1 step ahead, 2 or 3 back

Ralphie

Mrs. Mooseworth and I are both disgusted with our current weight, so we ate salads Thursday and Friday but then the pent up demand let lose on Saturday at a graduation party with oodles of tasty but high cal food.  I did a little better than her since I eschewed instead of chewed the cake, and restrained myself a tad more on the food, but there were the three biers, one of which was a gift so was not planned, but there was also a non-diet ginger ale and on the plus side, a bottle of water.

So today I plan to hit the produce cornucopia store, and stock up on healthy goodies and also hit the garden center for a few tomato and cuke plants.  The problemo is my wife is very oriented toward higher calorie dishes and I can't cook my way oot of a paper bag!  Even by burning it with the gas flames!  Shirley it must be possible to cook low cal meals that she will eat. I am no problem, I will eat almost anything . :D Cookbooks always fail me.  I can stir-fry almost passably, which is all the Chinese place does where we so often eat convenience meals.  I suspect theirs are a lot more calorific than mine though!

Another example - I just now had to finish off the two lemon-ricotta pancakes cooked by my daughter for Mother's Day.  They were delicious, but my role as the designated food disposal is troubling!  My wife told me that the best way to warm them is in pan over a low flame, and damn if she was not correct!  So she has the culinary skills, they just need to be harnessed for good!

• Heart 3

When we are eating well I am prepared in advance. Cook a few vat meals each week that are healthy. Do you like chicken? Mexican? Italian?  Give me some likes and I will give you some easy recipes. 

The baked beans with turkey kielbasa will be a hit come Tuesday when we get home late and tired. Good fiber, full taste, less calories than fast food. The key is to not feel like you are forced to eat salads with cloves. ?

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Airehead said:

The key is to not feel like you are forced to eat salads with cloves. ?

You remembered!  I am touched. :D

Thanks!  I was just thinking after I posted that and then I saw your ramp pesto that you are a great role model for this.

One thing I have really enjoyed in the past is veggie lasagna, although that is more vegetarian than healthy and low cal!  Ricotta or cottage cheese along with spinach and mushrooms really went well together!

We had a really nice meat dish topped with a layer of mashed taters that was tasty yesterday.  I loved mashed taters and could eat them aboot every day but my wife thinks they are empty carbohydrate calories.

I think one thing we can agree on is Chinese-type food with some meat but mostly veggies.  Mexican can sort of fill that bill also.

I really like the cook a big batch and eat it for a few days thing.  Chili is good for that.  And I think it must be possible to make a somewhat healthy mac and cheese.  My wife makes a delicious one but it is loaded with cheese.  I would go heavier on the tomatoes and much lighter on the cheese and maybe add some other veggies.  Sure macaroni is not a low cal food but you do have to have some kind of filling substrate to ward off snacking later.

This one looks interesting. 

https://www.cookinglight.com/recipes/roasted-veggie-mac-cheese

This one too!  Looks just right!

https://www.aprettylifeinthesuburbs.com/creamy-tomato-macaroni-cheese/

Creamy-Tomato-Macaroni-and-Cheese-F.jpg

My mother makes a macaroni salad that is delicious - some mayo, with cukes, celery, tomato, and onion.  I think it would work just as well or maybe better with an oil and vinegar base too.  To me this one hits the sweet spot if you can keep the calories down.  WW macaroni might be a plus

So try mashing cooked cauliflower..add a little panko and parmesan and broil it a bit to give it a brown edge...Mmmm...or mix half cauliflower with the tatos...

Portion Control...eat what you like within reason....have a cut off at night and if you must eat after that time...fresh fruit....

In reading the book Atomic Habits...you make a goal...without making a plan....sit down and plan..meals, health snacks and adding some physical exercise..even if you & the Mrs walk for 15 minutes after dinner every night!!

I like cooking, but you do need a few basic skills.

If you want to start, find a really old Joy of Cooking. Amazon has them, used bookstores will have it, or can get it. You want one from 70s or 80s, earlier is OK. I'm not sure when they ruined it.

You will find sections throughout the book titled "Know your ingredients". That's half the battle right there.

Expect the occasional screwup, happens to everybody. Because I get kinda crazy, you will have trouble topping the lemon yogurt pork dish I made in the 80s. It was really bad.

Low heat is a lifesaver. I usually cook at 300F.

The quality of your fats has a lot to do with how good the finished product is.

http://nymag.com/strategist/article/best-olive-oils-according-to-chefs.html

This is real easy, and good enough for casual company:

get dried apricots, the partly dried ones are best for this.

