed.  The robots and roaches will enjoy the world you leave us.

I did my part.  I drove gas guzzling cars and trucks for 50 years.  I leave it to the younger generations to deal with the consequences.  :mellow:

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

5 minutes ago, Dottie said:

So your solution is to continue to do nothing? Just let nature run its course? Asking for a friend.

I like what I'm doing even better - I'm UPPING the stakes!  Why pollute in a weak and half-azzed way? Take it to 11 instead.  Your kids and grandkids will thank you.

24 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I like what I'm doing even better - I'm UPPING the stakes!  Why pollute in a weak and half-azzed way? Take it to 11 instead.  Your kids and grandkids will thank you.

Listen, you Virginian asshat, you wanna get together sometime and cruz William and Mary for chicks? We could ask for @Page Turner to join us but I kinda think in today's climate, his hippie heritage would be more of a liability rather than an azzet.

2 minutes ago, Dottie said:

Listen, you Virginian asshat, you wanna get together sometime and cruz William and Mary for chicks? We could ask for @Page Turner to join us but I kinda think in today's climate, his hippie heritage would be a liability rather than an azzet.

W&M is BFE to me!

But if we did, you'll have to be willing to stop at each stream crossing to toss at least one battery into the water. And, if possible, we'll each bring a spare water bottle filled with used motor oil. We can dump that creatively as well.  Let's do our best!

4 minutes ago, Page Turner said:

...it's not a water shortage.  You just have too many people who want to drink it there.

My guess is the CAnadians never figured out how to make good beer.  They're a simple folk, and not really too willing to color outside the lines.

• Heart 1

Just now, Razors Edge said:

My guess is the CAnadians never figured out how to make good beer.  They're a simple folk, and not really too willing to color outside the lines.

...the tragedy in this is that grain grows well out on the prairie.  It's a short season, but the barley is an especially good choice for them. :) 

2 minutes ago, Page Turner said:

...the tragedy in this is that grain grows well out on the prairie.  It's a short season, but the barley is an especially good choice for them. :) 

The Wheat Belt is moving North..

• Heart 1

7 minutes ago, Page Turner said:

Why do you think CAnadians WANT climate change to accelerate?????  The season is set to be much longer up there.  I imagine they, as a nation, are working overtime to get the greenhouse emissions to the MAX setting ASAP, so their kids and grandkids will have a nice and warm place to live. No more requirement to buy a place in Arizona or Florida.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

If all the worlds governments could agree.  ;)  Meanwhile, we will torture ourselves with what we can do to reduce the increase that will probably kill us all.

I see some goals as lofty ideals that will never be accomplished in time to make a difference.  We will continue to try though because a failure to do so shows itself to be a lack of spirit and character.

4 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Why do you think CAnadians WANT climate change to accelerate?????  The season is set to be much longer up there.  I imagine they, as a nation, are working overtime to get the greenhouse emissions to the MAX setting ASAP, so their kids and grandkids will have a nice and warm place to live. No more requirement to buy a place in Arizona or Florida.

One may assume that they will eventually grow and extra lung and a better nose filter system to take care of all the methane coming out of the permafrost.

1 minute ago, maddmaxx said:

I see some goals as lofty ideals that will never be accomplished in time to make a difference.  We will continue to try though because a failure to do so shows itself to be a lack of spirit and character.

You might want to flesh out who the "we" is in your statement.  "I" plan to keep cruising along balls to the wall, pedal to the metal, devil may care!  This planet EASILY has another 50 years in it, so I'm good. You're good too. Heck, pretty much everyone on the SWCF is good. 

Smoke 'em if you got 'em!

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

...sure.  But it's going to bite them in the ass big time when maple sugaring season only lasts a week. :)  Then they will have to use high fructose corn syrup like the rest of us on their waffles.  Bastards. :angry:

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Page Turner said:

...sure.  But it's going to bite them in the ass big time when maple sugaring season only lasts a week. :)  Then they will have to use high fructose corn syrup like the rest of us on their waffles.  Bastards. :angry:

See, I'll be winning even MORE! I prefer the HFC syrup!  BOOYAH!

I might chuck an old TV or laptop into a landfill this week just to celebrate!   :loveshower:

• Heart 1

Just now, Dottie said:

You suck in syrup tastes.

Who is the loser NOW, though????  BWAHAHA.  Fake syrup will be here in 50 years - and still cheap, cheap, cheap.  You're crappy "real" Maple syrup will be like that coffee pooped out of a civet - EXPENSIVE!

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

You might want to flesh out who the "we" is in your statement.  "I" plan to keep cruising along balls to the wall, pedal to the metal, devil may care!  This planet EASILY has another 50 years in it, so I'm good. You're good too. Heck, pretty much everyone on the SWCF is good. 

Smoke 'em if you got 'em!

Whatev.

49 minutes ago, late said:

There is a herd of elephants, and Americans aren't addressing any of them.

So Obama's endless bombing campaigns weren't enough?  In 2024 maybe the Democrats can elect another war mongerer and that will help reduce world population.

Actually I do think we're on the brink of a Middle East war that will set the stage for massive wars among the blocs that seem to be forming now: Russia, China, Europe and maybe US.

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Dottie said:

Hey, BuffJim, I think we may have hijacked this thread into a maple syrup one.  Do you have any preferences on maple syrup?  Asking for a friend.

I hate to say it, but soon the only suitable place to produce Maple Syrup will be Baffin Island.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, BuffJim said:

Actually I do think we're on the brink of a Middle East war that will set the stage for massive wars among the blocs that seem to be forming now: Russia, China, Europe and maybe US.

We are on the brink of really bad chit happening. A horrible, natural purging of the Earth is likely.

• Heart 1
  • Sad 1

30 minutes ago, Dottie said:

The first thing, IMHO, is to figure out how to get rid of my flatulence.  If so, the world continues for another 50 years. I suppose that makes me a target rich resource.

While this might be true, every commercial greenhouse uses Carbon Dioxide generators because the current atmospheric level is about 100% too low for optimal growing.  Carbon isn't the problem of the earth. 

Now, Canada, with our newly imposed Carbon Tax, is a net carbon sink and not by just a little.  The forests alone consume 10 times the CO2 produced in Canada which by the way, is about 2% produced on earth.   Canada is a small player which is why the Conservatives took Canada out of the Kyoto Accord.   Canadian business was being penalized by it in the global marketplace. 

Now, if you want to make a difference, mandate the use of effluent and exhaust scrubbers in industry.  Eliminate heavy metals being released into the water and land surfaces. Limit or eliminate the application of styrofoam and plastics.  Practice water preservation.  We can get by without the fountains of Bellagio and green grass.  Eliminate food waste thus production costs.  Cheese btw, alone is a massive assault on the environment.  Ban coal electricity supply in favor of atomic. Tackle the big problems, not impossible problems.  Oh, and stop off-shoring our dirty industries.  That doesn't eliminate it, it just moves it.  Another gem so Canada can claim virtue!

The earth warms and cools and I think we can all agree some is caused by human activity.  Some scientists claim the earth has already started a cooling cycle and these are the nutjobs at NASA. 

The carbon problem is a hoax and the tax is a farce.  It's just another source of funds for the tax and spend Liberals that have taken a balanced economy and run it hopelessly into debt.  

• Heart 3

4 minutes ago, wilbur said:

The carbon problem is a hoax and the tax is a farce.  It's just another source of funds for the tax and spend Liberals that have taken a balanced economy and run it hopelessly into debt.  

... which is way better than those borrow and spend conservatives.  ?

Yeah, somebody punt this to the P&R.