Lets play another game

Dirtyhip

2 hours ago, donkpow said:

Rat.

It would have been an enormous rat.  

What are those things that live in rivers called?  Nutria?  I don't know if they live here.  I have never seen one.

Could it be a marmot?  The head is about the size of a marmot or maybe a little larger.  I should measure it.

3 hours ago, Tizeye said:

It's not nice to post a picture of the in-laws. ?

With a pair of powerful pincher teeth, going to guess beaver?

Beaver sounds like the correct answer here.  I have a professor that I can ask this week.  She teaches natural science.  She will know.  

Just now, ChrisL said:

So did you find that thing on the trail & bring it home!?!?  

Yes.  we carry bags in our packs for picking up random trash, and the occasional head. It was found during trail work, not JRA.

It is not a protected species , so I felt safe in taking it.  You can NOT take a part of a carcass that is a protected species. 

I'm going to take it in that backyard and boil it down to clean it up for display. 

• Haha 1

Just now, Dirtyhip said:

Yes.  we carry bags in our packs for picking up random trash, and the occasional head. It was found during trail work, not JRA.

It is not a protected species , so I felt safe in taking it.  You can NOT take a part of a carcass that is a protected species. 

I'm going to take it in that backyard and boil it down to clean it up for display. 

Awesome!  I’d care less if it was protected or not, I was just wrapping my head around that mostly decomposed skull in my bag!  I’d probably do the same.

5 minutes ago, donkpow said:

Wait, it could be a big rat.

latest?cb=20140809145255

The Natural science professor said it was a beaver, but she wants to see the head after I boil it off.  She said:  This is one gem of a find.   

She wasn't alarmed that I dragged it home at all.  Perfectly normal behavior.  :D

• Awesome 1