For those about to dock

jsharr

We had a 21' pleasure boat we kept in a boatel on the Chesapeake Bay until the price of gasoline jumped in the later 00's. We named it the "Reel Busy" but should have named it the "Money Pit."

We just didn't use it enough to justify $2000+ for the annual boatel fees plus the gas. In the late 90's, four of us would go trolling for rockfish (striped bass) and $20 each would pay for the 60 gal. of gas we'd burn.  But when it got to the point where those 60 gal. cost over $200 and stayed there (higher prices on the required waterside fill-up than at gas stations), we decided to sell it.

Still, it was an excellent experience to learn all the things about boating, from red-right-returning (keep the red buoys on your right when going upstream) to using GPS/depth/fish finders to how to rig your lines for various location and weather conditions (my brother and I took a one-day college class in that!).  I'm glad to have had the experience and there are plenty of rentals when we want to blow our money on bay fishing now.

18 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

We had a 21' pleasure boat we kept in a boatel on the Chesapeake Bay until the price of gasoline jumped in the later 00's. We named it the "Reel Busy" but should have named it the "Money Pit."

We just didn't use it enough to justify $2000+ for the annual boatel fees plus the gas. In the late 90's, four of us would go trolling for rockfish (striped bass) and $20 each would pay for the 60 gal. of gas we'd burn.  But when it got to the point where those 60 gal. cost over $200 and stayed there (higher prices on the required waterside fill-up than at gas stations), we decided to sell it.

Still, it was an excellent experience to learn all the things about boating, from red-right-returning (keep the red buoys on your right when going upstream) to using GPS/depth/fish finders to how to rig your lines for various location and weather conditions (my brother and I took a one-day college class in that!).  I'm glad to have had the experience and there are plenty of rentals when we want to blow our money on bay fishing now.

I loved my boat and still regret selling it. 15’ Boston Whaler and it was easy to maintain, portable tanks so I could fill at the local gas station and I had free storage.

I bought it used for $5K, had it 10 years with minimal expense and was offered $3K sight unseen so sold it.

I have a cracked stanchion that needs to be replaced. I hope to have a guy do it in the time between now and when I next get up to the boat the first weekend of June. Else it will be a weekend project when it's too crappy to sail. 

Winds blew up from 6 knts to 20 during the time I was in the lift well to pulling into our stall. I thought this was going to be a docking attempts gone bad thread. 

1 minute ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

I have a cracked stanchion that needs to be replaced. I hope to have a guy do it in the time between now and when I next get up to the boat the first weekend of June. Else it will be a weekend project when it's too crappy to sail. 

Winds blew up from 6 knts to 20 during the time I was in the lift well to pulling into our stall. I thought this was going to be a docking attempts gone bad thread. 

Nope.  I have had my share of those in a Catalina 27 with an inboard diesel.  Hard to reverse into a slip.   Do not get me started on the MacGregor 36 catamaran with an outboard on one hull or the 56 foot houseboat with the twin 140 mercruiser sterndrives.....  That thing was a bitch in a crosswind.  Has to get the bow to the dock and then pull the stern in with both drives in reverse and cut towards the dock.