Sad Day

Kirby

MomKirby passed away this morning.   It was as unexpected as it could be for a 90 year old woman with a variety of illnesses.  She felt fine on Sunday and we had a lovely Mother's Day dinner, but she started to have stomach pains Monday night.  She went to the hospital on Tuesday and they ran a bunch of tests which were inconclusive and she took a turn for the worse overnight and passed this morning.   I'm still in a bit of shock, but this was the sort of death she'd want if she had to choose, so that's a good thing.

• Sad 21

So sorry for your loss.  You were fortunate to have her to age 90.  My next door neighbor with be 95 in July and is one month younger than my late mother, who passed away at 79. He quit smoking in his 30's and he's a reminder of what might have been if she had quit smoking. Her sister is beginning to lose mental faculties but it still enjoying life and will be 99 in August - never smoked.

• Heart 1

11 minutes ago, Airehead said:

How will you celebrate her life, @Kirby

After the burial we'll head to that old restaurant up in the Catskills and we'll see if my wild sister gets the open faced turkey sandwich in her honor or if she continues to insist on her wild food choices.  :nodhead:

• Heart 3

17 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

I am very sorry to hear this, Kirby!  It was so nice that you had a great mother’s day together, you are a good daughter.  

How are you holding up?

Thanks.  Mostly well, but it still hits in waves every so often.  But all the tests that they did at the hospital revealed a number of little things that only would have gotten worse in the coming months.  These things could have impacted her quality of life significantly, so I know she would be thankful for how things played out.

• Sad 2