California, First Thoughts?

ChrisL

A state that epitomizes our best and worst at the same time. From great natural beauty in coasts and parks to urban sprawl and social decay. Incredible wealth and great poverty. Great entertainment to the worst excesses of pop culture. A state I love to visit but am ready to leave when my time there is done. 

• Awesome 2

Crazy politics, liberals and generally better than you attitude.  Most of that is driven by the coastal area and have been in the state several times, there is a huge difference between coastal California and the rest.  Coastal, I find I don't get along well with the natives as the perceived notions tend to be true, yes they look down on midwesterners, transplants usually aren't an issue.  As you move inland, found the people to be sane and normal and most seem to have the same disdain for the coastal crowd that dominates California perception.

• Heart 1

32 minutes ago, groupw said:

A state that epitomizes our best and worst at the same time. From great natural beauty in coasts and parks to urban sprawl and social decay. Incredible wealth and great poverty. Great entertainment to the worst excesses of pop culture. A state I love to visit but am ready to leave when my time there is done. 

Well stated.

23 minutes ago, Indy said:

Crazy politics, liberals and generally better than you attitude.  Most of that is driven by the coastal area and have been in the state several times, there is a huge difference between coastal California and the rest.  Coastal, I find I don't get along well with the natives as the perceived notions tend to be true, yes they look down on midwesterners, transplants usually aren't an issue.  As you move inland, found the people to be sane and normal and most seem to have the same disdain for the coastal crowd that dominates California perception.

Wait, I’m a conservative who lives on the coast!?!?  But pretty accurate though.

7 minutes ago, Old#7 said:

I like visiting but wouldn’t want to live there. People complain about the politics and taxes there, but CA does have a crap ton of outdoor things to do and the residents do take advantage of their opportunities. 

And we can do them year round.

• Heart 1

35 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Very true in the LA, San Fran & San Diego metro areas.  Much of the state is desolate open land which many don’t realize.

I'll admit, that surprised me the first time I flew into Sacramento.  Felt like flying into pretty much most midwestern towns.

5 minutes ago, Indy said:

And most of the country likes to mock Californians, it is the circle of mock.

That’s the part I never understood though.   I think people are smart enough to understand CA is a diverse state with its gems and warts like any state.  but reference CA and many will giggle & snicker or make a snide joke.

I don’t think any other state is as universally mocked by other residents as CA is.

11 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

That’s the part I never understood though.   I think people are smart enough to understand CA is a diverse state with its gems and warts like any state.  but reference CA and many will giggle & snicker or make a snide joke.

I don’t think any other state is as universally mocked by other residents as CA is.

Not even Texas?

12 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

I think it has a lot to do with you have a lot of high profile people in CA who are trying to push their will on the rest of the county.  These people have no idea about rural life, yet are constantly trying to dictate how people living in these areas should do things.

Basically, people get tired of hearing from people who have no clue on how they should live their lives.

7 minutes ago, Indy said:

I think it has a lot to do with you have a lot of high profile people in CA who are trying to push their will on the rest of the county.  These people have no idea about rural life, yet are constantly trying to dictate how people living in these areas should do things.

Basically, people get tired of hearing from people who have no clue on how they should live their lives.

Good point.  Is it high profile celebrities/entertainment industry & the the stereotypes they spew on your tv or politicians?  Because neither can really be trusted!

• Heart 1

3 minutes ago, Page Turner said:

...the big earthquake that's coming is going to fix this. :) 

OK here is the other thing I don’t get.  Why does this warrant a smiley?  Nobody jokes about Kansas getting blown to bits in a tornado but the utter destruction of CA is often the butt of many jokes.  

I know I’m in the verge of a rant and I’m really not upset.  I’ve just never understood the CA bashing and jokes about earthquakes taking us out. 

• Heart 1

20 minutes ago, dennis said:

Way more. Imagine the U.S. without a place like Yosemite. 

Pt Reyes is really cool too. 

CA has NINE National Parks.  Not too shabby.

Channel Islands, Death Valley, Joshua Tree, Kings Canyon, Lassen Volcanic, Pinnacles, Redwood, Sequoia, & Yosemite.

• Heart 2

10 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Really?  Those few square miles aren't everything CA has to offer?

image.png.e511e4f9cb6a941fbb6622cbeb397d81.png

The really funny thing is the major studios are in Culver City &  Burbank... I think there is one still in Hollywood, Gower maybe... 

17 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

The really funny thing is the major studios are in Culver City &  Burbank... I think there is one still in Hollywood, Gower maybe...  

"I hate those pricks in Culver City telling me what to do" doesn't roll off the tongue very well.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

"I hate those pricks in Culver City telling me what to do" doesn't roll off the tongue very well.

As mentioned before I spent 2 years on Sony Pictures lot which was the former Columbia Studios.  Some of the buildings had really cool historic displays.  

Of course I was most impressed with the Three Stooges displays!

• Awesome 1