Mince (chop until it's almost mush) enough so you have equal amounts of fruit and BBQ sauce. Put in a bowl and stir. If you can find a BBQ sauce that isn't half sugar, that would be better. I haven't tried this yet, but I've been meaning to add some unsweetened coconut.

Spray a baking pan, or rub it with olive oil, coconut oil, or ghee.  Put skinned chicken thighs in the pan, and pour the sauce on them. Spoon the sauce so they get completely covered.

Put in a 300F oven, after 30 minutes, flip and put back in the oven until done. If you think they're done, pick one from the back and cut it. It shouldn't be bloody.

Congrats, you're a cook.

If you're not watching carbs, I like corn bread or muffins with it.

• Heart 1

Get some exercise. Lots of it. Don't eat highly processed food. "Eat food, not too much, mostly vegetables."

https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2019/05/16/723693839/its-not-just-salt-sugar-fat-study-finds-ultra-processed-foods-drive-weight-gain

Get up while at work. Take the stairs. Take a walk. 

Walk or ride to the store for short errands. 

Anyone can cook ralph. 

Salmon, and roasted vegetables. So simple. Season it. I like toasted sesame oil on the vegetables. In the oven at 425 for 12-15 minutes. 

If you eat a salad, make your own dressing. Olive oil, balsamic, little honey, garlic, salt, and pepper. Keep it around. 

Stir fry sauce that will knock your socks off.

http://www.thecookingguy.com/cookbook/best-chinese-stir-fry-sauce-recipe

• Heart 2

This is a good base dish. Adapt as you wish. 

SKINNY MEXICAN CASSEROLE 

A cheesy comforting casserole that you can enjoy guilt-free, chockfull of veggies and whole wheat tortilla. You can’t beat that!

IMG_5163edit-360x360.jpg

INGREDIENTS:

• 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 1 red bell pepper, diced
  • 1 green bell pepper, diced
  • 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 cup corn kernels, frozen, canned or roasted
  • 1 teaspoon chili powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon cumin
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
  • 1 (4.5-ounce) can Old El Paso™ chopped green chiles, drained
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves
  • 4 (8-inch) whole wheat tortillas, chopped
  • 1 (16-ounce) can Old El Paso™ fat free refried beans, warmed
  • 1 (10-ounce) can Old El Paso™ mild enchilada sauce 
  • 1 1/2 cups reduced fat shredded Mexican blend cheese

DIRECTIONS:

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly coat a 9×13 baking dish with nonstick spray.
  2. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add garlic, onion and bell peppers. Cook, stirring frequently, until tender, about 3-4 minutes. Stir in black beans, corn, chili powder and cumin until heated through, about 1-2 minutes; season with salt and pepper, to taste. Stir in green chiles and cilantro; set aside.
  3. Place tortillas evenly on the bottom of the baking dish. Spread refried beans evenly over the tortillas, followed by the onion mixture and enchilada sauce. Sprinkle with cheese.
  4. Place into oven and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until bubbly.
  5. Serve immediately, garnished with cilantro, if desired.

And this is another good have on hand. You are right, eat stuff that makes you feel full and nourishes your soul or else you will be snacking in an hour. This is with my adaptions but you can swap veggies, etc...

Ingredients

• 12 oz fusilli or elbow pasta
  • 1 1/2 tbsp buttery 
  • 1/4 cup minced onion
  • 1/4 cup flour
  • 2 cups milk of choice
  • 1 cup vegetable broth
  • 2 cups shredded cheddar. The real stuff or low fat but not fat free
  • 12 oz fresh broccoli florets or mix in cauliflower
  • 1/4 red pepper
  • 2 tbsp parmesan
  • 1/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
  • cooking spray
  • salt and pepper to taste

Instructions

Healthy Mac and Cheese Recipe: In a large pot of salted water, cook the pasta and broccoli (and any other veggies you throw in) together, according to package directions for al dente. Spray a baking dish with cooking spray, and set aside. Preheat oven to 375 F. In a large. heavy skillet, melt the butter, then add the onion and red pepper. (Celery too if you have some). and cook over low heat for 2 minutes. Add the flour and cook 1 minute or until flour is golden and well-combined. Whisk in milk and broth, raise heat to medium-high until it comes to a boil, then cook an additional 5 minutes or until smooth and thick. Season with salt and pepper if desired. (Or hot stuff spice or Cajun seasoning or whatever you like). Remove from heat, add cheese, and stir until melted. Stir in the cooked pasta and broccoli, then pour into the prepared baking dish.  You can add a can of drained Rogelio tomatoes now for zip and more veggies. Top with the breadcrumbs and parmesan.  Spray a little more cooking spray on top. Bake 15-20 minutes, then broil a few minutes until the breadcrumbs are golden.  Microwaves well but the crunchy top is compromised. 

