So boss asked me...when I would retire

shootingstar

I didn't give her any specific answer.  She just wanted a general sense so that she can figure out dept. hiring outside of my position.  So I simply affirmed I would be around for next few years in a vague way.

Just don't want to start any covert machinations of undermining what I do by other team members, or whatever other ageism comments/attitudes that might start up in our work team.  Considering the fact that probably 3 other employees are probably close to my age also.  And they haven't revealed either any specific retirement year (and that includes my boss.)  One is actively downsizing her home to sell it and get a smaller place with hubby.

Dearie said I should have been more specific.  My response:  Nope. Just can't predict that far out. 

5 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

I didn't give her any specific answer.  She just wanted a general sense so that she can figure out dept. hiring outside of my position.  So I simply affirmed I would be around for next few years in a vague way.

Just don't want to start any covert machinations of undermining what I do by other team members, or whatever other ageism comments/attitudes that might start up in our work team.  Considering the fact that probably 3 other employees are probably close to my age also.  And they haven't revealed either any specific retirement year (and that includes my boss.)  One is actively downsizing her home to sell it and get a smaller place with hubby.

Dearie said I should have been more specific.  My response:  Nope. Just can't predict that far out. 

I heard questions like this about 6 months before getting laid off.  Questions like this sometimes (not always) reflect what bosses talk about during their meetings.

• Heart 3
  • Sad 1

20 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

I heard questions like this about 6 months before getting laid off.  Questions like this sometimes (not always) reflect what bosses talk about during their meetings.

Yep.  I would not consider this a good sign @shootingstar.  You may just get your early retirement whether you're read for it or not.

I certainly don't think you owe them any specific information regarding your plans.  I'd have been inclined to ask "Are you asking everyone in the department about their plans?"

• Heart 3
  • Awesome 1

...I have to say that in my own case, being forcibly retired was a great blow to my ego. :( 

But (again in my own case, and only in my own case), because of the way the laws on pensions are set up for safety employees in California, it turned out to be a good deal for me, once I adjusted my retirement income projections.  It hits a lot of people who are not so protected a lot harder.

What I find fascinating is that despite the overall impression people have that we are somehow "protected" from age and injury discrimination in termination of employment, on a practical level there's little you can do about it.  You're better off claiming discrimination on the basis of sex, race, or religion.

7 minutes ago, Kirby said:

I certainly don't think you owe them any specific information regarding your plans.  I'd have been inclined to ask "Are you asking everyone in the department about their plans?"

My response would have been, "Why? What have you heard?"

• Heart 1

58 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

My thought too but not necessarily the case.  However it does seem they are making long term plans and are trying to determine where you fit in them.

• Heart 1

I remember telling friends and relatives I was retiring in 1-3 years while I told the bosses I expected to around for a decade.

When someone out of our 142 teachers did announce retirement and walk down the hallways, many other teachers would hold out a hand with 1, 2, 3, 4, or all 5 fingers extended, showing how many years they expected to keep working - but they generally didn't make it known to the higher ups.

I would not read too much into it.  Asking is not necessarily a bad thing.  I am surprised by the comments that you do not owe them anything.  Shootingstar, you have worked for a long time and therefore hold a lot of corporate knowledge.  You should figure out how long it will take for you to get someone up and running to replace you with the skills/knowledge to do your job and give them at least that much notice.

Maybe the boss is so worried because she knows how key you are to operations running smoothly.

If I put my papers in tomorrow and walked away into retirement, it would set our program back while someone learned my job, someswhat screwing over a company that has treated me very well for 28+ years.

Honestly is always the best policy.  Always.  If you want to know, rather than wonder about motives, walk in and ask the boss why they asked.

• Heart 2

38 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

I would not read too much into it.  Asking is not necessarily a bad thing.  I am surprised by the comments that you do not owe them anything.  Shootingstar, you have worked for a long time and therefore hold a lot of corporate knowledge.  You should figure out how long it will take for you to get someone up and running to replace you with the skills/knowledge to do your job and give them at least that much notice.

Maybe the boss is so worried because she knows how key you are to operations running smoothly.

I've been with the organization for only last 8 yrs., in current dept. only 1 yr. so far. I do have enough corporate knowledge that some other colleagues don't have but what I have isn't uber special and unique.  I guess I see it abit differently because I have worked for a number of different organizations in the past and have experienced some shocks..which led to unemployment in the past.

Boss already told me why she asked...she needed to plan.  We've had staff changes in the past 18 months.

• Heart 1