Cooking related How do you add heat ?

Further

When I just want some heat, no particular flavor, just add some hot, I've been going with plain old crushed red pepper. Seems to add heat without throwing the flavor off the track, and is very linear, the more you add the hotter it gets.

So how do you heat up your food ? 

I agree, ground red pepper is a common one for me.   Can be hidden and blends easier than red pepper flakes.  And jalapenos are perfect for raman noodle soup, although I don't really eat that any more.  They add crunch too!  Everything is better with jalapenoes!

And of course there is always hot sauce - best for chili.

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

1 hour ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

I agree, ground red pepper is a common one for me.   Can be hidden and blends easier than red pepper flakes.  And jalapenos are perfect for raman noodle soup, although I don't really eat that any more.  They add crunch too!  Everything is better with jalapenoes!

And of course there is always hot sauce - best for chili.

I was gonna say Louisiana hot sauce. 

Sambal Olek  --buy the brand that produces the original siracha.  Please buy this brand.....true Asian companies often do such ingredients....the best.  All you need is a tiny 1/8 or 1/4 tsp. when sauteeing your onions, ginger, etc. ..before throwing in meat/veggies.  That's enough for spicy dish for 2-3 people.   It's that spicy. 

It's slight watery paste..which is why it has best heat..that's controllable.  Do not add this at the end, it won't blend into cooked dish.

Usually 1 jar ….lasts me over 6-8 months.  Keep in fridge. It's not expensive.

It has Malalysian and Thai origins.... the countries with centuries long tradition of some spicy culinary techniques.

This brand should be available at any national grocery chains where they have other "ethnic" foods.  Probably in area where soy sauce choices can be found.

https://www.gourmetsleuth.com/ingredients/detail/sambal-oelek     I learned how to use this product from a Malaysian-Chinese roommate over 3 decades ago.

Image result for sambal oelek californai

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

I love jalapeño in the right dish. However, they can sometimes add a “green” flavor that doesn’t always work. I prefer habanero though you have to be more judicious in application. My friend in the Caymans brought me some Scotch Bonnet sauce that is similar in flavor and effect. White peppercorns can add a slight brightness without changing the flavor much 

• Heart 1

9 hours ago, shootingstar said:

Sambal Olek  --buy the brand that produces the original siracha.  Please buy this brand.....true Asian companies often do such ingredients....the best.  All you need is a tiny 1/8 or 1/4 tsp. when sauteeing your onions, ginger, etc. ..before throwing in meat/veggies.  That's enough for spicy dish for 2-3 people.   It's that spicy. 

It's slight watery paste..which is why it has best heat..that's controllable.  Do not add this at the end, it won't blend into cooked dish.

It has Malalysian and Thai origins.... the countries with centuries long tradition of some spicy culinary techniques.

This brand should be available at any national grocery chains where they have other "ethnic" foods.  Probably in area where soy sauce choices can be found.

https://www.gourmetsleuth.com/ingredients/detail/sambal-oelek     I learned how to use this product from a Malaysian-Chinese roommate over 3 decades ago.

I always have a jar of this on hand.  Great stuff

10 hours ago, groupw said:

I love jalapeño in the right dish. However, they can sometimes add a “green” flavor that doesn’t always work. I prefer habanero though you have to be more judicious in application. My friend in the Caymans brought me some Scotch Bonnet sauce that is similar in flavor and effect. White peppercorns can add a slight brightness without changing the flavor much 

Yep, I think of jalapeno as a flavor

On 5/18/2019 at 11:04 AM, shootingstar said:

Bought and used this tonight. 

Thank You Shootingstar   Good stuff   :nodhead:

• Heart 1

I keep crushed red pepper flakes, powdered cayenne (red) pepper, and horseradish on hand.

For chili and meat rubs/sauces I add powdered cayenne pepper.  But a lot of heat doesn't agree with me so it's often a fraction of a teaspoon.

For some dishes I add crushed red pepper, usually when the recipe calls for it.

The horseradish is usually reserved for serving with ham or in cocktail sauce with shrimp.

On 5/18/2019 at 11:04 AM, shootingstar said:

It looks like I will have to try this, too!

Oddly enough, I can tell that Red Pepper flakes have been added, and other than pizza, not a fan.  I prefer to add heat WITH flavor, I think heat for heat's sake  is overdone.  Curry, Horseradish, radish are all go tos.  I also make my own hot sauce, with the key ingredients serrano peppers, molasses, tequila.  Not super hot, but warm flavor, too.