Get your pho on

Dottleshead

18 hours ago, ChrisL said:

I need to find a new pho place, mine changed ownership and isn’t as good. 

Lately we have been getting udon over pho. Udon noodles don’t spike my glucose like rice noodles do.

I had udon last night.  We are so lucky to have had a new Japanese place around us open up that's really, really good.  Their udon and ramen soups are the bomb -- and their sushi is delish too.

• Heart 2

Just now, Page Turner said:

...one of the Ramen places I had stopped eating at changed hands. Now it's better and I can eat there again. :loveshower:

Actually ramen is my least favorite noodles.  The texture of the noodle doesn’t do it for me but they are really popular here too.

I told the wife it’s Udon night tonight!

2 minutes ago, Dottie said:

Fact is, the Asians have AMAZING soups.  I would rather have Thai, Korean, Vietnamese, and many of the soups out of the Chinese provinces any day.

My mom made an Indonesian veggie soup called Sayur Asem. Sweet/salty/tangy all in one and loaded with various veg.  I found a seasoning packet that is close to hers but of course she made it from scratch. 

Couldn't get that recipe out of her brain  after her stroke.

Been sleeping badly again, but did an arm workout this morning. I took a pot pill about 3AM. So I am feeling the aftereffects of that (which isn't much at all, by itself). But I am also physically tired, and sleep deprived.

The wife is volunteering today, which means dinner is on me. I just tried bribing myself with Pho. I have yet to see good Pho in Maine, but I haven't tried this place.

Hasn't worked so far. But I do love good soup. If I can get moving, I am going to make smoked salmon mac n cheese.

Back in the 70s there was a macrobiotic restaurant in NH. My job had me going home from Vt, back to Me, for the weekends. I really enjoyed their soup, I swear I could feel it healing me up after I had it. I know that sounds crazy, but it's true.

I'm envious of you West Coast guys. You have great Asian restaurants, people that play Go, and a lot less winter than we do.

3 minutes ago, Dottie said:

I'm sorry to read that.

After her stroke I would come by her house and cook our favorite dishes.  If I asked her, hey how do you make Sayur she’d draw a blank.  But if I had all of the ingredients out and said hey let’s make Sayur she could make it.  

I got several recipes out of her that way but there were some ingredients that make the salt/sweet/tangy base in Sayur I didn’t know and she couldn’t remember.

• Heart 1

So many noodle variations and ways of making..but usually consommé based..which is the strength of Asian soups.  It took awhile for me to find European soups that had same appeal...(beyond canned cream of tomato and mushroom soups)..so I landed on pureed veggie soups.

I personally find udon noodle a little heavy.  Rice vermicelli is ok for me after 1 meal, I need to avoid too much rice-based stuff since I feel tired afterwards :( 

So I like certain types of lighter Asian egg noodle or flour noodle Asian style, usually not as wide and buckwheat noodle.  I like ramen also. And so much choice on what to put in the soup. Sliced hard boiled egg or drop a raw egg in hot consommé soup stock and whip quickly to cook egg. If there's already veggies in soup....very healthy.

When shopping in Asian supermarkets, I look for:

• dry noodles:  least amount artificial ingredients. 
  • freshly made:  locally made with an expiry date that's not too far out.  That means less chemicals (to me).  At least a local producer in same state/province or next door.  If you buy noodles with abit flour dust sticking to it....it really is freshly made. :)