The bike shed is coming along

smudge

37 minutes ago, Tizeye said:

Great! Now we have a place to stay when we come for a visit. Sure beats pitching a tent in the back yard! ?

Now let's talk about the siding and color scheme, or were you going to brick it?

Not vinyl siding. Probably T1-11. Thinking about brown metal roofing (color of chocolate pudding; mmmm). No brick, sorry. :D

14 hours ago, smudge said:

Not vinyl siding. Probably T1-11. Thinking about brown metal roofing (color of chocolate pudding; mmmm). No brick, sorry. :D

OK so too late now but if you were going to use T1-11 siding why didn't you just use that instead of the OSB for sheating?

3 hours ago, Kzoo said:

I would eliminate those widows and maybe put a couple gable end lights in.  Those windows are asking to be broken in a camp setting.  Don't give them easy access to the inside.  Solid door and no ground level windows...

My daughter is making curtains for it. ?

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Kzoo said:

OK so too late now but if you were going to use T1-11 siding why didn't you just use that instead of the OSB for sheating?

Cuz HoSmudge said so. 

Seriously, he admits he over builds everything. Problem is it adds to the cost of the build. Ah well, it'll be solid!

• Heart 2

51 minutes ago, smudge said:

OMG, I am spent!!! Two days in a row working on this stuff is for young guys! Anyway...

The trusses... (Rather precarious with two old people trying to do this!)

74044.jpg.a96fef00390afc3e1bad4adf3188b812.jpg

The porch floor so far. Tacked together for now. Will secure with screws when I have some gumption. (All measuring, cutting, digging, rock hauling by smudge. Pretty proud of it.)

08.jpg.61c2e44cc76cbcef52a307ed8b38dc1e.jpg

This is how far along it is now. The sticking out boards are where the porch roof will be. It will extend a foot past the porch floor.  The 2*4's on the front are supports for the gable end for now.

149.jpg.120f2c01d2f86b54b82d813deeaa3638.jpg

I'm hoping I get to liking that roof pitch. Still looks goofy to me. 

Needs a tower hooked on to it.

• Heart 1

When I suggested you build a bike shed I didn’t picture a small bike mansion.  A porch... with a roof.... winders with curtains....  HoSmudge is going to be storing stuff in there.

And as for the roof pitch, reduced snow load.

8 hours ago, Kzoo said:

When I suggested you build a bike shed I didn’t picture a small bike mansion.  A porch... with a roof.... winders with curtains....  HoSmudge is going to be storing stuff in there.

And as for the roof pitch, reduced snow load.

Honestly, it started out as a small 8*6. I laid out sticks on the ground to try that out for size, but it was actually too small when I added my bike. It grew from there. And, no, HoSmudge will not be storing things in there. He has the existing camp outbuildings plus his own newer building. It's something like 16*20 with a sort of lean-to attached for a woodshed. (NO holes were dug, and no concrete was poured for this woodshed. Ha!) He will be glad when my stuff is in my own shed and out of his way.

Ya, the snow load is another issue.

He's really not in good health (numerous back surgeries), but he absolutely loves this type of work. It's hard on him, but he'll spend the next few days recovering. We'll work another day, and he'll spend a few more days recovering. But, like I say, it's his favorite hobby. And I enjoy it too.

5411.thumb.jpg.2ed603de6ef4487ef412d437a1148d23.jpg

• Heart 2