Bike Storage

Tizeye

Beginning clearing the garage, weekly garbage collection at a time. Looking for options for hanging the bike as space clears. Will be on the 3' ledge (intended got washing machine, dryer, and heater) that then drops down into the garage. That is where they are now, side by side, slid into an exercise frame holding them up that will be history, but also is tight, barely clearing wall to back door.  Have an old hook in the ceiling currently holding a fertilizer spreader. May temporarily use that hook, but looking long term, And of course access to electric panels which may improve, providing an easy path. Probably won't do a side by side hang and would require a 2x6 across the ceiling joist. 

A few questions:

1) Which is better - ceiling hook or the wall mounted hook (probably hang straight down rather than rail to other tire extending out)?

2) Was at LBS looking at styles, they cautioned that bikes with shocks should be kept level. Is this an issue or does it matter? They had road bikes up top  and mountain bikes below, rear raised about a foot but front tire on the ground.

3) Would love to keep both level using a pole mount against the wall, but the width of the bikes are greater than the 3' ledge and would have to move the shelves down impacting lawnmower and hanging tools space, etc.

Any suggestions? That conduit in the picture is not electrical. It is wired CAT 6 networking with the router (and where I am typing this) on other side of wall.

IMG_2071.JPG

I have my cross & road bikes hanging upside down from hooks.  It’s been working well for years but I have wooden joists running the length of my garage so it’s the perfect place.

Back in the LF days VB once said he wasn’t sure if the upper fork seals would hold the fluid in the stanchion under long term upside down storage so he didn’t recommend it. But I also read it’s good to invert the bike for periods of time to lubricate the upper seals. Anyway I have never stored my mtn bikes upside down for that reason.

Here is my set up. My other road bike and wife’s bike are side by side behind those two.  They hang over my car so it’s dead space.  If I had a suv I’d have to rethink that set up.

69E8C2A7-6757-4048-954C-DB9434BFC9C1.jpeg

@DH...Nice. The lower photo is what I would like but don't have the space. Looking at it though, will have to experiment if can turn the fork, handlebar over the crossbar, and where wheel is pointing out. Will be interesting. Will get to it during the week when have time to clean out. The sling exerciser piece of crap wife's co-worker gave to her. Goodwill will take it, but not the metal bedframes. Go figure. Also that locker on the floor now has some of me tools in it, but was wife's foot locker in college in the 70's with her dorm address pained on it...and the rug on top was also from her college days.

50 minutes ago, Tizeye said:

@DH...Nice. The lower photo is what I would like but don't have the space. Looking at it though, will have to experiment if can turn the fork, handlebar over the crossbar, and where wheel is pointing out. Will be interesting. Will get to it during the week when have time to clean out. The sling exerciser piece of crap wife's co-worker gave to her. Goodwill will take it, but not the metal bedframes. Go figure. Also that locker on the floor now has some of me tools in it, but was wife's foot locker in college in the 70's with her dorm address pained on it...and the rug on top was also from her college days.

Thanks.

Sports equipment takes up half the living room in addition to having a 36 x 24 garage in the back.  The garage has a large door, so we can easily fit a trailer, our truck and the bikes.   We are at max though.  If I buy a new bike, one has to go. 

Rower, tiffin mat, ball, 2 bikes in the living room.  We don't have a lot of sitting furniture.  One cheapo couch and a chair.  The nicest room in our home is the kitchen, and then our living room, which is mostly for working out and stretching.  It's kind of trashy, but we are happy.

@Tizeye, the bikes are tight in the rack.  The wheels have to be pointed the same direction, or they are all tangled up.  Also, I have to be very cautious pulling them out, as the pedal will strike a wheel.  My pedals are sharp as hell on my MTB.  Boomslangs and other similar bloodletting types.

10 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

Why isn't this also hard on the front shocks?

There is no weight on the fork, only the exception of the front wheel, which it is designed to do.  Upside down or hanging upright, the entire bike's weight is pulling down on the fork.  This is especially bad, in the upside down position.  The crown has gravity and weight pulling on it as it hangs by the wheel.  Maybe if it is used a lot, not sure if it is a as big of a concern.  Some people don't ride their bikes in the winter.  I just wouldn't want my baby hanging upside down.  It's icky.  

Maybe it is minimal wear, maybe not.  Whatever.  I like storing ours in the position they are designed for.  We built a garage to house our hobby comfortably.

