So I have been doing 7000 steps a day

Ralphie

I buy a new pair of shoes for the gym..(Brooks...Ghost..the same I use for walking) purchased this spring...the shoes I wore in the gym become my walking shoes...and depending on the wear....the old shoes become the beaters for yard work, mowing, washing the car...or like this last pair..worn flat..probably the trash...

Foot peeps will tell you it is a good thing to swap out shoes daily...it is good for your feets.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

4 hours ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

and my feet are not happy with me!  Mainly my heels say they want more padding!  I think I need a rest day or two.

This happened to me last year. I had been running and increasing my intensity. Then plantar fasciitis set it.  Had to stop.  

Try not to let it get to that point. 

• Awesome 1

2 hours ago, petitepedal said:

New shoes..you need to double those steps ..I get a new pair every year.

WoJSTL gets new shoes about every 500 miles which would be about a million steps. At 10,000 steps a day, that's only 100 days. In practice she gets a new pair twice a year. And she doesn't go cheap. She goes to a local running store and spends about $120 for a pair.

When I hurt my knee running last year, I was wearing an old pair of shoes on a hard indoor track. I'd forgot to pack my 'good' shoes. I think that it might have been a contributing factor.

5 hours ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

So I have been doing 7000 steps a day and my feet are not happy with me! 

So what does that equate to in distance or time?  Seems 7,000 seems pretty reasonable, but who the heck knows?  As an example, I go at least 100 steps just walking to the office kitchen to get a fresh water or coffee.  That's like 1,000 steps a day just within my office.

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

So what does that equate to in distance or time?

An average person has a stride length of approximately 2.1 to 2.5 feet. That means that it takes over 2,000 steps to walk one mile; and 10,000 steps would be almost 5 miles. A sedentary person may only average 1,000 to 3,000 steps a day. For these people adding steps has many health benefits.

• Awesome 1

Also from that link:

A reasonable goal is to increase average daily steps each week by 500 per day until you can easily average 10,000 per day. Example: If you currently average 3000 steps each day, your goal for week one is 3500 each day. Your goal week two is 4000 each day. Continue to increase each week and you should be averaging 10,000 steps by the end of 14 weeks.

There are many ways to increase daily steps. Here are few suggestions. Use your imagination and come up with your own list:

• Take a walk with your spouse, child, or friend
  • Walk the dog
  • Use the stairs instead of the elevator
  • Park farther from the store
  • Better yet, walk to the store
  • Get up to change the channel
  • Window shop
  • Plan a walking meeting
  • Walk over to visit a neighbor
  • Get outside to walk around the garden or do a little weeding

24 minutes ago, JerrySTL said:

WoJSTL gets new shoes about every 500 miles which would be about a million steps. At 10,000 steps a day, that's only 100 days. In practice she gets a new pair twice a year. And she doesn't go cheap. She goes to a local running store and spends about $120 for a pair.

When I hurt my knee running last year, I was wearing an old pair of shoes on a hard indoor track. I'd forgot to pack my 'good' shoes. I think that it might have been a contributing factor.

I was on a similar replacement plan when I ran a lot.  I had 2 pairs of “running shoes” and alternated.  One was usually 2-3 months older than the newer pair. As soon as I started to feel a twinge if shin pain I retired the shoe as a running shoe but could still walk around in them.

Running shoes were only worn for running, nothing else.

• Heart 2

14 minutes ago, Dottie said:

7000 steps is good! I owned a pedometer once but think I have lost it when we moved. Sadly I was getting half of that.

On the plus side, if you toss your motorbike and get back to riding a bike, you get 4,500 "steps" per hour riding :)

2 hours ago, Dottie said:

7000 steps is good! I owned a pedometer once but think I have lost it when we moved. Sadly I was getting half of that.

I think the moral is ride the {#%**} bike more!  Walking is good as a weight baring exercise, but biking is the shiznitz for low impact  

But the Hoka shews sound worthwhile also!

• Heart 1

34 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

I think the moral is ride the {#%**} bike more!  Walking is good as a weight baring exercise, but biking is the shiznitz for low impact  

But the Hoka shews sound worthwhile also!

I counted my steps on my lunch walk and it is generally 100-110 steps per minute of walking.  So, 10 mins = 1,000+ steps.  Three 10 minutes strolls through-out the day seems very, very easy, and a longer one at some other time would be reasonable as well.  I like my lunch walks since they achieve multiple things - 1) steps/activity, 2) head clearing, 3) errand running (getting lunch, etc.),  4) sightseeing/people watching, and 5) local awareness to an ever changing environment.  That's another 3k-5k on top of the morning and evening 10+ min strolls.  Add in that bike ride, and BOOM!  You are rocking it.

• Awesome 1

Just now, Razors Edge said:

Why doesn't that embed?

Anyway, folks should factor in their "pressing the accelerator" and "pressing the brake" so the car folk around here get some credit for activity.

I did not want it to embed you dolt!  It is funnier my way.

• Awesome 1
  • Haha 1