Concerning...Severe potential...Tornado Watch likely 

Valid 281702Z - 281900Z

Probability of Watch Issuance...95 percent

SUMMARY...Storms are expected to develop this afternoon and will
   likely become severe. Large hail, damaging wind gusts, and a few
   tornadoes are possible. A tornado watch will likely be issued in the
   next couple of hours.
  • Heart 1

thanks for the heads-up, Jim.  I wouldn't have expected it on a day like today - cloudy and 70 degrees right now, with off-and-on rain since about 9AM.  This doesn't seem like the kind of day conducive to that kind of energy buildup.

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

My flight from Denver last night was delayed two hours due to tornado warnings. Saw a light of lighting on the flight home.

Forgot about PZ, he's in there, too. Last night was crazy. Weather channel was taking a lot if heat for not covering it. While a local (Dayton?) meteorologist was taking a lot of heat for pre-empting the Bachelorette.

3 minutes ago, TrentonMakes said:

thanks for the heads-up, Jim.  I wouldn't have expected it on a day like today - cloudy and 70 degrees right now, with off-and-on rain since about 9AM.  This doesn't seem like the kind of day conducive to that kind of energy buildup.

You'll probably be at the back end of the timing of all this.

Two active tornado warnings now, near Williamsport and State College.

I'm looking at the radar and trying to extrapolate the red blobs' progress into NJ..... my wife is battening down the hatches just in case.  (hopefully my son is helping)

• Heart 1

Lots of hot conditions with humidity in the area.  Feels warmer than the 90o showing on my outdoor thermometer.  Am considering a ride, but also considering just kicking the AC up a notch or two!  Thank god we got the AC replaced last month.  May is surprisingly warm sometimes, and June can be HOT.

18 minutes ago, Airehead said:

Where in Md. tried to call my dad for something else. Doesn’t even go to voice mail. Googling now

They ended up not putting MD into the Tornado watch. Doesn’t mean there’s no risk, just not as high. 

It just passed through here - very underwhelming after all that warning, but that's ok!  Just a tad of lightning and thunder and rain, and lots of dark!  Thankfully no hail or sharknado.

Uh-oh - round 2 coming through now.  Sharknado watch until aboot 10 PM. Berry berry dark.  Ruby has her thundershirt on.

• Heart 2

My friend in Sandy Lake posted a live video as soon as our power came back on. Hailstones about the size of tennis balls. Her windshield was broke. A lot of leaves and branches down on her car. I watch the storm go by. We were just on the edge of it. Lots of thunder, not much else.

• Heart 1

5 hours ago, Further said:

Lots of lightning going on right now. The clouds are so thick & low that you can't see the lightning bolts, just flashes. 

Just started to rain, gotta check the windows...

We had some so dark I was checking for funnel clouds, thankfully none. 

• Heart 1

luckily it was a relatively quiet night in our neck of the woods - everything seemed to go either north or south of us. A "trained spotter" reported seeing a funnel cloud in one of the big storms up north - those warnings lasted a long time as the storms moved from PA to NYC.

• Heart 1

23 hours ago, BuffJim said:

Eyes to the sky LJ, Mick, Further, Ralph, Trenton and probably others.

Also Kansas City is under the gun.

Thanks for the warning. The heat and humidity yesterday, today, and tomorrow (Thurs) are awful here: we're supposed to have highs in the upper-70's to lower-80's for the 7 days after that and I'm getting all my late Spring Cleaning done in places I don't air condition during that week.

I was talking on the phone to a cousin from Wilkes-Barre, PA a couple days ago and she mentioned a strip shopping center that got wrecked by a tornado last year still isn't all repaired.  I pointed out we NEVER heard of tornadoes in the mid-Atlantic states until the 2000's.  Some of it is media sensationalization, but obvious there are some real cases - though it's nothing like the big twisters that the middle of the USA gets.  The ones here usually form at the spot they hit and then they disintegrate nearby, so there's not a long line of wrecked property, usually some damaged roofs, etc.

• Heart 1

New tornado watches up this afternoon - most of the eastern 3/4 of PA, and more of NJ than yesterday.

I mentioned our weather was relatively calm last evening, compared to what was going on north and south.  I hope that doesn't increase our chances of getting socked tonight.

• Heart 1

NWS confirms an EF-1 tornado touched down near Stanhope, NJ yesterday, damaging a high school among other things.

Remember just about a year ago when a school bus driver tried to make a U-turn in the median of I-80, resulting in the deaths of a teacher and a student?  That site is less than two miles from the high school hit by yesterday's tornado.  Seems a run of bad luck for that little area.

• Sad 1

My wife is home with the kids, in the office in the basement.

It is really hard to watch this remotely, from work.

Still hoping it just brushes to the north of the house, but it's gonna be close.

We are just to the north of 95 above the "T" in Trenton.  (at least the purple color is gone, compared to the previous image)

image.png.7ba44e291dbf9d81cf1c6ff17face9e5.png

Hopefully doesn't get any worse than the warning represents:

The National Weather Service in Mount Holly NJ has issued a

* Severe Thunderstorm Warning for...
Southeastern Hunterdon County in northwestern New Jersey...
Mercer County in central New Jersey...
Southwestern Somerset County in northern New Jersey...
Southwestern Monmouth County in central New Jersey...
Southwestern Middlesex County in northern New Jersey...
East central Bucks County in southeastern Pennsylvania...

* Until 445 PM EDT.

* At 404 PM EDT, a severe thunderstorm was located over New Hope, or
13 miles northwest of Trenton, moving east at 35 mph.
HAZARD...60 mph wind gusts and quarter size hail.
SOURCE...Radar indicated.
IMPACT...Minor damage to vehicles is possible. Wind damage to
roofs, siding, trees, and power lines is possible.

* Locations impacted include...
Trenton, East Brunswick, South Brunswick, Ewing, Princeton,
Hightstown, Cranbury, Pennington, New Hope, Yardley, Hopewell,
Allentown, Roosevelt, Rocky Hill, Stockton, Washington Crossing,
Skillman, Windsor, Princeton Meadows and Kingston.
HAIL...1.00IN
WIND...60MPH

2 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

It’s not the purple you have to worry about.  It’s the leading edge of the storm an any bow echos.

These aren't linear bow echo type storms. These are supercells. Biggest risk is often the back right part of the storm.

The purple was around the little "tail" forming at the back.

Strangely that portion of the storm fizzled and turned green just as it approached the house.  They are in the clear - until the next cell, maybe an hour off.

It is raining like the proverbial mofo here in "southwest Middlesex County".  Wow.

• Heart 2

One creepy drive home last night as I believe I saw the fabled "green sky", which promptly turned black.  No funnels reported in our area though.  All is well - apparently we may have one more day of "excitement", another large area of flash flood watch (which is how yesterday started).

• Heart 1