Cleaned my bikes and did some repair

Dirtyhip

So, I was getting into cleaning my bikes up today.  It is warmer now, so I can get out there and clean without frostbite,  

I had to deal with my Stumpy brakes.  They were being stupid and loud.  A little sanding, some brake cleaner and we are all better.  Pads were fine.  

I nicked my knuckle scrubbing down the cassette teeth, and I started to bleed.  I think I was well hydrated, because it was bleeding all over.  My husband was working on the trailer and he comes out to see my hand dripping blood, blood on my T shirt and blood on the driveway.  He's like "Oh no.  Your're bleeding."  I replied "Tis but a scratch."  

Found a rag and wrapped up my finger.  It was the smallest hole, but I bled pretty well.  

Three clean bikes, one more to go and I am caught up.  Time to dirty them again.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, ChrisL said:

Mine are due...

I absolutely hate squirt for a chain lube.  It gunks everything up.  I'm going back to white lightning or WD Epic ride (dry).  

My cassette and chains were a travesty.  I am ashamed I let it go like that.  It's really hard to clean bikes in the cold weather.

8 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

I absolutely hate squirt for a chain lube.  It gunks everything up.  I'm going back to white lightning or WD Epic ride (dry).  

My cassette and chains were a travesty.  I am ashamed I let it go like that.  It's really hard to clean bikes in the cold weather.

I have been using White Lightning/Clean Ride for ages. It works well for SoCal conditions.  What I like about it is it’s easy to clean the chain.  For my road bikes I just wipe with a rag & reapply.  For the MTB & crosser I use a little WD40 as a degreaser on the rag first. My bikes don’t see mud but the fine dirt/dust gets in all the nooks & crannies.

The issue for me is I have my 3 bikes and wife’s bike so it’s gonna take a little time.. 

7 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

I have been using White Lightning/Clean Ride for ages. It works well for SoCal conditions.  What I like about it is it’s easy to clean the chain.  For my road bikes I just wipe with a rag & reapply.  For the MTB & crosser I use a little WD40 as a degreaser on the rag first. My bikes don’t see mud but the fine dirt/dust gets in all the nooks & crannies.

The issue for me is I have my 3 bikes and wife’s bike so it’s gonna take a little time..  

Wife doesn't clean and polish her bikes?  

Sometimes, I clean my husbands bikes.  Not today.  Three were enough,  My body felt like that was enough.  

Just now, Dirtyhip said:

Wife doesn't clean and polish her bikes?  

Sometimes, I clean my husbands bikes.  Not today.  Three were enough,  My body felt like that was enough.  

Agh no... Seriously Mechanically challenged. The chuck on our floor pump gives her fits...  I do all maintenance & prep on our bikes.

I am actually having a hard time getting MTB rides in as she refuses to ride with her women’s groups, is tired of flatting/getting mechanicals(dropped chain)/crashing riding solo so if I don’t ride with her she won’t ride. But then that negates an opportunity for me to ride.  After work has been tough too as she rarely goes to the gym without me. So I end up going to the gym with her instead of riding my Anthem. And no she won’t schralp, tried that too..

Its really frustrating for me...

3 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Agh no... Seriously Mechanically challenged. The chuck on our floor pump gives her fits...  I do all maintenance & prep on our bikes.

I am actually having a hard time getting MTB rides in as she refuses to ride with her women’s groups, is tired of flatting/getting mechanicals(dropped chain)/crashing riding solo so if I don’t ride with her she won’t ride. But then that negates an opportunity for me to ride.  After work has been tough too as she rarely goes to the gym without me. So I end up going to the gym with her instead of riding my Anthem. And no she won’t schralp, tried that too..

Its really frustrating for me...

She need a clinic.  A flat repair clinic and a ladies ride clinic.  She just needs to be empowered more.  That used to be me.  I wouldn't ride without my husband.  Then, he went back to school and was busy all the time, and we had mixed days off.  It was ride alone, or get fat and be a terrible rider.  I started to branch out and ride close to home.  My thought is that if I did have a failure, I could walk home, or hitch.  Slowly, I got farther and farther from the home.  Then I started mountain biking alone.  Now, I feel more confident.  My past bike shop job helped too.  I had to learn to repair flats.  I would do the flat repairs, and simple mechanic stuff for people.  Sometimes, I would help with builds.  This was enormously good for my hobby.  It made me confident.