What has helped me.

Pasta is a birthday like treat once or so a year, no more.

Never drink your calories.  I used to drink juice every day because I fell for the marketing that made me believe it was good for me.  I've never liked beer or wine, so that was a bonus.  I drink soda several times a year, often during really hard events, like a century.

Plan to not eat dessert, regardless of the pressure others put on you.  You just ate a meal, why do you need dessert?

We all need to get away from processed food.

No pizza, see pasta above.

I lose weight when I exercise because I don't replace calories.  When I first started riding I believed I'd wither away if I didn't try to consume calories I theoretically burned.  I've stopped that.  Regardless of going on a 1 mile or a 10 mile run, I eat the same.

Well...I have pizza...but I make my own and no matter how I make it..even with pepperoni...it is less salty than anything delivered or frozen!!  I also only make it about once a month

Salads are good, but you need to eat and satisfy your nutritional needs as well as your "food" emotional ones...Make sure you have some protein with that salad..it helps ya feel full.

I am not following the "Optivia" program...but they had several good suggestions....Drink water...lots of water...I am doing 64 oz plus my tea, 1 sparkling water and additional water when working out or in the evening... Plan snacks (their program is all kinds of pre-made stuff..and the have a couple of variations..one called the "5 and 1" they have 5 small meals..like 100 to 150 calories and 1 "lean & green" meal like a chicken breast and veggies (low carb veggies)....I am not going out to promo their plan...I am not into all that processed stuff.....but 100 to 150 calorie snacks are good....get home from work...still need to make dinner...have that 150 calorie snack first....Mid-morning work break time...have that pre-made snack.  I got some gladware that I fill with celery, raddish, carrot, cucumber, tomato..and then a little TJ's yogurt veggie dip or humus....or some fresh fruit and a 1/4 cup of cottage cheese...

38 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

What has helped me.

Pasta is a birthday like treat once or so a year, no more.

Never drink your calories.  I used to drink juice every day because I fell for the marketing that made me believe it was good for me.  I've never liked beer or wine, so that was a bonus.  I drink soda several times a year, often during really hard events, like a century.

Plan to not eat dessert, regardless of the pressure others put on you.  You just ate a meal, why do you need dessert?

We all need to get away from processed food.

No pizza, see pasta above.

I lose weight when I exercise because I don't replace calories.  When I first started riding I believed I'd wither away if I didn't try to consume calories I theoretically burned.  I've stopped that.  Regardless of going on a 1 mile or a 10 mile run, I eat the same.

So what DO you eat?  I am great with the not drinking calories except for beer so I have to cut that back which is the hardest part. 

True, pasta has got to go, but it is hard to replace it as far as being filling. 

For desert, apples or oranges work well for me.  

15 minutes ago, petitepedal said:

Have some pasta..just less...add veggies to add bulk or some of those spiraled veggies as "noodles" So 1/2 the pasta or 1/3 the pasta add veggies for the rest... Quinoa and Beans or Legumes will add good fiber and are filling...

I love lentils and greens so I need to have that more often. Lentils are great - beany goodness with none of the gastric distress of beans. 

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

So what DO you eat?  I am great with the not drinking calories except for beer so I have to cut that back which is the hardest part. 

True, pasta has got to go, but it is hard to replace it as far as being filling. 

For desert, apples or oranges work well for me.  

Stay away from the pasta, period.  It's addictive, all carbs are.  My weakness is bread.  I will start cutting that out too.

I eat a ton a veggies.  Salad at least two nights a week for dinner.  I add a 1/2 can of chick peas or black beans for a little added protein and carbs, other than that, there are no added carbs in my salad.  Some weeks I'll have it 3 or 4 times.

I eat oatmeal every morning, no sweetener except a banana or blueberries.  I prefer blueberries when they are in season.

For lunches, I am making that in a few minutes.  I buy whatever veggies I like and look good, cook them in a pot, add some type of homemade sauce, and put it in containers and heat it up at work.  In the last 20 years I think I've bought lunch less than 5 times at work.  

I try to not go out to eat, way to easy to drink and eat too much.

For a treat, we'll get Chipotle or bGood.  No more than once a week.  No fries, no sides, just the meal itself.

I eat a lot of veggies too, just also a lot of other stuff!  My lunch is a cheese sandwich with a ton of carrots, celery, peppers, radishes, and an apple and  orange.

Does your wife go along with it?  I am concentrating on things we can agree on.  Looks like chef salad tomorrow night which is snot bad.

24 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Does your wife go along with it?