44 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

There is no weight on the fork, only the exception of the front wheel, which it is designed to do.  Upside down or hanging upright, the entire bike's weight is pulling down on the fork.  This is especially bad, in the upside down position.  The crown has gravity and weight pulling on it as it hangs by the wheel.  Maybe if it is used a lot, not sure if it is a as big of a concern.  Some people don't ride their bikes in the winter.  I just wouldn't want my baby hanging upside down.  It's icky.  

Maybe it is minimal wear, maybe not.  Whatever.  I like storing ours in the position they are designed for.  We built a garage to house our hobby comfortably.

So it is hanging a bike with shocks from the wheels that is potentially bad, not hanging the bike in general.   This makes sense. I was worried it might just be bad in general to hang a bike with suspension, which would really complicate bike storage.

24 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

So it is hanging a bike with shocks from the wheels that is potentially bad, not hanging the bike in general.   This makes sense. I was worried it might just be bad in general to hang a bike with suspension, which would really complicate bike storage.

Bingo. Probably not terrible on the shock, but the fork style shocks are definitely a concern.  Even in that upright position, OOF!  Not so sure about doing that.

Like I said, if you use it daily and often, maybe you will never notice issues with it in upright, but there is gravity and weight pulling on that. Gravity is a bitch.  Looking at my skin, and body, yeah … gravity and age kills.

9 minutes ago, dennis said:

I've used these. If you can make it work, they are nice.  

Image result for delta bike rack storage

I use similar in my garage.  Three walls so three bikes can be hung.  However, since we ride three of out four regularly, only the fourth gets hung normally. The rest are on the ground (and sometimes in the way) ready to go.

29 minutes ago, dennis said:

Clear the clutter. How much of what is in your garage is useful and how much needs to go away. 

I've used these. If you can make it work, they are nice. 

Image result for delta bike rack storage

My set-up in my bedroom.

a773F0j_rGKx971WF-a-ucceKrlSouEM85Igl27epkOYj-7YY4_S3hG66mgfZrKyqs8vxNt7UzbkBviaVWlcviFJ9dxZ6SefElKtsQfl45uxY-pGKsblLLbCxhyMX-DGDb9xnQtYDc7CE_IwGICMMS2xwA909KMUed1jzJba9UfGqhfuFKCwhDM24BHzbE-eqMNB9NPbxFM62FaG7UXBOOVt0b8uJPzW5mgPJKtKj5_2e-FJisS2aI97jtBXwjMbqTWz1O0rbFw8M71ojBwAX5iXP4cIlkLOQ3BtNUTz27lFoe998gOmAZ9VQwgBwHotXFjJQrkCE6NpE4OHgO4qmLGQ2ViBdhjuA4VRtB5OxM9guP1gQCWf-kLfWksFsGISsuhNaYfAOFfYVpcyvKDfvPfVpBLA6xzUBkruPrOcl95o5nuntt_r2Mqpgxos3W3Ay47TZWwbpy64WuZn9jByJMlz2yh4BDj8AeoPbg_lZLQmHWtyc_tYnhlxeGum42ycTqv-akX8UkfcYvXoD8gdRtZq64reZVc2mpXL5NjsoayiebSBKQvwnLqcZCcb_GPw9inchpa8xNW7Pdm24uPikzbJd8cud_62jpoHTlY5nlvZVlDVi86_LlM1jt7CI1xG1GECkUHnjKnWAh-jrDIRVvZ5llfk-IY=w1359-h764-no

Hey, I am not getting rid of my animals skulls, or my viking helmet.  :D

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

I use similar in my garage.  Three walls so three bikes can be hung.  However, since we ride three of out four regularly, only the fourth gets hung normally. The rest are on the ground (and sometimes in the way) ready to go. 

IMG_7495.thumb.jpg.49c40759f8db980d7e28c97f41e806de.jpg

45 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

That's @Tizeye's garage!

I know. He should ditch it. Why do we fertilize grass? It grows faster and you have to cut it more often. All things that waste time and cost more money. And most fertilizers pollute our water. It seems like a really bad idea.

20 minutes ago, dennis said:

I know. He should ditch it. Why do we fertilize grass? It grows faster and you have to cut it more often. All things that waste time and cost more money. And most fertilizers pollute our water. It seems like a really bad idea. 

It could be a seed spreader????

I don't think Florida even has grass except in Disney or on a golf course.

40 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

It could be a seed spreader????

