My boss has shit for brains

Prophet Zacharia

And he has the potential to harm a lot of people with his ill-formed opinions. I’m in a little canoe paddling away from what I believe is going to be a rather large shipwreck if his visions become fulfilled. Essentially, I am transferring to another branch office that he doesn’t have much control over. But the transition could take 13 months to complete. I just hope to be far enough removed that I don’t get sucked in when it happens. 

• Sad 1

37 minutes ago, Shu Fang said:

I'm happy to hear you are moving to a different department. 

I’m mostly moving my department away from him. At least, the part that is most important to me and that needs protection. That which I am leaving behind  can stand on it’s own until his house of cards falls. 

6 hours ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

And he has the potential to harm a lot of people with his ill-formed opinions. I’m in a little canoe paddling away from what I believe is going to be a rather large shipwreck if his visions become fulfilled. Essentially, I am transferring to another branch office that he doesn’t have much control over. But the transition could take 13 months to complete. I just hope to be far enough removed that I don’t get sucked in when it happens. 

I've had great bosses and awful bosses, but fortunately they were rotated every few years.  If you're stuck with the same sob long-term, working elsewhere seems the right move.

• Heart 1

31 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

I've had great bosses and awful bosses, but fortunately they were rotated every few years.  If you're stuck with the same sob long-term, working elsewhere seems the right move.

I’ve got a great direct report. But a miserable diagonal report. It’s coming up on 3 years with no signs of relief. I told my direct report I wouldn’t work for the prick anymore, so we have a move in process. Between 3-13 months, with the goal of making it seem like it’s what the prick wants. Instead, I’m going to my brier patch.

• 1 month later...
On 5/22/2019 at 9:24 PM, Prophet Zacharia said:

Between 3-13 months, with the goal of making it seem like it’s what the prick wants. Instead, I’m going to my brier patch.

So the first step of the process is in motion. “The prick” interviewed and offered my management positions at the one office to one of my subordinates. Totally shady how it was done, as he didn’t talk with me first, despite knowing I’d be happy to facilitate a power transfer. She’s not ready, and people who have worked for me for 15 years are stating there going to leave as a result. But it gets me one step closer to my goal. So by November 1st, my footprint in the Evil Empire will be be half, with ongoing efforts to move more and more over to the other office.

I once worked for a great company.  The mothership closed that place and the employees moved to another company where they created a great research division that I joined.  I went to work for them on a handshake and arrived on the first day at work, not even knowing what my pay would be other than I trusted them.  They gave me $5 hr more than I asked for.  We had a really good run for a couple of years creating some magic stuff that had never existed before.

Then we got bought by a stockholder funded company on the west coast and the downhill slide began.  Big company rules and regulations started getting in the way.  Pay raises stopped as the money was going to the board of directors and the CEO in the form of huge bonus payments.  Then they decided to shut down the research department that had been so successful for years and turn it into manufacturing engineering.  "No, we don't want stuff on satellites anymore, we want you to find a cheaper replacement for this expensive capacitor."  Then they started laying workers off and hiring them back as temps.  Then they laid off the older workers and I was gone.

?

• Sad 2

My bosses strive to do nothing all day. Profits and customer satisfaction is an after thought. As long as they can sit around in the air conditioning, watching TV and playing fetch with the dog, all is well. The owner only comes in to make sure everyone else did, then leaves to go play golf. They've even been known to send us home early so they can sneak out early, locking customers (unseen at the back part of the yard) behind the gates. They wanted to give me a gate key and post my cell number on the gate, just because they're too lazy to drive back and let the customers out. And then they sit around scratching their heads, wondering why we lose customers. :scratchhead:

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, team scooter said:

My bosses strive to do nothing all day. Profits and customer satisfaction is an after thought. As long as they can sit around in the air conditioning, watching TV and playing fetch with the dog, all is well. The owner only comes in to make sure everyone else did, then leaves to go play golf. They've even been known to send us home early so they can sneak out early, locking customers (unseen at the back part of the yard) behind the gates. They wanted to give me a gate key and post my cell number on the gate, just because they're too lazy to drive back and let the customers out. And then they sit around scratching their heads, wondering why we lose customers. :scratchhead:

But hey, the commute is short, right. :D

I say we picket the American Management Association. :D

• Heart 1

12 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Does that preclude him from making more money or having less real responsibility than you?

That is not always predicated on smart work.  Often It's from being a good yes man or a great schmoozer on the gold course.  More often it's because they have good employees prepping for them.  Being a corporate accountant does not make for a good manufacturing manager just because.......

1 hour ago, maddmaxx said:

I once worked for a great company.  The mothership closed that place and the employees moved to another company where they created a great research division that I joined.  I went to work for them on a handshake and arrived on the first day at work, not even knowing what my pay would be other than I trusted them.  They gave me $5 hr more than I asked for.  We had a really good run for a couple of years creating some magic stuff that had never existed before.

Then we got bought by a stockholder funded company on the west coast and the downhill slide began.  Big company rules and regulations started getting in the way.  Pay raises stopped as the money was going to the board of directors and the CEO in the form of huge bonus payments.  Then they decided to shut down the research department that had been so successful for years and turn it into manufacturing engineering.  "No, we don't want stuff on satellites anymore, we want you to find a cheaper replacement for this expensive capacitor."  Then they started laying workers off and hiring them back as temps.  Then they laid off the older workers and I was gone.

?

I once had a job I loved too....  But, my boss retired and a new guy came in.  The new guy was awful.  We used to joke that it wasn't a staff meeting until the new guy started yelling at someone. That someone was usually me. When I left, I took a significant pay cut and it was worth getting away from him.  

I recently saw that he got hired as a superintendent somewhere else.  I'm not sure what people see in him.

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

Does that preclude him from making more money or having less real responsibility than you?

I should restate that, he’s actually a very intelligent guy. His philosophies are way off base, and he’s completely narcissistic, and he trips all over himself in his execution of things. Terrible manager. I think our salaries are probably comparable, or close, he’s got a better base salary but I do more “overage”. I have more responsibility, he hasn’t yet been really called out on the carpet for any of his mistakes. I’m thinking it’s just a matter of time.

• 4 months later...