Water shortage, earth warming ....more noticeable in areas to see real glaciers

shootingstar

4 minutes ago, Dottie said:

Yeah, somebody punt this to the P&R.

No, no, no.   If general topics can be discussed there, we can discuss p&r here but in a civilized manner.  All that discussing cafe topics in P&R does is select a different friend group to associate with. :) 

6 minutes ago, wilbur said:

No, no, no.   If general topics can be discussed there, we can discuss p&r here but in a civilized manner.  All that discussing cafe topics in P&R does is select a different friend group to associate with. :) 

Exactly!  I'm all for getting the focus here back to 1) maple syrup, and 2) group rides where we redistribute good & wholesome pollution back to the source!  Any nonsense about idiotic political ideologies should stay away.

14 minutes ago, wilbur said:

I would be glad to -- and while I pipe in the P&R from time to time -- I generally don't visit this site to do so.  Politics is usually something ingrained in us from our life experiences and I don't have any illusion of converting others to my way of thinking.  I leave the persuasion arguments for others. 

Besides, I have history with you and I know how you think.  I'm not wasting my time trying to convince you otherwise because I know you'll have none of it -- nor am I going to allow myself to be 'convinced'.  I leave such endeavors to our buddy @late who seems to enjoy the political discourse thing far more than I do.... at least on the web. The bottom line is I'm not picking up arms against anyone.  My old man and best friend are on your side of the fence.  In 15 years, none of our opinions have changed.  Not once.  And while I think they are wrong -- I love them dearly.

I'm here for entertainment and laughs.  I get enough dose of realism throughout my day.

• Heart 1

25 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Exactly!  I'm all for getting the focus here back to 1) maple syrup, and 2) group rides where we redistribute good & wholesome pollution back to the source!  Any nonsense about idiotic political ideologies should stay away.

I knew it. Another Doug Ford fan. I had you pegged.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, wilbur said:

While this might be true, every commercial greenhouse uses Carbon Dioxide generators because the current atmospheric level is about 100% too low for optimal growing.  Carbon isn't the problem of the earth. 

Now, Canada, with our newly imposed Carbon Tax, is a net carbon sink and not by just a little.  The forests alone consume 10 times the CO2 produced in Canada which by the way, is about 2% produced on earth.   Canada is a small player which is why the Conservatives took Canada out of the Kyoto Accord.   Canadian business was being penalized by it in the global marketplace. 

Now, if you want to make a difference, mandate the use of effluent and exhaust scrubbers in industry.  Eliminate heavy metals being released into the water and land surfaces. Limit or eliminate the application of styrofoam and plastics.  Practice water preservation.  We can get by without the fountains of Bellagio and green grass.  Eliminate food waste thus production costs.  Cheese btw, alone is a massive assault on the environment.  Ban coal electricity supply in favor of atomic. Tackle the big problems, not impossible problems.  Oh, and stop off-shoring our dirty industries.  That doesn't eliminate it, it just moves it.  Another gem so Canada can claim virtue!

The earth warms and cools and I think we can all agree some is caused by human activity.  Some scientists claim the earth has already started a cooling cycle and these are the nutjobs at NASA. 

The carbon problem is a hoax and the tax is a farce.  It's just another source of funds for the tax and spend Liberals that have taken a balanced economy and run it hopelessly into debt.  

I agree with a lot of this.  There are so many things we can do for the environment before we start buying space umbrellas.  If however it's humans that are causing climate change, then given the number of other countries in the world who are heading in the wrong direction we aren't going to stop the train now.

2 hours ago, wilbur said:

How do you increase yield in greenhouses?   I am talking between 30 and 50%. 

This old guy is amazing. He grows oranges in Nebraska in winter, with only a tiny expenditure of energy.

12 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

I agree with a lot of this.  There are so many things we can do for the environment before we start buying space umbrellas.  If however it's humans that are causing climate change, then given the number of other countries in the world who are heading in the wrong direction we aren't going to stop the train now.

Yep.  It's too late, we didn't have anything to do with it, those "other" folks might have, and I'm gonna go out with guns a-blazin' anyhow!  It really is liberating, and I'm liking that more folks here are willing to adopt the laissez faire life style with a dash of Me Too - as in "I'm just gonna keep on keeping on and I might just do what's best, funnest, and/or easiest for ME".  

