Speaking of bears and honey

BuffJim

My brother lost 20% of his beehives to a hungry black bear this week.  He didn’t see it, but the bear dragged part of the hive about 60 feet. No other animal could have done that. This made me feel sad  

He said it was the weakest of his 5 hives and he’ll be able to rebuild by splitting hives. This made me feel better. 

We rely on those bees to make us Christmas presents, which are much enjoyed. 

2 hours ago, Longjohn said:

I hate bears

I don’t  run into them much, but I am suspicious of them.  I am shocked we haven’t tried eliminating them on purpose.  I am not advocating it, but am just surprised folks haven’t gotten all uppity and shot them on sight.

3 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

I don’t  run into them much, but I am suspicious of them.  I am shocked we haven’t tried eliminating them on purpose.  I am not advocating it, but am just surprised folks haven’t gotten all uppity and shot them on sight.

Who says we don’t?

I can't think of a single rational reason for killing a bear, let alone bears.  I get they (and wildlife) are destructive, but if you've reached 2019 and are just now realizing that they are, you might want to try some less awful options to protect your stuff?  For BuffJim's brother, maybe a bear proof bee hive enclosure of some sort? 

Think about squirrels - the bane of bird feeders everywhere.  Some folks have a grand old time designing squirrel-proof feeders. It can be fun and challenging and no squirrels (or bears) need to die.

• Heart 1

Bear story

A lady I used to work with lived off the beaten path a bit, a bear was getting into her trash and bird feeder. She chased it off with a broom a couple times. One morning it came up on her porch and was getting into the corn she was planning to feed to the deer. She went storming out with her broom, the bear swatted the broom away and chased her back into the house   

She called the game people to come and trap the bear, they gave her hell for chasing a bear with a broom, and for feeding critters. They did catch & relocate the bear though.

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Further said:

Bear story

A lady I used to work with lived off the beaten path a bit, a bear was getting into her trash and bird feeder. She chased it off with a broom a couple times. One morning it came up on her porch and was getting into the corn she was planning to feed to the deer. She went storming out with her broom, the bear swatted the broom away and chased her back into the house   

She called the game people to come and trap the bear, they gave her hell for chasing a bear with a broom, and for feeding critters. They did catch & relocate the bear though.

I saw that on The Three Stooges too - the bear liked the pancakes they were cooking.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1