Jump to content
maddmaxx

OMG, reality is such a drag

Recommended Posts

31 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Damn, life is not all unicorns and fairy dust.  Get a life GOT fans.

We live in the video game generation where many think that a reset button is appropriate.

I missed your post after the Super Bowl :(  Maybe I need to go back and see if you complained about that too?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I felt like a real curmudgeon last week - between "Game of Thrones" and "Grumpy Cat RIP" did anything else happen in the news last week? :rolleyes:

full disclosure - never seen a second of GoT and probably not interested.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

Me too.

We seem to have become a nation of watchers.

Pretty much.  Look at the daily discussion here of movies, tv, and especially TV sports.  It's pretty impressive for sure.  

I've read the GoT books, and watched all but this final season, so I've got probably a hundred hours of reading invested and a similar amount for the shows (probably 70hrs), but I guess that's a piddling compared to a SINGLE season of a major sport?  Baseball, at 100+ games and 2-3hrs per is well over 300 hrs.  Hockey or basketball have tons of games and therefore tons of time to watch.  Football, at ~20 games a season for one team plus playoffs and Superbowl would tip the scales at 60+ hours, and similarly college FB would be pretty significant (40-50 hrs?).  

Big Bang Theory had 144 hours of viewing potential - crushing GoT by nearly 100%!  Amazing, eh.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Games worth my time and expense must meet the 100 hour minimum. And they can't have effing 'timers' in game play. And they better have single player campaigns. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Dottie said:

Games worth my time and expense must meet the 100 hour minimum. And they can't have effing 'timers' in game play. And they better have single player campaigns. 

So, greater than folks investment in the ENTIRE multi-year GoT TV show, but not greater than, say, BBT or even a single season of Jeopardy?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's cumulative! The video games I like have to have a replayability. So I can play an hour+ at a time. For me, it's healthy escapism. Open worlds are the best IMHO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Dottie said:

It's cumulative! The video games I like have to have a replayability. So I can play an hour+ at a time. For me, it's healthy escapism. Open worlds are the best IMHO

But your games don't have unicorns or fairy dust, I bet!  Probably just mech warriors battling out for supremacy!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Razors Edge said:

But your games don't have unicorns or fairy dust, I bet!  Probably just mech warriors battling out for supremacy!

I play as Aloy-- hot, fierce red-headed chick that destroys machines in an awesome, stealthy way. The AI in the battle actions is mind boggling.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When the weather is nice I rarely play. But as you know, there are at least 6 months of indoor console gaming here. I would say more like 4-5 hours a week or more -- double that when I am into it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It also helps when you are married w/o kids and you don't drive. I can only build so many fires, mow the lawn a finite amount of time, split firewood for X amout of hours before I can check out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Dottie said:

It also helps when you are married w/o kids and you don't drive. I can only build so many fires, mow the lawn a finite amount of time, split firewood for X amout of time before I can check out 

So, you still might need to get a life.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

So, you still might need to get a life.

I'm happy with my life, thanks. I'm just really enjoying this game. It too will reach it's end when I have squeezed ever cent of game play out of it. 

And I'm pretty sure you don't want my life. I've had plenty of realism to make most folks vomit. But life isn't always vomit and I don't drink so there's that. I also don't have issues with idle time. Gaming for me in my idle time is a healthy outlet. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also I don't watch TV much but news and football. If my wife has the Voice in I will 'watch'. But otherwise television sucks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Dottie said:

I'm happy with my life, thanks. I'm just really enjoying this game. It too will reach it's end when I have squeezed ever cent of game play out of it. 

And I'm pretty sure you don't want my life. I've had plenty of realism to make most folks vomit. But life isn't always vomit and I don't drink so there's that. I also don't have issues with idle time. Gaming for me in my idle time is a healthy outlet. 

More power to ya!  I guess TV, games, movies, etc. aren't a sign of the apocalypse.  Heck, if I remember my distant childhood, I think I recall folks talking about gathering around the radio or TV every week for various programs.  Who knew it still went on?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

More power to ya!  I guess TV, games, movies, etc. aren't a sign of the apocalypse.  Heck, if I remember my distant childhood, I think I recall folks talking about gathering around the radio or TV every week for various programs.  Who knew it still went on?

Yeah. I hear what you guys are saying. I don't really watch anything but maybe football or soccer games. Video games you participate in. And like I say, I usually only get into when a particular game comes out every other year. It happens to be an 'on' year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

 Heck, if I remember my distant childhood, I think I recall folks talking about gathering around the radio or TV every week for various programs.  Who knew it still went on?

Sarcasm.  100% ass.  Nice play.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...