Partly.  Neither of us eat gluten.  She's a massive carnivore - trying out the keto idea, I wish she'd stop.

Tonight I'll have a "burger" and Crispy Crowns, plus some veggies.  Treat night.  She's not eating tonight.

9 hours ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Mrs. Mooseworth and I are both disgusted with our current weight, so we ate salads Thursday and Friday but then the pent up demand let lose on Saturday at a graduation party with oodles of tasty but high cal food.  I did a little better than her since I eschewed instead of chewed the cake, and restrained myself a tad more on the food, but there were the three biers, one of which was a gift so was not planned, but there was also a non-diet ginger ale and on the plus side, a bottle of water.

Another example - I just now had to finish off the two lemon-ricotta pancakes cooked by my daughter for Mother's Day.  They were delicious, but my role as the designated food disposal is troubling!  My wife told me that the best way to warm them is in pan over a low flame, and damn if she was not correct!  So she has the culinary skills, they just need to be harnessed for good!

I see little or nothing too worrisome about this sort of thing.  I "live" that way. I think the first part of this quote from Dennis (aka Mr Pollan) is key:

6 hours ago, dennis said:

Get some exercise. Lots of it. Don't eat highly processed food. "Eat food, not too much, mostly vegetables." 

Get some a lot of exercise. Move lots. Keep moving. Don't waste time not moving. Choose to get and stay active.

42 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

Stay away from the pasta, period.  It's addictive, all carbs are.  My weakness is bread.  I will start cutting that out too.

Life is about moderation (except where you have an allergy) in almost everything except the movement & exercise category, so as soon as you start dramatically cutting stuff out, you're at war with it instead of developing a nice peaceful border where you can both live peacefully with each other. 

2 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Life is about moderation (except where you have an allergy) in almost everything except the movement & exercise category, so as soon as you start dramatically cutting stuff out, you're at war with it instead of developing a nice peaceful border where you can both live peacefully with each other. 

I don't agree at all.  Many years ago I had one donut a week.  Then I felt like I was being taken as I could get two for almost the same price.  That turned into every other day, which turned into every day, often with a third donut type thing.  Surprise, I gained 50 pounds.  I have not had a donut in probably 15 years.  They do not call to me, I do not miss them.

I would do the same with pasta.  I'd eat it at least once a week, likely more.  gluten-free pasta has come a long way.  Gluten free pizza, not so much.  I eat pasta maybe twice a year, sometimes less.

I don't punish myself by removing food, I find more nutritious food than pizza and learn to make it in enjoyable ways.  There is nothing about pizza that is good for you.  If you want to have it on your birthday, enjoy it.

26 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

I don't agree at all.  Many years ago I had one donut a week.  Then I felt like I was being taken as I could get two for almost the same price.  That turned into every other day, which turned into every day, often with a third donut type thing.  Surprise, I gained 50 pounds.  I have not had a donut in probably 15 years.  They do not call to me, I do not miss them. 

This statement is about the textbook definition of "not moderation".

But, whatever works best for you is always best.  What isn't bet? I'd say both "whatever works for you" and "what doesn't work for you".

10 hours ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

so we ate salads Thursday and Friday

What Wo46 and I do so we don't eat just salad when we eat out we decide on one main corse and one side salad and half way through the meal we switch plates. 

While you can do a drastic diet for a limited time to lose weight, you really need to find a way of eating long term that doesn't make you feel so deprived that you can't keep it up.   I don't really cook, but I enjoy reading the recipes on this blog.  They're healthy and made with natural ingredients, but they also sound good.

Almost anyone can follow a recipe, it's just that cooking takes time to gather ingredients, shop etc, and it can be hard to do after a long day at work.  Aire's idea of cooking ahead so you have good choices that are easy to make during the week is a good one.

https://www.loveandlemons.com/

• Awesome 1

1 hour ago, Randomguy said:

Why do you wish she would stop?

Probably that "fad diets" are never the answer?

The easy option Dennis mentioned - "Eat food, not too much, mostly vegetables." - makes sense and works far better in the long run than a fad diet does. 

• Heart 1

We eat a crap ton of pasta. Banza  chick pea pasta is good in casseroles. I prefer spaghetti squash as a noodle for red sauce. Whole grain pasta better than traditional white flour.   Tolerant brand makes lentil pasta. Do not overlook it.   

Add many veggies and use fewer noodles. You won’t miss it. 

1 hour ago, Randomguy said:

Why do you wish she would stop?

See below.

17 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Probably that "fad diets" are never the answer?

The easy option Dennis mentioned - "Eat food, not too much, mostly vegetables." - makes sense and works far better in the long run than a fad diet does. 

• Heart 1