Back at Allegheny General

Longjohn

This is the noisiest surgical waiting room I have ever been in and I have been in a lot of them. Do you ever feel like telling someone to shut up already?  I was sitting near someone who was yapping on their phone, it when on and on. I finally got up and moved to the other side of the room. Now there is a lady talking who thinks she is speaking to the whole room. She needs to learn how to use her inside voice. The loud person is over on the far wall under the sign that shows status of each patient.

I thought we would be in and out of here in an hour or so. They told me where the cafeteria is to get my lunch. They said if there are no complications it will be another four hours or so. :frantics:image.thumb.jpg.519295993e281106aa7d716630d54bbf.jpg

• Sad 1

24 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Did you need to ask for directions? Hubcaps still there?

I left my Australian GPS girl on Waze guide  me around to get back across the river. I think she had me take the seventh street bridge. If I didn’t have gps I’d still be driving around Pittsburgh. I didn’t use it coming down because I knew where I was going, the rain and traffic threw me off. I hate driving on wet roads in the dark. The wet pavement seems to suck up the light from the headlights. I had the wipers on high speed and it was still hard to see.

It could have been worse. One lady in the waiting room was calling road service. She has a flat tire in the entrance to valet parking. They wouldn’t park her car with the flat so she is partially blocking the entrance. I don’t know if she is having surgery or a family member.

Last September my wife had surgery at Shadyside hospital. My GPS girl told me where to turn but I took the wrong fork. It’snot easy to turn around in Pittsburgh but I found Liberty Ave. I told my wife this will work, the hospital is on Liberty. One section of Liberty looks like where Clark got lost in the video above. It didn’t bother me but my wife was stressing.

• Heart 1

3 hours ago, Longjohn said:

Last September my wife had surgery at Shadyside hospital. My GPS girl told me where to turn but I took the wrong fork. It’snot easy to turn around in Pittsburgh but I found Liberty Ave. I told my wife this will work, the hospital is on Liberty. One section of Liberty looks like where Clark got lost in the video above. It didn’t bother me but my wife was stressing.

Yeah, but anything you find on Liberty Ave is MUCH safer than what you’ll find on the North Side surrounding AGH. 

Best wishes for a negative biopsy result.

• Awesome 1

15 minutes ago, Further said:

Hoping for good news.

Pittsburgh is in the top 5 most frustrating cities I've ever driven in. You can sometimes see where you want to be, but can't get there from here.

My recent trip to Montreal was like that. Maddening. Knew exactly where I wanted to go, but not how to get there.  After a couple days I learned enough to get me back and forth between office and hotel. Weather too crappy to go anywhere else.

Back to medical: My parents go to Burlington VT for treatment. They have a hotel - free I think - for overnight stays to take the stress off medical stays. Like a Ronald McDonald house, but for seniors.

LJ posted that no liver biopsy done because they couldn't find a lesion. That could be great news.

• Heart 2

9 hours ago, Longjohn said:

This is the noisiest surgical waiting room I have ever been in and I have been in a lot of them. Do you ever feel like telling someone to shut up already?  I was sitting near someone who was yapping on their phone, it when on and on. I finally got up and moved to the other side of the room. Now there is a lady talking who thinks she is speaking to the whole room. She needs to learn how to use her inside voice. The loud person is over on the far wall under the sign that shows status of each patient.

I thought we would be in and out of here in an hour or so. They told me where the cafeteria is to get my lunch. They said if there are no complications it will be another four hours or so. :frantics:image.thumb.jpg.519295993e281106aa7d716630d54bbf.jpg

Next time, eat some baked beans or potato salad, sit next to the loud people and don’t hold back! Then smile!

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Further said:

Hoping for good news.

Pittsburgh is in the top 5 most frustrating cities I've ever driven in. You can sometimes see where you want to be, but can't get there from here.

I’ve heard other people say this, but I don’t get it. With the awareness that you’re driving on a triangle, with two basic routes up and down the two rivers, and an awareness of the topography that makes cutting across difficult, it’s not that hard. I imagine I’d think differently driving a semi across town, though.

16 hours ago, BuffJim said:

My recent trip to Montreal was like that.

OMG, Montreal was the worst! I was coming back from NE Canada & the Expos were playing at home. I could not find my way there, even though I could see the stadium. (FTR, yes, I can read French) After my second lap around the highways, I gave up & went to the hotel.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

. I imagine I’d think differently driving a semi across town, though.

Actually it wasn’t that bad. Pittsburgh drivers show empathy for semi drivers and get out of their way(maybe it’s just fear). If you find that you are in heavy traffic and need to get over several lanes for your exit just turn on your turn signal and start to move in that direction and the lane opens up. That doesn’t work as well in a car.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Longjohn said:

Actually it wasn’t that bad. Pittsburgh drivers show empathy for semi drivers and get out of their way(maybe it’s just fear). If you find that you are in heavy traffic and need to get over several lanes for your exit just turn on your turn signal and start to move in that direction and the lane opens up. That doesn’t work as well in a car.

Actually, it's not that bad in a car. Pittsburgh drivers are fairly accomodating of merging traffic. I know which lanes move fastest and hop between them when crossing our bridges at rush hour. It's a bit like playing the game of frogger, but not terrible. If you don't know the traffic patterns, rush hour can be annoyingly slow, although still way better than most metro areas I have driven.  

The frustrating thing about Pittsburgh is that there may be only 1 road that connects areas, and if you don't know about it you can drive in circles for a while, between the rivers and the hills there are a lot of obstacles and not a lot of ways around them.

GPS has made it much better, but road closures can still throw a wrench in your plan.  

1 hour ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Actually, it's not that bad in a car. Pittsburgh drivers are fairly accomodating of merging traffic. I know which lanes move fastest and hop between them when crossing our bridges at rush hour. It's a bit like playing the game of frogger, but not terrible. If you don't know the traffic patterns, rush hour can be annoyingly slow, although still way better than most metro areas I have driven.  

Coming off 579 heading for Bigelow looks like it couldn’t  possibly work but the traffic actually moves right along. I don’t know how it does. One thing I notice is when a light turns green they move a lot of cars through it and when it turns yellow they move about ten more.