memorial day miles & such

bikeman564™

Opted for a straightforward ride out and back with nothing too interesting in hopes of some calm after a tough few days.  Anyway, was rewarded with two separate groundhogs and two separate snakes on the trail. After the snapper (snapping?) turtle on Friday, I'm getting some of the less regular wildlife making appearances with the normal rabbits, squirrels, and deer.

50+ miles but not a very accurate measurement after my Garmin* locked up and then rebooted after I got a series of texts.  Bizarre, but the straight line shows the small amount of distance I got screwed out of :(

image.png.12d913e42d71eccbe6b91d1c138795fa.png

* I'm worried the 520 is nearing its end-of-life.  The "grade" has been off by 2o-3o for a couple weeks now.  I know when I am going up or down a 3o grade - especially my regular routes -  and the Garmin is now lying right to my face.  Total elevation is still seemingly accurate.

• Heart 1

Does ANY road in Virginia have a shoulder, or less than a million cars?  Riding in Jersey must have us spoiled.

Wife and I did 45, out of the campground at Bull Run.  Thanks to Old#7, we had a basic route to follow.  We were well over 25 miles before we finally got to roads without traffic!  She was NOT happy.  She's not afan of traffic or hills.  But it was an excellent ride, thankfully about the time the storms got ready to roll in, we had a tailwind and downhill all the way into Mannassas.

I do have to give the drivers credit, almost every one of them gave us the lane, waiting patiently for a chance to go around.  I really never felt like I was in danger.

18 minutes ago, 12string said:

Does ANY road in Virginia have a shoulder, or less than a million cars?  Riding in Jersey must have us spoiled.

Wife and I did 45, out of the campground at Bull Run.  Thanks to Old#7, we had a basic route to follow.  We were well over 25 miles before we finally got to roads without traffic!  She was NOT happy.  She's not afan of traffic or hills.  But it was an excellent ride, thankfully about the time the storms got ready to roll in, we had a tailwind and downhill all the way into Mannassas.

I do have to give the drivers credit, almost every one of them gave us the lane, waiting patiently for a chance to go around.  I really never felt like I was in danger. 

VA is not much in the "shoulder" department, but then, I don't ride the roads that have & require shoulders (highways).  If folks are squeamish about riding on the road and occupying the 3' or so along the right side of the lane, then VA would be a little scary for sure.  If I wasn't lazy, I'd post some video of me riding out past Leesburg and the half dozen cars that pass me in a 30 minute stretch of roads.  I think most drivers are either okay with cyclists or just used to them, so when a car does pass, it usually gives a pretty wide gap.  BUT it just takes ONE psycho or distracted driver :(