The floor pump used to give me trouble way back when.  My husband just kept showing me and was very patient.  Now, I can prep and do simple maintenance to prepare for rides.  I am mechanically inept with a lot of bike stuff.  Luckily, I know a cute mechanic that works for free.  My hands are clumsy.  I drop tools often.  Getting better, but I am better with making bread dough. 

My daily list before a mountain ride:

wipe stanchions and clean the seals on the forks, the shock and my dropper.  Clean the chain with a rag and re-lube chain, wipe off excess, air tires, and give the bike a look over to see if anything is awry.  

If needed: fill and auto sag, check fork pressure, and seat post pressure.  Auto sag is so easy.  I love that about the Fox float.  These are all simple things that I learned.

What is the disconnect with her going to a gym without you?  

Chris, if your wife drops chains a lot, get her on 1x.  It is so much easier for people that don't understand driven/drive.  My chain has a guide, so no chain drop and there is only easier or harder.  No more cross chaining.  Trying to explain that to a beginner is hard. 

4 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

She need a clinic.  A flat repair clinic and a ladies ride clinic.  She just needs to be empowered more.  That used to be me.  I wouldn't ride without my husband.  Then, he went back to school and was busy all the time, and we had mixed days off.  It was ride alone, or get fat and be a terrible rider.  I started to branch out and ride close to home.  My thought is that if I did have a failure, I could walk home, or hitch.  Slowly, I got farther and farther from the home.  Then I started mountain biking alone.  Now, I feel more confident.  My past bike shop job helped too.  I had to learn to repair flats.  I would do the flat repairs, and simple mechanic stuff for people.  Sometimes, I would help with builds.  This was enormously good for my hobby.  It made me confident.

The floor pump used to give me trouble way back when.  My husband just kept showing me and was very patient.  Now, I can prep and do simple maintenance to prepare for rides.  I am mechanically inept with a lot of bike stuff.  Luckily, I know a cute mechanic that works for free.  My hands are clumsy.  I drop tools often.  Getting better, but I am better with making bread dough. 

My daily list before a mountain ride:

wipe stanchions and clean the seals on the forks, the shock and my dropper.  Clean the chain with a rag and re-lube chain, wipe off excess, air tires, and give the bike a look over to see if anything is awry.  

If needed: fill and auto sag, check fork pressure, and seat post pressure.  Auto sag is so easy.  I love that about the Fox float.  These are all simple things that I learned.

What is the disconnect with her going to a gym without you?  

She’s been to several flat clinics put on by a local woman’s owned shop.  She still can’t figure it out. Rear flats might as well call Uber...  She doesn’t like riding with that group as they are squirrelly and she’s not comfortable riding in groups.

Shes not self motivated to work out without a push. Most days I have to do meal prep before work and plan for the gym. OK bring your clothes, I’ll meet you at the gym, don’t go home... Otherwise she’ll get home, eat crap & not work out. 

7 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Chris, if your wife drops chains a lot, get her on 1x.  It is so much easier for people that don't understand driven/drive.  My chain has a guide, so no chain drop and there is only easier or harder.  No more cross chaining.  Trying to explain that to a beginner is hard. 

Thanks but I put a chain catcher on her bike. She would simultaneously drop from the big to small while ramping up her cassette and drop her chain.  Problem solved...

The bigger issue I was getting at is nearly every time she’s ridden solo something bad has happened.  Flats, dropped chain and a serious crash putting her in ER.  She won’t do it even tho she says she will...

7 hours ago, ChrisL said:

Thanks but I put a chain catcher on her bike. She would simultaneously drop from the big to small while ramping up her cassette and drop her chain.  Problem solved...

The bigger issue I was getting at is nearly every time she’s ridden solo something bad has happened.  Flats, dropped chain and a serious crash putting her in ER.  She won’t do it even tho she says she will...

Oh my.  So for her, falling off doesn't mean getting back on the horse.  Not sure how to help that.  Sounds like she is very fearful.  Is it possible that she hasn't found the exercise hobby that she really enjoys?  

Rear flats suck.  They are my most troublesome flat repair.  I have triple A, but my husband would be annoyed with me, if I called them for a flat.  I better have a serious mechanical to use one of our tows.  I think they count a bike pickup as a tow.  Not sure. 

