Headset Bolt Replacement

Razors Edge

I'm not sure of the technical name of these two bolts, but I want to replace them as they are also getting corroded and ugly.  Can I remove ONE, replace it with a new bolt (setting tight but not torqued fully), remove the second one, replace it, semi-torque it, torque the first one to spec, torque the second to spec, and move on?  Or is it more a "if you loosen the guys too much, you have to follow the whole enchilada" sort of thing in the video below? Seems it should be simple, but I have no idea, and if I'm doing the whole shebang, I might as well get the headset services too.

image.png.59347e59127af5bc7d9986f798dd36cd.png

If you do it with the bike sitting on it's wheels and without loosening the top cap there should be no problem tall.  You could probably do both at the same time so long as you are careful not to rotate the handlebar in relation to the fork (assuming that it will move with the top bolt remaining tightened.  Tighten little bit bottom, little bit top, bottom, top, bottom, top.  Each bolt will seem to be looser after the other is tightened.

• Awesome 1

1 hour ago, maddmaxx said:

If you do it with the bike sitting on it's wheels and without loosening the top cap there should be no problem tall.  You could probably do both at the same time so long as you are careful not to rotate the handlebar in relation to the fork (assuming that it will move with the top bolt remaining tightened.  Tighten little bit bottom, little bit top, bottom, top, bottom, top.  Each bolt will seem to be looser after the other is tightened. 

Thanks.  That was my guess but didn't want to screw with something that was "fine" except for cosmetics.

Those are called pinch bolts and it would work as you described and Max confirmed. However if you keep the top cap tight everything will stay compressed si you could pull them both out. Its just a matter of keeping the bars aligned.

I’d like to add anodized bolts, green for the crosser orange for the Anthem.

• Awesome 1