I don't think Florida even has grass except in Disney or on a golf course.

It is a fertilizer spreader. Only grass seed is that crappy bahia that you see along the road, or Bermuda. Better grass is laying sod...and my yard took 22 pallets of St Augustine Seville - that is why I keep it fertilized.

Here is an almost 'after' picture as finally able to get back to it. Have actually had 4 bikes in that corner before.  Hang the road bike from the hook that was holding the spreader. Mountain bike (FL has mountains???) balanced between the road bike and the shelves. As I noted it was "almost" done, now that I know the fit will trash the ceiling hook and get two wall mounts, moving the roadbike left about 6"  and the mounts will support each bike independently rather than sandwiching the mountain bike in. That arrangement also opened it up for storing some gear and the ability to easily access the two electrical panels.

https://www.amazon.com/Dirza-Bicycle-Hanger-Vertical-Storage/dp/B074DXWCMX/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=bike+storage&qid=1559076153&s=gateway&sr=8-4

Another project is clearing that shelving. I noticed on the bottom row was a 19" CRT TV capable of PAL/SECAM/NTSC reception, 110/220v, 50/60hz. Don't think I will need it anymore.

IMG_2073.JPG

14 minutes ago, Tizeye said:

It is a fertilizer spreader. Only grass seed is that crappy bahia that you see along the road, or Bermuda. Better grass is laying sod...and my yard took 22 pallets of St Augustine Seville - that is why I keep it fertilized.

Here is an almost 'after' picture as finally able to get back to it. Have actually had 4 bikes in that corner before.  Hang the road bike from the hook that was holding the spreader. Mountain bike (FL has mountains???) balanced between the road bike and the shelves. As I noted it was "almost" done, now that I know the fit will trash the ceiling hook and get two wall mounts, moving the roadbike left about 6"  and the mounts will support each bike independently rather than sandwiching the mountain bike in. That arrangement also opened it up for storing some gear and the ability to easily access the two electrical panels.

https://www.amazon.com/Dirza-Bicycle-Hanger-Vertical-Storage/dp/B074DXWCMX/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=bike+storage&qid=1559076153&s=gateway&sr=8-4

Another project is clearing that shelving. I noticed on the bottom row was a 19" CRT TV capable of PAL/SECAM/NTSC reception, 110/220v, 50/60hz. Don't think I will need it anymore.

IMG_2073.JPG

Is that an old Panasonic?  My buddy had one from that era that looked like that.

6 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Is that an old Panasonic?  My buddy had one from that era that looked like that.

Yep. Used when stationed in England. Was using it in the US to watch some PAL VCR's but then the VCR player broke. Held onto it because you can't get it here...but technology has left it behind.

1 minute ago, Tizeye said:

Yep. Used when stationed in England. Was using it in the US to watch some PAL VCR's but then the VCR player broke. Held onto it because you can't get it here...but technology has left it behind.

Wait what?  I was talking about the white bike hanging in the wall with the rainbow markings.  Floppy brake cables, down tube shifters... 

• Heart 1

Just now, ChrisL said:

Wait what?  I was talking about the white bike hanging in the wall with the rainbow markings.  Floppy brake cables, down tube shifters... 

When you asked about a Panasonic...the TV that I referenced on the bottom shelf.

This is a British bike, not Japanese. Falcon, also purchased in 1986 at an LBS in Cambridge when I was stationed over there. Will probably be adding a 3rd bike - which was part of my motivation - Sometime later this year after my trip to Switzerland. Some local people who collect vintage bikes are drooling over it, but don't think will sell. It has a Reynolds 531c frame and while I still have the original wheels in the attic, I upgraded the wheels to Mavic Open Road Pros with Chorus hubs and converted from 6sp tp 9sp gearing. Probably the worst thing I did as it rolled so nice after that couldn't justify trashing it for a new bike.  Has the original Campy downshifter and front derailleur.

Normally have a straight road set-up but here for a solo day tour through the everglades with the rack.

DSC_5149-2500px.jpg

DSC_5246-2500px.jpg

• Heart 2

53 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

When you get paid on Friday, add 4 feet to the back of the garage.

I just dropped 8 Grand today for full house replacement windows, replacing the original single pane with double pane including one of the panes doubled hurricane non-shatter. No longer have to board my windows...and they cover glass breakage as the outer pane is standard glass. Forget extending the garage, that $8000 would have bought a great bike!