Buying a dozen items at the store and single bagging each one in it's own plastic grocery bag before adding it to a handy paper bag is somehow very "soul satisfying".  Add in accidentally allowing those barely used bags to be blown by the wind into a nearby storm drain, and you have the makings of a perfect afternoon. :)  

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, late said:

This old guy is amazing. He grows oranges in Nebraska in winter, with only a tiny expenditure of energy

That guy is truly amazing.   "Straight D student."  :)   

I think all new homes should have geothermal environmental systems.  Of course, the oil and gas companies would not be happy with that.  

3 hours ago, Dottie said:

I said long ago global warming was too big for humans to solve. My stance doesn't change. But most of us -- if not all -- will be dead before the bad shit hits. Adios.

21 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Don't look now but we are in agreement.  In order to stop it, world governance would have to happen.  ??

13 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Yep.  It's too late, we didn't have anything to do with it, those "other" folks might have, and I'm gonna go out with guns a-blazin' anyhow!  It really is liberating, and I'm liking that more folks here are willing to adopt the laissez faire life style with a dash of Me Too - as in "I'm just gonna keep on keeping on and I might just do what's best, funnest, and/or easiest for ME".  

Buying a dozen items at the store and single bagging each one in it's own plastic grocery bag before adding it to a handy paper bag is somehow very "soul satisfying".  Add in accidentally allowing those barely used bags to be blown by the wind into a nearby storm drain, and you have the makings of a perfect afternoon. :)  

We see you edgy.

7 hours ago, wilbur said:

The carbon problem is a hoax and the tax is a farce.  It's just another source of funds for the tax and spend Liberals that have taken a balanced economy and run it hopelessly into debt.  

Carbon tax is the modern worlds way of tossing virgins into the volcano

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

I believe that if you think a couple of degrees every 10 years is the problem that you're not paying attention to the things that may kill you.

This is a nation that cannot even rebuild it's bridges and highways.  Are you really expecting some sort of miracle cure?

8 hours ago, wilbur said:

While this might be true, every commercial greenhouse uses Carbon Dioxide generators because the current atmospheric level is about 100% too low for optimal growing.  Carbon isn't the problem of the earth. 

Now, Canada, with our newly imposed Carbon Tax, is a net carbon sink and not by just a little.  The forests alone consume 10 times the CO2 produced in Canada which by the way, is about 2% produced on earth.   Canada is a small player which is why the Conservatives took Canada out of the Kyoto Accord.   Canadian business was being penalized by it in the global marketplace. 

Now, if you want to make a difference, mandate the use of effluent and exhaust scrubbers in industry.  Eliminate heavy metals being released into the water and land surfaces. Limit or eliminate the application of styrofoam and plastics.  Practice water preservation.  We can get by without the fountains of Bellagio and green grass.  Eliminate food waste thus production costs.  Cheese btw, alone is a massive assault on the environment.  Ban coal electricity supply in favor of atomic. Tackle the big problems, not impossible problems.  Oh, and stop off-shoring our dirty industries.  That doesn't eliminate it, it just moves it.  Another gem so Canada can claim virtue!

The earth warms and cools and I think we can all agree some is caused by human activity.  Some scientists claim the earth has already started a cooling cycle and these are the nutjobs at NASA. 

Climate warming has been going....we, as human beings and how we use our resources, are accelerating it.  Water shortage as the net result is not necessarily related at all to carbon tax.  Sometimes to change people's behaviour that are ie. unhealthy, wasteful or harmful can be different metjhods:

*regulate/impose law on over-use of nonbiodegradable products  (private industry WON'T do this voluntarily unless there is money-saving or profit motive or keeping employees)

*let people die/get sick first....so others /they themselves "learn' and adopt better habits

*don't make car ownership a status symbol.....because it is among mainland Chinese and many other people elsewhere

*don't build cities with a lot of urban sprawl:  it costs municipality to build more roads, utility lines, ...all that requires energy AND staff. And requires people to commute longer between work and home. 

Car drivers in North America are spoiled. In some European countries, car owners are heavily taxed. Or car drivers are asked to drive only on certain days....for city/country to control fossil fuel emissions.

