The Tater Tot

Parr8hed

They sometimes have them in the work cafeteria (instead of french fries) and it always strikes me as sort of an odd food to have in the work setting, but it is a nice potato variation to have in the rotation.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

14 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Got a recipe for that GREATNESS????

It's in this book.

Image result for hot dish heaven

She calls it Casserole, but that ain't right.

Tater Tot Casserole

For you tradition lovers, here is a more standard version of this dish. I found this recipe in the book “Hot Dish Heaven” by Ann Burckhardt, and it is similar to the one served by the Sheldon High School cooks. 

1 lb. ground beef or turkey
1 onion, chopped
2 cups (about 8 ounces) of frozen vegetables such as peas and carrots or mixed vegetables
1 can (10 ounces) of cream of chicken or cream of mushroom soup
½ cup milk
16 ounces of frozen Tater Tots

Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees. 

In a large skillet, brown the meat and onion lightly. Spread in a shallow 9x13-inch baking dish. Spread the vegetables over the meat, making an even layer. Stir together the soup and milk until smooth. Drizzle soup mixture over vegetables. Arrange tater tots in a single layer over the soup. 

Bake for 1 hour or until the tater tots are browned.  

40 minutes ago, jsharr said:

What about McCain's Tasti Taters or Tater Crisps?

Are they the same thing?  I have seen them but not eaten them.

On a side note, McCains is from just upriver of where I grew up.  My cousim married a McCain daughter so I qas to one of their houses years after the wedding

17 minutes ago, dennis said:

It's in this book.

Image result for hot dish heaven

She calls it Casserole, but that ain't right.

Tater Tot Casserole

For you tradition lovers, here is a more standard version of this dish. I found this recipe in the book “Hot Dish Heaven” by Ann Burckhardt, and it is similar to the one served by the Sheldon High School cooks. 

1 lb. ground beef or turkey
1 onion, chopped
2 cups (about 8 ounces) of frozen vegetables such as peas and carrots or mixed vegetables
1 can (10 ounces) of cream of chicken or cream of mushroom soup
½ cup milk
16 ounces of frozen Tater Tots

Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees. 

In a large skillet, brown the meat and onion lightly. Spread in a shallow 9x13-inch baking dish. Spread the vegetables over the meat, making an even layer. Stir together the soup and milk until smooth. Drizzle soup mixture over vegetables. Arrange tater tots in a single layer over the soup. 

Bake for 1 hour or until the tater tots are browned.  

Yum. I can delete the meat and replace with some beans.  That will be TASTY!  I'm sure @jsharr will also disagree with my using Campbell's cream of mushroom "soup", but he can prepare his however he likes!

6 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

Are they the same thing?  I have seen them but not eaten them.

On a side note, McCains is from just upriver of where I grew up.  My cousim married a McCain daughter so I qas to one of their houses years after the wedding

They appear to be.  Tater tots are just like little nuggets of hash brown that are deep fried so they are crisp outside.  

• Awesome 1

4 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Yum. I can delete the meat and replace with some beans.  That will be TASTY!  I'm sure @jsharr will also disagree with my using Campbell's cream of mushroom "soup", but he can prepare his however he likes!

I may try this one.  Sort of a shepards pie.  Maybe top it with some brown gravy.

https://www.spendwithpennies.com/tater-tot-casserole-slow-cooker-recipe/

• Heart 1

4 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

Wouldn't that be where all the used oil I have been dumping into the neighbor's garden has eventually ended up?  Talk about recycling! A new chance for humanity :D

No, the dinosaurs on the cool side drink the oil.   They will switch sides with us, just like last time.    We go back to living in caves and the dinos clean up the dirty side of the disc.

• Heart 1

23 hours ago, jsharr said:

Sonic has good toys but you know this already as a Texan

Sushy..... I don't have money now because the damn town we live in... I just protested my home taxes and they are ripping me off still. :(