I have shit for clothes

Randomguy

TJ Maxx is a good option of discount name brands.  Stay with a neutral pallet for pants, blacks, grays, tans.   5 pairs of pants, 10 decent button down shirts (Costco is a great option as well) and add sport coats as budget allows.

I often find closeouts online at JC Penney.  Case in point, althought this is a small size, you can find bargains with a bit of searching.

https://www.jcpenney.com/p/stafford-travel-wrinkle-free-oxford-dress-shirt/pp5003521141?pTmplType=regular&country=US&currency=USD&selectedSKUId=53160031305&selectedLotId=5316003&fromBag=true&quantity=1&utm_medium=cse&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=dress shirts&utm_content=53160031305&cid=cse|google|002 - mens|dress shirts_53160031305&kwid=-adType^PLA&gclid=CjwKCAjw5pPnBRBJEiwAULZKvqx07Ztze6zh-rI6_DNIni6QvT4tDUvETcJThG7Jm_tb4VT7_DHVoBoCWn8QAvD_BwE

13 hours ago, Randomguy said:

I have shit for clothes

For work?  Is this because they have a dress code or that you have torn all your jeans or that you have gained/lost a lot of weight?

My simple approach - for warmer months - is a couple of pairs of "golf" pants that look like "dressy" pants but are quick-dry and lightweight.  Then, I have a rotation of about 10 short sleeve button downs that go with those simple black pairs of pants.  About half are also quick-drying shirts, and the other half are just cotton.  In any case, I then just grab the next shirt in line each morning, and at the end of the day, that one will be at the back of the rotation.  If it is particularly humid, I might skip ahead to the next quick dry version, or skip past it if it is dry/cool out.

What I find nice about the quick dry stuff is that it is wrinkle free, so never needs any extra effort.  Likewise, since I ride to and fro the Metro, it is important that if I do sweat a little, I am not a dripping mess. 

So, "golf" pants at Target run ~$20-$30, and the short sleeve shirts at Kohls run ~$20-$30 each (and way less if someone knows how to work the insane Kohls reward process).

I know the feeling, though I just moderately care.  Spending almost 15 years wearing jeans and either T-shirts or golf shirts to work left my professional wardrobe in poor shape.  Just not sure I care enough to spend money to improve the situation.

6 hours ago, Longjohn said:

My father in law used to get great deals on clothing for the orphanages at the Chinese market in Siberia. Rather than buy clothes and try to ship them he traveled with large sums of cash in his money belt and would buy clothes there.

Siberia, Russia??

WTH was he doing there?

3 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

My simple approach - for warmer months - is a couple of pairs of "golf" pants that look like "dressy" pants but are quick-dry and lightweight.  Then, I have a rotation of about 10 short sleeve button downs 

RG. Do not take dress for success advice from this guy. Geese. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, 2Far said:

Siberia, Russia??

WTH was he doing there?

When the iron curtain fell there was an opportunity to go into Siberia and teach morality in the public schools.  He also helped with the under funded orphanages there, making sure all the kids had decent clothes and shoes to wear. He was there for a year before coming home for a break. He set up a base for other team members to use when they came over. Altogether he made 18 trips into Siberia before heart trouble prevented him from going back.

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

22 hours ago, Randomguy said:

There is no way around this conclusion. 

The end. 

My "good" ones are mostly the remnants of what I had when I retired from teaching in 2006.

Even then, dress in white collar occupations was becoming more and more casual.

I have a nice suit, but I didn't even wear it to my cousin's recent funeral - few others did either during a warm, outdoor service in Virginia.  I have one pair of dress shoes that I rarely wear.

Most of the clothes in my wash are jeans and shorts and pocket tee shirts or (cold weather) flannel shirts and underwear and socks.

15 hours ago, Airehead said:

Get blue pants, black pants, and tan pants.  Add variety with collared shirts.  What size do you wear?  Can you get mail any where?

I am mostly just belly-aching right now. I am too chunked out to wear my normal size, and I don’t want to get fat guy clothes only to lose the tonnage and be in the same boat.  I am just being strategic is all.  

Anyway, I haven’t added any clothing yet, and I may just have to add a couple of panic shirt acquisitions and some pants, but we’ll see if I can string that out a bit.   

More troubling is the shoe thing, you just can’t find decent narrow-width dress shoes, they just don’t make them (at a decent price).  If you have wide feet, you can get all you want, but nothing if you absolutely need a B width.  Yesterday I went to DSW, Macy’s, and Nordy’s Rack, and today at lunch to Century 21 (kind of an outlet/close out store like TJ Max, but with more reputable clothing and about 49 times the size).   Not a single shoe fit, not one.  I would about kill for a chili-colored cap-toe in a B width, but it is gonna be a while on that, too.  

11 hours ago, Indy said:

I know the feeling, though I just moderately care.  Spending almost 15 years wearing jeans and either T-shirts or golf shirts to work left my professional wardrobe in poor shape.  Just not sure I care enough to spend money to improve the situation.

My last decade and more was with companies that were completely informal.  When customer facing, I wore my only suit, and a couple of nice shirts (not at the same time, though).   This job is much more dressy-office casual, since you could theoretically get pulled into a client meeting at any time, plus it is in the financial district, so you can’t dress better than the bankers, but you can’t buy irregular stuff either.     

I actually know how to dress (Wilbur has seen me look respectable), but it is probably gonna take me a bit of time before I am up to speed. 

8 hours ago, Goat Geddah said:

I have about 8 pairs of dress pants that I’ll probably never wear again.  32x32.  Flat front.  Cuffed.  Want ‘em?

Right now I am a 34 or 35 x 32, I could probably squeeze into a  generous fit 32x32 if I dropped the 12 - 15lbs I need to lose.  That is an awesome offer, though, I wish I was a 32 right now!

1 minute ago, Randomguy said:

Right now I am a 34 or 35 x 32, I could probably squeeze into a  generous fit 32x32 if I dropped the 12 - 15lbs I need to lose.  That is an awesome offer, though, I wish I was a 32 right now!

shut up and start doing crunches you dolt.

• Heart 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, MickinMD said:

Even then, dress in white collar occupations was becoming more and more casual.

This is true.  I popped into a Hickey Freeman store on Monday because I was walking by and the last suit I bought was a HF around 2007 or thereabouts.  The guy I spoke with said the trend in suits was toward the more casual and less stuffy.  He also said the people are buying fewer suits, but that didn’t surprise me. It was fun bs’ing with him. 

• Awesome 1