Drone pilot charged.

maddmaxx

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/crime-courts/drone-pilot-charged-violating-secure-airspace-over-two-nfl-games-n1006241

It's been over a year and a half since the crime but a drone pilot has been charged for violating protected airspace during leaflet drops over two football games in 2017.  During one of the drops, police followed the drone back to the operator and confiscated his equipment along with the self incriminating photos taken from the drone during the flight.  Bragging about the event on Facebook isn't going to help his case either.  

IMO this used to be a fun hobby that is being ruined by assholes.

• Heart 3

4 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Sounds like Da Man is stifling innovation :( Putting his thumb on entrepreneurs and retarding the innovations that would come from more folks using this tech for forward thinking tasks - like pamphlet drops!

Da man encourages drone flight and innovation.  Da man hates assholes who fly in restricted airspace while breaking all sorts of laws involving drone flight over crowds.  I haven't determined from this article if the pilot was even registered to fly a drone.  Certainly he did not have a commercial license.  You wouldn't stand for it if it were a private airplane so why give any hint of an excuse to an illegal drone flight.

I still remember the 1979 incident when a fan was killed by an RC plane during a halftime show in Shea Stadium.

• Heart 1

I'm to the point, I am sick of freaking drones.  At one time I thought it seemed cool and thought about getting into it, but so sick of people flying them over my house anymore.  Considering how far they are traveling to go back to where they came from and the altitude they are often at, I know they can't be maintaining visual of their drone.  To many tall houses in the way.

19 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

I still remember the 1979 incident when a fan was killed by an RC plane during a halftime show in Shea Stadium.

You remember this because it was (and still is) so shockingly RARE. 

Da Man is SQUASHING INNOVATION!!!!!

13 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

You remember this because it was (and still is) so shockingly RARE. 

Da Man is SQUASHING INNOVATION!!!!!

It is rare because the government has laws against it now.  I can't help it if JQ public is too stupid to be trusted with dangerous toys.

12 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

It is rare because the government has laws against it now.  I can't help it if JQ public is too stupid to be trusted with dangerous toys.

???? 

Dangerous as in "one person killed in the past 45 years" dangerous?  Or some other metric?

3 hours ago, Indy said:

I'm to the point, I am sick of freaking drones.  At one time I thought it seemed cool and thought about getting into it, but so sick of people flying them over my house anymore.  Considering how far they are traveling to go back to where they came from and the altitude they are often at, I know they can't be maintaining visual of their drone.  To many tall houses in the way.

I get sick of them at campgrounds.  The one exception is the people that have youtube channels and/or facebook pages and review campgrounds.  One cat that I followed took a drone and filmed above the campground and put it on the youtubes.  It is kinda neat to see that if you are trying to decide where to park your camper for the night.   

19 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

I get sick of them at campgrounds.  The one exception is the people that have youtube channels and/or facebook pages and review campgrounds.  One cat that I followed took a drone and filmed above the campground and put it on the youtubes.  It is kinda neat to see that if you are trying to decide where to park your camper for the night.   

And it help find the bodies.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Parr8hed said:

I have a friend who must be cursed.  Random things just happen.  He bought a brand new camper, we were meeting him for the inaugural trip.  He got all backed in, no issues.  Within 2 minutes a diving RC plane couldn't pull up and crashed right through his roof.

• Haha 3

24 minutes ago, 12string said:

I have a friend who must be cursed.  Random things just happen.  He bought a brand new camper, we were meeting him for the inaugural trip.  He got all backed in, no issues.  Within 2 minutes a diving RC plane couldn't pull up and crashed right through his roof.

I would have been sofa king pissed.  

Just for the record, in the 12 hours that have elapsed since this thread started, an average of 50 Americans have died in traffic accidents.  Another 50 Americans will have died from gunshots.  In the past TWELVE hours.  Sort of puts the drone danger hysteria into perspective.

40 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Just for the record, in the 12 hours that have elapsed since this thread started, an average of 50 Americans have died in traffic accidents.  Another 50 Americans will have died from gunshots.  In the past TWELVE hours.  Sort of puts the drone danger hysteria into perspective.

Yep.  From now on we are going to ignore people killed or injured by drones because they are insignificant.

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

How so?  Do you know for a fact those shot were not hit by stray bullets from people trying to shoot down drones, or the drones themselves were not armed?  Do you know the traffic accidents were not caused by people distracted by a drone flying around?  I bet you can't definitively say it none of that happened, so drones are a real danger.

• Awesome 1

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

Do you have to work hard at being a dolt or does it come naturally?   asking for a friend

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

in the last 12 hours, 720 people died from hunger.  So you can't talk about cars or guns, either.

• Sad 1

18 hours ago, 12string said:

in the last 12 hours, 720 people died from hunger.  So you can't talk about cars or guns, either.

I'll go out on a limb, and estimate that in the past 3,650 days, no American has died of hunger (without a specific wish to not be kept alive with extraordinary measures like a feeding tube).

So, nope. I'll keep thinking higher visibility issue in America and the court system would be guns, drunk driving, suicide/mental health, and other things actually causing huge amounts of pain, suffering, and loss in America. 

Of course, for all I know, the drone guy is just arguing a ticket with a $50 fine? In that case, I think that's fair enough. But he better not have lost his drone!  Oh, and put him on litter patrol to clean up those pamphlets.

15 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

I move that a law be passed prohibiting stupid posts.  With the frequency that they occur, the courts could stay seriously busy for decades.

Guess this forum will soon be banned.  ?