I'm actually disappointed there is enormous drive by mainland China to own and drive cars. What they do better than North America: is their rail system, high speed trains.  We are pathetic in North America and we have large mass of land to move people.

There is a real need for federal and state governments to put more research money into cheaply desalinating water and creating inter-connecting water systems. Since 75% of fresh water is used for irrigation and 50% of that is lost to evaporation, better irrigation methods (drip tubes/pipes?) have to be developed and required. There are times the Great Lakes are so low that ore ships have trouble reaching the docks.  Georgia tried to claim it's boundary was drawn wrong and tried to steal a river from Tennessee.  Lake Mead is very low.  Meanwhile, we have the same population of citizens and illegal aliens as the core nations of the European Union but our immigration policies mean we will have twice the core-EU's population at the end of the century.  Where are the resources going to come from to service that many comfortably?

A generation ago, scientists were saying the Mid-Atlantic states should experience a mild rise in temperature but a lot more rain.

That seems to be the pattern over the past few years so we may be ok water-wise.  Up through the 90's, we had a lot of summers where we had to semi-ration public water with no-lawn-watering or water on even days for even house numbers and odd for odd.  Now we have lots of water and the reservoirs get high enough in the Spring to avoid that problem.

In any 12 month period, our average is 42 inches of rain. In the past 12 months we've had 73 inches.  There's normally around 110 days when there's some precipitation. In 2018 there were 145 days.  So far this year, every month has had more precipitation days than no-precipitation days except one with 14 precip. days.  I managed to sneak-in a walk with Jake last Thursday between periods of rain and it's rained every day since.  Tomorrow, the rain's supposed to be later in the evening so I'm hoping to walk him in the early afternoon.

29 minutes ago, Shu Fang said:

So, who won the argument in this debate?

I'm assuming RG was once again the voice or reason and naturally persuaded everyone to his side of the argument.  He always does that.

Shu Fang

People are going to heat their homes with nuclear polar bears in the future, you watch. 

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Shu Fang said:

So, who won the argument in this debate?

...I had assumed that the conservative forum element would cut and run when I hit them with the double whammy of high fructose corn syrup instead of maple, and the prospect of wheat beer.  Those were two of my best shots, and they went nowhere. :(  I don't know who won, but it wasn't me.

• Awesome 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Page Turner said:

...I had assumed that the conservative forum element would cut and run when I hit them with the double whammy of high fructose corn syrup instead of maple, and the prospect of wheat beer.  Those were two of my best shots, and they went nowhere. :(  I don't know who won, but it wasn't me.

No one's falling for the HFC syrup arguments anymore. :(  We are now - officially - post-reason and into nonsensical head-in-the-sand territory.  I prefer the bury-a-few-grams-of-radioactive-waste-in-the-sand approach, but, like I write, I only need this joint held together for another 50 (maybe 60) years!  I would like to thank RG for his level-headed responses, as opposed to the more mamby-pamby stuff offered by some others.

53 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

No one's falling for the HFC syrup arguments anymore. :(  We are now - officially - post-reason and into nonsensical head-in-the-sand territory.  I prefer the bury-a-few-grams-of-radioactive-waste-in-the-sand approach, but, like I write, I only need this joint held together for another 50 (maybe 60) years!  I would like to thank RG for his level-headed responses, as opposed to the more mamby-pamby stuff offered by some others.

Go to Vermont. Go to New Hampshire. Go to Maine. Get some real maple syrup, you sap.

8 hours ago, wilbur said:

I went nucular.  I win.  

GWB

...you did float the single most nonsensical idea: that we could take advantage of the situation with floating helium farms that would produce increased crop yields on greenhouse earth.  So yes, I guess maybe you did.  Or were you suggesting we all grow magic beans that would reach waaay up into the sky to take advantage of all that CO 2 trapped in the upper atmosphere ?

I confess that one had me grinning from ear to ear. :) 

2 minutes ago, Page Turner said:

...I get my maple syrup at Trader Joe's, like any real, patriotic American.

Yeah - my wife does that.  Dopey. Why get that yucky stuff when the Aunt Jemima or Log Cabin stuff is readily available at all fine grocery stores?