Damn

petitepedal

Our old maintenance guy was here...I need a new gasket between the tank and the bowl on the toilet but the nasty rusted bolts will make it a bigger job....he suggested a new toilet...:runcirclsmiley:

I guess I should look into a comfort height...and get ready for old age :frantics:  Damn it there goes the fireplace :(

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, petitepedal said:

Our old maintenance guy was here...I need a new gasket between the tank and the bowl on the toilet but the nasty rusted bolts will make it a bigger job....he suggested a new toilet...:runcirclsmiley:

I guess I should look into a comfort height...and get ready for old age :frantics:  Damn it there goes the fireplace :(

Who will sit on the tall throne.  Tune in Sumday night for season 8's final episode.

• Heart 2
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, petitepedal said:

That's what we just did. $800 installed. 

12 minutes ago, petitepedal said:

but the nasty rusted bolts will make it a bigger job....he suggested a new toilet...:runcirclsmiley:

...is this guy a millennial ? If I tossed something every time I ran into a few rusted bolts or nuts I wouldn't even have 1 bicycle.

• Awesome 3

I have a perfectly good toilet on my front porch you can have. Esther wanted the taller toilet in both bathrooms. Now that’s not even tall enough so I have handicap toilet over the tall toilet. It has hand grips on it. I was thinking about going full redneck and planting flowers in the one on the front porch.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

I have a perfectly good toilet on my front porch you can have. Esther wanted the taller toilet in both bathrooms. Now that’s not even tall enough so I have handicap toilet over the tall toilet. It has hand grips on it. I was thinking about going full redneck and planting flowers in the one on the front porch.

I did that, but in New England the bowl cracked in half first freeze.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

40 minutes ago, petitepedal said:

I installed the higher one, and its so much better

2 hours ago, 2Far said:

That's what we just did. $800 installed. 

That’s nuts.  

HD has a large selection of quality toilets in the $200 range.  Add $1.50 for a wax ring.  Your part time maintenance friend can  swap that out in less than a half hour.  

In the same time he could grind the bolts  and replace the flapper valve assembly for $20.

• Heart 2

18 minutes ago, smudge said:

HoSmudge installed a taller toilet in the upstairs bathroom and another at camp. I have a 28" inseam; I prefer the shorter toilet in the downstairs bathroom and the outhouse at camp!

I totally understand, @petitepedal!

29" here, I have trouble flatfooting the handicapped models.

But....poop happens......

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, wilbur said:

Biggest problem with a diy gasket replacement is cracking the tank.  Especially in older tanks.  A handyman can easily do this job. A good handyman won’t crack the tank..

Most new toilets come with the tank packed separate and you have to mount the tank yourself. They also come with directions, women read directions. They are like a recipe. Petite doesn’t have any trouble following directions. If the toilet doesn’t have any other issues I say she should go with the gasket kit. Ask the friendly folks at Ace Hardware, they will guide you through it.

• Heart 2

2 hours ago, Longjohn said:

Most new toilets come with the tank packed separate and you have to mount the tank yourself. They also come with directions, women read directions. They are like a recipe. Petite doesn’t have any trouble following directions. If the toilet doesn’t have any other issues I say she should go with the gasket kit. Ask the friendly folks at Ace Hardware, they will guide you through it.

this

39 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

Hire a plumber or someone who knows what they are doing.  I've replaced toilets myself, but it isn't fun.  Of course, I have a bad back, so it is out of the question for me now.  

You are supposed to flush the turds out of them and remove any remaining water before you remove the old toilet.

• Confused 1