Walmart's Saving Catcher's Last Day!

MickinMD

I redeemed $0.13 today that I had won by submitting my Walmart Receipt to its Savings Catcher program, which matched advertised prices by competitors and credited your Savings Catcher account with the difference of your submitted receipts if any local stores (60 in my area) had a lower price.  It was my last redemption in that program because it ended today.

It might cost Walmart more than it saves because I and others using the program would pick up stuff (almost always groceries) whose price seemed a little high because we knew the Savings Catcher would credit us with the difference if Target, Costco, Dollar Tree, Supermarkets, etc. were lower.

This is a good example of little things adding up.  Walmart says that from Jan. 23, 2015 to May 14, 2019, I was credited with $298.18, but my budget spreadsheet shows it was $320.80.

Interestingly, my Walmart shopping is at least 80% food so it's not like I stopped buying it, but my Walmart shopping decreased each year and in 2019 the rewards dropped to less than 1% of my receipt totals even though it average 2.68% overall (and 3.5%-4% off groceries). I think the other stores are catching up!

974471817_CombinedFinalReceiptEndNotice.thumb.jpg.36d248aa628cc5e4477496ad760a8ced.jpg1701156634_WalmartFinalSavingsCatcher320.80savings.jpg.ba630f3a01a4e46ca414661458536ac5.jpg

12 hours ago, Airehead said:

I think consumers thought it was complicated

It did get complicated in the last several months when you had to use your smartphone's Walmart app while checking out.  Before that, all you had to do was scan the receipt with the app or type the receipt's number into a webpage box.

For $320.80, it was worth it to me and I also used a 2% cash-back credit card (Citi Double Cash Mastercard) except when Chase Freedom Visa has an occasional 3-month 5% cash-back at Walmart promotion.  So that's over $200 more back.

Add that to the 2%-5% cash-back I get for my telephone, newspaper, Internet, and other monthly bills as well as anyplace else I use a charge card, and it averages around $800/year total back on avg. spending.

• Heart 2