some pics from work

Further

I had to back my trailer up next to a ladle full of hot steel to load some equipment one time in a steel mill. I had to guide the crane and and unhook the cables. My tires were smoking and the lenses on my marker lights melted off. I was glad the tires didn’t blow while I was standing on the trailer. I got the heck out of the building before I chained down my load.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, onbike1939 said:

worked in an iron foundry

You win, working with hot steel is dirty work but the foundry jobs are the worst. Did you wear a respirator? Did you do any chipping? Driving truck I got to see it all and I decided I didn’t want a foundry job. 

5 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

You win, working with hot steel is dirty work but the foundry jobs are the worst. Did you wear a respirator? Did you do any chipping? Driving truck I got to see it all and I decided I didn’t want a foundry job. 

No........I did nothing but do my best to breath and dodge the hot sparks from the molten steel as it was ladled into the moulds. No safety stuff for legs or any sissy stuff like that and most old hands had burn scars all up the front of their legs. Guys sent up from the Labour Exchange would walk past and out when they saw us working without taking off their lunch satchels.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

5 minutes ago, onbike1939 said:

No........I did nothing but do my best to breath and dodge the hot sparks from the molten steel as it was ladled into the moulds. No safety stuff for legs or any sissy stuff like that and most old hands had burn scars all up the front of their legs. Guys sent up from the Labour Exchange would walk past and out when they saw us working without taking off their lunch satchels.

That’s how they get students to stay in school. If they gave the summer help all the good jobs they would be tempted to drop out of school and just work for a living.

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Longjohn said:

That’s how they get students to stay in school. If they gave the summer help all the good jobs they would be tempted to drop out of school and just work for a living.

These sort of experiences are certainly an incentive to stay and study for qualifications. My workmates were a guy from the local mental hospital, another who couldn't get a job given he had been charged with manslaughter and a Nigerian student. The mental patient came up tops as he found another Foundry job which provided him with overalls and a shorter working week. This gave us some food for thought I can tell you.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, donkpow said:

I need a good charge bucket for my arc furnace. What does a good one go for?

Many, many tens of thousands of dollars.

We used to make a grade that the raw materials for a twenty ton heat was 750,000 dollars, no idea what they sold it for. They are much more secretive with the financials now a days.  

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Further said:

Many, many tens of thousands of dollars.

We used to make a grade that the raw materials for a twenty ton heat was 750,000 dollars, no idea what they sold it for. They are much more secretive with the financials now a days.  

Lowes should have it, shouldn't they?

I was in Home Depot the other day and as I was looking at some products one of the store people asked if I needed help. I said, Yeah I'm looking for X thing in small package size. He says we have this X and that X. So I say I'm looking for smaller qty. He gets a little huffy and says something about these are commercial type products. Well, I smiled and engaged in little tete a tete. After I got home, I'm thinking, So the guy at Home Depot is looking down his nose at me because I'm not looking for commercial product and packaging. :lol:

• Heart 1