My worst riding alone story:

I was riding alone one on early morning, and I caught a branch through my rear spokes.  It ripped half of the drive side spokes of my rear carbon wheel and snapped the derailleur arm in half.  The bike wouldn't even spin anymore.  I walked down the mountain, and cried the entire time.  I wept for my new bike that I just demolished.  Yes, I am a girl.  I cry.  The only thing that got me home was walking to the doorstep of a buddy that lived at the base of the hill.  6:30 AM, on his doorstep, sobbing. He drove me home. Had to send the wheel into Spec.  Drive side is high tension spokes.  There was no fix for that, locally.  Boo hoo.  The sound it made, made my guts hurt.  I didn't crash.  Just came to massively abrupt stop.  It happened at the lander off a nice kicker.

8 hours ago, ChrisL said:

Maybe she really just doesn't enjoy biking.  Some people don't.  Also, if one doesn't ride a lot, their ass never gets past saddle pain.  When I have an injury, the worst part of returning is saddle pain.  I cringe just thinking of doing normal rides without a strong sit bone area.

4 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

Oh my.  So for her, falling off doesn't mean getting back on the horse.  Not sure how to help that.  Sounds like she is very fearful.  Is it possible that she hasn't found the exercise hobby that she really enjoys?  

Rear flats suck.  They are my most troublesome flat repair.  I have triple A, but my husband would be annoyed with me, if I called them for a flat.  I better have a serious mechanical to use one of our tows.  I think they count a bike pickup as a tow.  Not sure. 

My worst riding alone story:

I was riding alone one on early morning, and I caught a branch through my rear spokes.  It ripped half of the drive side spokes of my rear carbon wheel and snapped the derailleur arm in half.  The bike wouldn't even spin anymore.  I walked down the mountain, and cried the entire time.  I wept for my new bike that I just demolished.  Yes, I am a girl.  I cry.  The only thing that got me home was walking to the doorstep of a buddy that lived at the base of the hill.  6:30 AM, on his doorstep, sobbing. He drove me home. Had to send the wheel into Spec.  Drive side is high tension spokes.  There was no fix for that, locally.  Boo hoo.  The sound it made, made my guts hurt.  I didn't crash.  Just came to massively abrupt stop.  It happened at the lander off a nice kicker.

Maybe she really just doesn't enjoy biking.  Some people don't.  Also, if one doesn't ride a lot, their ass never gets past saddle pain.  When I have an injury, the worst part of returning is saddle pain.  I cringe just thinking of doing normal rides without a strong sit bone area.

I think you are right with the finding the activity she really enjoys.  She does enjoy riding, just not all the maintenance involved with it.  I had put puncture resistant tubes on her bike once but the lady LBS owner gave me grief about it and assured us she’d teach my wife how to change flats.  

Thinking it’s time to put them back in...

3 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

I think you are right with the finding the activity she really enjoys.  She does enjoy riding, just not all the maintenance involved with it.  I had put puncture resistant tubes on her bike once but the lady LBS owner gave me grief about it and assured us she’d teach my wife how to change flats.  

Thinking it’s time to put them back in...

Tubeless.  Tubeless.  Tubeless.

Not going to add a brag, as it is bad luck.  I'll just say this:  TUBELESS

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Tubeless.  Tubeless.  Tubeless.

Not going to add a brag, as it is bad luck.  I'll just say this:  TUBELESS

Yeah that’s an option too.  More work for me though where as flat resistant tubes are one & done.

4 hours ago, ChrisL said:

Yeah that’s an option too.  More work for me though where as flat resistant tubes are one & done.

My only hesitation about this advice is if she doesn't ride enough.  You don't want tubeless to sit on flats, then you have to set the bead again.  Does she ride enough to keep the tires from flatting out?  If not, you may have to go and spin it around the block and keep the air up.  I love my tubeless system.  My gal pal went back to tubes in her bike, cause she doesn't ride enough and her bike goes flat.  She complained about having to get it reset.  My reply was "Just ride your bike more, and don't let it go flat from sitting too long."  That wasn't well received.  I have said to her before, if your bike has cobwebs, you should ride more.

• Heart 1

Back to my original point of contention is yes, she’s riding more now that she’s healed from her last crash.  I can’t seat the bead on my Anthem as I don’t have a compressor so I take it to my LBS. beside the cost for new wheels, it’s just another thing for me to maintain...

I hear ya but it’s gonna he tubes for a long while.