Big deal, no big deal?

ChrisL

So my daughter is finishing her dental hygiene program and has her pinning ceremony tomorrow.  She already passed the state test and just needs to do her practical and she’ll be licensed.

As she already has her undergrad and we already had a party & gave her a grad gift, I didn’t plan anything for this.  My wife and SIL are both giving me grief saying we should at least have a party.  For what says me...  I already told my daughter this weekend was about her cousins grad and that she already had her party so don’t expect anything special for this...

WOChrisL says I’m a grump.  Am I missing something here?  

4 minutes ago, Dottie said:

Maybe take her out to dinner and call it good. 

At the least, that's a nice reward for a job well done.  No need for a party. Heck, a college graduation party is overkill.  High school? Sure.  After that, it's smaller things like a nice dinner or a SMALL get together. And a card and/or some cash.

• Heart 3

1 minute ago, ChrisL said:

Uh well that would be every Friday night... We spring for family dinner night out.

Then get her a $100 Amazon card.  I mean it should just be a 'token' of your appreciation.  Her reward is the cash she's going to earn over the years -- at least until she gets tired of it and wants to try something else.  :)

• Heart 1

6 minutes ago, Dottie said:

Then get her a $100 Amazon card.  I mean it should just be a 'token' of your appreciation.  Her reward is the cash she's going to earn over the years -- at least until she gets tired of it and wants to try something else.  :)

Going rate in SoCal is $50 an hour and her program has had a 100% hire rate the past few years.  Our Dentist said he’d hire her if there is an opening at his office when she’s licensed. 

• Heart 2

2 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Going rate in SoCal is $50 an hour and her program has had a 100% hire rate the past few years.  Our Dentist said he’d hire her if there is an opening at his office when she’s licensed. 

Did you pay for her dental hygienist schooling? If so, she should throw you a party. If not, dinner and a card would be a very nice gesture on your part.

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Did you pay for her dental hygienist schooling? If so, she should throw you a party. If not, dinner and a card would be a very nice gesture on your part.

No we told our kids  we’d cover undergrad and that’s it.  We did help with some of the equipment as there was a pretty substantial start up expense for equipment.

8 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

But maybe a NICER spot?  Or are the rich CAlifornians hitting the fancy schmancy spots every Friday already?!?!?!?

Point of contention with my wife but I told her if she wants to see her children regularly buy them dinner.  It’s usually tacos, Chinese, Hawaiian BBQ, not spendy  places but dinner for 6 (SIL and sons GF) is usually close to $100.

10 minutes ago, 2Far said:

I'm just wondering why the hell its up to you to plan the party? That's what your wife is for.

If'n it was up to me, I'd invite your MIL. That'd fix your nuts. 

No MIL!  She’d never leave...  The discussion is whether or not to have a party, SIL and wife would plan.  I’m just the grump saying no...

6 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

No MIL!  She’d never leave...  The discussion is whether or not to have a party, SIL and wife would plan.  I’m just the grump saying no...

How about SiL and wife plan the party and hold it at the SiL's place and you just show up???

Maybe you pay for the booze?

• Heart 1

20 minutes ago, Kirby said:

My general view is life is hard enough and you should never pass up a reason to celebrate. or make good people feel appreciated.  I don't think it needs to be anything elaborate, but a small celebration is nice.  

And CAKE(!!!!).  Cake should definitely be included. Or pie. Or, better, pie AND cake.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Kirby said:

My general view is life is hard enough and you should never pass up a reason to celebrate. or make good people feel appreciated.  I don't think it needs to be anything elaborate, but a small celebration is nice. 

The frog is wise

• Heart 3
  • Awesome 1

11 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

Nope. Smaller.  Remember ChrisL already spent big bucks on this young lady.

Remember this young lady may be working on ChrisL's teeth in the near future! :nodhead:

• Heart 2