I want a fireplace

petitepedal

So...there are limitations being in my condo...we are talking "electric"..I want it for ambiance over "heat"..The wall I would put it on is 10 feet long but contains 7 feet of heat run (which my maintenance guy suggests..I do not remove)...SO...options...#1 a corner one (below my AC unit...and along heat runs) #2 a traditional mantle that will have a 2 inch gap at the back to leave space due to the heat run...(there is some suggestion that it might be possible to cut out the sides and snug it up over the heat run...but  :dontknow:)  and the last option #3 one of those modern inserts that is mounted on/in the wall.

So far...the only thing I am fairly sure of is the color...white..

So peeps..google, or just give me your 2cents...think of it like buying a car...Oh $$$ lets try to keep it in the $500 to $800 range...although I have seen a couple at $1,200...they would require a good sale for me to bite!!

You will not like my suggestion, but I would save the money for some other project, unless your current heat does not do the job of heating your condo.  But hey, that is just me, and we've lived in this place for 30+years, with the only  renovation bring replacement of a deteriorating porch with a 3-season room.

• Heart 1

Electric heat + electric fireplace = higher electric bill.

while you noted various mounting options, if you fave a wall mounted tv, don’t place a heat source under it. Also, above mantle tv mounting has been popular, besides heat, creates a very awkward angle for viewing from a sitting position.

Fire places.... unless gas... are not always glamorous and rosy. They are a lot of work feeding the stove. Your job is to acquire firewood, stack that firewood, let that firewood dry or season, and transfer that firewood from stack to stove, and that stack needs to be far enough away from the home to keep the bugs out. It can be messy too. Or you pay through the roof and buy the kiln dried firewood at the grocery store -- in which owning that stove may be more to run it than electric or oil heat.

If you still want one, and don't mind the exercise, get a new certified one. Not just better for the environment but they seriously put out they heat. Many come with fans that will circulate the heat throughout the space.

• Confused 1

25 minutes ago, Dottie said:

Fire places.... unless gas... are not always glamorous and rosy. They are a lot of work feeding the stove. Your job is to acquire firewood, stack that firewood, let that firewood dry or season, and transfer that firewood from stack to stove, and that stack needs to be far enough away from the home to keep the bugs out. It can be messy too. Or you pay through the roof and buy the kiln dried firewood at the grocery store -- in which owning that stove may be more to run it than electric or oil heat.

If you still want one, and don't mind the exercise, get a new certified one. Not just better for the environment but they seriously put out they heat. Many come with fans that will circulate the heat throughout the space.

Dottie - reading comprehension...

She is looking at an electric faarplace.

#forparr8 

• Awesome 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Dottie said:

Pig pits -- delicious artery cloggers. Also seem to be better in Hawaii for some reason.

You can use as an "earth oven"!!! It ain't just for pigs.  No one in Hawaii is thinking of installing an electric "fireplace" :D  And, petite's skills and talents are definitely in high demand on the islands.  She could choose her new home and live the dream.

• Heart 1

12 minutes ago, Dottie said:

The only way to make a living on the islands is to suck the tit of a hotel or restaurant.  No thanks.  Now if you have @Prophet Zacharia cash, you could stare into the ocean from your posh living room and listen to the waves crashing on the beach. You might even hear a conch blown.

I would bet that even on the islands that they need some blood cleanin'.

5 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

I would bet that even on the islands that they need some blood cleanin'.

Yeah. They’ve got hospitals. On every inhabited island, too. 

I’ve been watching Hawaii Life pretty regularly. Getting a sense as to what house prices are on each island. And I even found the perfect job, except it’s three years too early to make that move. And I don’t know which island that job will be one, as I found it through a headhunter website. Probably Oahu, but I can sacrifice.

As to the OP, I recommend an alcohol fire place if you need heat but don’t have ventilation. We have one in our basement and really like it when we watch movies or sports down there.

• Heart 2

1 minute ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

As to the OP, I recommend an alcohol

I already recommended an alcohol a few posts ago.

Good luck on the move.  I am about 7 years away.  Once the kid is in college I look to join the ranks of the traveling RV nurses.  I wonder if I could just set up a mobile blood cleanin' trailer and go around to campgrounds to clean blood?

2 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

I already recommended an alcohol a few posts ago.

Good luck on the move.  I am about 7 years away.  Once the kid is in college I look to join the ranks of the traveling RV nurses.  I wonder if I could just set up a mobile blood cleanin' trailer and go around to campgrounds to clean blood?

An alcohol FIREPLACE. Not just a drink order.

A mobile dialysis center, parked at a different beach each day? Seems ideal.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

An alcohol FIREPLACE. Not just a drink order.

A mobile dialysis center, parked at a different beach each day? Seems ideal.

Right next to my mobile margarita dispensary .    You could do a renal fellowship and we could make it a team effort.  

31 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

What’s their potassium? Take off two liters and then check their orthostatics. 

Can I have salt on the rim, please?

I think I’m ready, now.

You've officially passed your renal boards.  

• Haha 1