Shoe clip position

I`ve tried various clip positions on my cycle shoes from ahead of ball on foot to a little behind ball of foot and with heel inward to straight or parallel with bike.. Is there a preferred position with bikers..?

no, there aren't any real absolutes like "put your cleats as far left..." or anything. Most cycling shoe bottoms are pretty stiff. I like to get my cleats aligned so knees are comfortable, which is more about the way my foot is pointed

Basically, you want the cleat under the balls of your feet and your foot pointed in a way that doesn't torque your knee. All pedals have some float to them, which means you aren't riveted to the pedal, your cleat can move a bit before it unclips

If you are comfortable riding with what you have, keep it like it is. If your foot feels tender where your cleat is, see if you can get the cleat more under the balls of your feet. If your knee is bothering you, check how your cleat is aligned to the shoe and move it so your knee is in a better position

another thing...its not a bad idea to put some lock-tite on the bolts that hold your cleat. They can work loose over the course of a summer. If you don't have lock-tite, they would call nail polish "poor man's lock-tite" except most poor men don't bother with nail polish either

• Heart 1

The cleat should initially be set so that the pedal spindle falls in the middle of the bony ends of the the 1st and 5th metatarsal. This is typically just behind the ball of the foot..

Toe in/out won't affect hotspots or foot pain, it it used to adjust float so that the knee can move naturally.

Lateral placement of the cleat MAY cause a hot spots or foot pain but you will feel it on the offending side of the foot. It should be neutral and only moved in/out to help with knee movement through the pedal cycle.

• Heart 1

• 2 weeks later...