RIP Nike Lauda

maddmaxx

The crash damage finally got to him as his lungs failed.  These were the transplanted lungs from last year that replaced the burned out lungs from the 70's

He was a 3 time F1 champion and he founded no less than 3 different airlines.  I met him in the 80's at Pratt and Whitney when we were testing new engines for his 1st airline.  Given the scars and the pain he was one of the bravest men I've ever gotten to shake hands with.  He was 70 and he will be missed.

• Awesome 3
  • Sad 5

20 minutes ago, Airehead said:

Wasnt the lung damage from burning fiberglass?  Toxic and created wounds that could not be seen?  Not sure why I know or think this.

He was in the burning car for 50 seconds before the rescue people started to get him out.  The fire burned off his ear, half his scalp and left massive scars on his face.  The article mentioned "breathing some of the flames".**  It's amazing that he was up and about and in a race car just 6 weeks later although he admitted that he had some difficulty convincing himself that he could race the car at speed because of a lack of confidence that had to be rebuilt.  Along the last 40 years he had two kidney transplants and eventually the lungs. Last year one could see him in the pits with Hamilton's F-1 team at every race.  I had wondered where he was this year.

** Listed in Wiki as "hot toxic fumes".  Some of his fire protection was lost as his helmet was ripped off in the crash.

Niki was incredible to come back and do all that the did after that crash.  Just living with the scarring had to be painful physically and emotionally.  Many people would not leave their house ever again after something like that.  Amazing.

Godspeed Mr. Lauda.

Niki was a big part of my formative years learning of Formula 1. At first I was attracted to the cool looking cars. With no TV coverage, my news was limited to the coverage by Road and Track magazine in the school library. His fiery crash and recovery really turned my interest to the drivers as much as the cars. The movie "Rush" is well worth watching to get some insight into him. 

Sidenote - My personal connection to this story came about 15 years later. I was working as an insurance administrator. There was a lady with a beautiful English accent at one of the district offices I helped service. Through some small talk, she found out I was a racing fan and asked if I followed F1. I told her I loved watching F1. She asked if I was familiar with James Hunt. Told her of course I remembered the former champion. She told me she was his ex-wife! She basically said the past was water under the bridge and they had made their peace. Unfortunately, I got moved to another department within a couple weeks of this conversation and never got to speak with her again. 

• Heart 1