Dog food

a bunch of numbers

6 minutes ago, Rick5234 said:

Apparently anything that costs less than $70 for 25lbs is not recommended.   My poor dog...

https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/purina-pro-plan-sport/

My pup gets the mid-priced name brand dry kibble stuff and I alternate through lamb, chicken, turkey, salmon, and beef (keeps her guessing and interested).

Realistically, the best would be homemade in the right blend for her size and weight, but I'd be more likely to screw that up than dog food makers.  My friends make their dog's food in batches, and it seems overkill.  If I thought it would noticeably improve my pups quality or length of life, I'd change things, but I am not convinced it would.

This food got decent rankings here https://topdogtips.com/choices-of-best-cheap-dog-food-products/

https://www.amazon.com/Balance-Natural-Chicken-Potato-Recipe/dp/B00BIYLHX6?tag=tdt01-20&th=1

We buy from Pet Smart and usually pay around $40 for a big bag.  We also get dry kibble from Dallas Street Dog Advocates when they are overstocked on donations and we are fostering.  We are not brand loyal and will often buy what is on sale.

I fed my last dogs purina dog chow.  It was about $23 for 48lbs.  The dog I have now I've stepped up to Purina Pro Sport that I can get for $39 for 38lbs.  So I was wondering what the difference was, that's how I stumbled on the reviews.  But I guess my point was that they don't really give anything a passing grade unless it's around $70 for 25lbs.  I guess there are some dog food snobs out there.

We have Jack on Iams dry & canned.  A small scoop of both 2X daily and an occasional snack or 6 a day...

Cost really isn’t an issue as he doesn’t eat much.  We actually plumped him up but good the first month we had him as we were used to feeding a 50 lb dog.... I noticed he was looking like jabba the hut and thought... Hmm maybe we are giving him too much food...

• Haha 1

We have used the Balanced or Nutro for our dogs.  For years they ate Iams but one of our dogs reacted to something in it so we had to switch brands

Early on in our dog owner years we had some purina but my dogs shit way more on that then any other food,  so we did not get any more.  Just too many undigestable fillers maybe.  I dunno

20 hours ago, Zephyr said:

We have used the Balanced or Nutro for our dogs.  For years they ate Iams but one of our dogs reacted to something in it so we had to switch brands

Early on in our dog owner years we had some purina but my dogs shit way more on that then any other food,  so we did not get any more.  Just too many undigestable fillers maybe.  I dunno

Hmm, Ruby does poop up a storm, and she is on half Purina and half some super expensive stuff.

21 hours ago, ChrisL said:

We have Jack on Iams dry & canned.  A small scoop of both 2X daily and an occasional snack or 6 a day...

Cost really isn’t an issue as he doesn’t eat much.  We actually plumped him up but good the first month we had him as we were used to feeding a 50 lb dog.... I noticed he was looking like jabba the hut and thought... Hmm maybe we are giving him too much food...

Ruby stopped eating dry food so now we put broth on it, and she ballooned up then.  We cut back on the amount and now she is back to fighting weight.

We probably shouldn't do this due to the salt.  I think the vet recommended it.

We feed a decent food and supplement with fruits, veggies, raw meats, and whole grains. For breakfast they get yogurt and fruit on the kibble. Ryan has taken to hating yogurt but he likes berries. Lindy likes breakfast. Ylva inhales her food and then enjoys licking her bowl and the boys’ bowls too  she is in the clean plate club  they leave a mess  

True story, our pups are weaned to an all raw diet. Ryan was such a little sassy guy that he decided not to eat it. He refused beef and chicken because he wanted dry kibble. Dogs are crazy. 

• Heart 2