California, First Thoughts?

ChrisL

1 hour ago, ChrisL said:

OK here is the other thing I don’t get.  Why does this warrant a smiley?  Nobody jokes about Kansas getting blown to bits in a tornado but the utter destruction of CA is often the butt of many jokes.  

I know I’m in the verge of a rant and I’m really not upset.  I’ve just never understood the CA bashing and jokes about earthquakes taking us out. 

...the big quake is coming, man.  It's inevitable.  People joke about tornadoes and Kansas all the time...watch the Wizard of Oz if you don't believe me.  In answer to your original question, the first thing that always comes to my mind when I think of California is that Dave's not here.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Page Turner said:

People joke about tornadoes and Kansas all the time

I was on a conference call today with one of my co-workers in Ft Worth, TX area.  He said, "I might have to get off if a tornado comes through". We joked a bit about weather. About 30 mins into the call, he says "I gotta go.  They spotted a s funnel cloud in my NEIGHBORHOOD".  We resumed the call about a 15 minutes later when the tornado had moved on to some other god-forsaken place.

Way over the top environmental laws.

A trucker buddy of mine was stopped in roadside safety inspection. They wrote him up for excess grease on his steering axle. He said he would wipe the grease off the tie rod ends, but was told that was now hazardous waste and had to be properly disposed of. He sat on the side of road for 2 hours, 2 guys showed up in a flatbed truck with a 5 gallon can labeled 'hazardous waste'.

They wiped the grease off the tie rod ends, threw the rags in the bucket and drove away.

I don't remember the exact number but I know it cost him several hundred dollars. 

• Heart 1

3 hours ago, ChrisL said:

That’s the part I never understood though.   I think people are smart enough to understand CA is a diverse state with its gems and warts like any state.  but reference CA and many will giggle & snicker or make a snide joke.

I don’t think any other state is as universally mocked by other residents as CA is.

Nebraska 

• Heart 1

30 minutes ago, Further said:

Way over the top environmental laws.

A trucker buddy of mine was stopped in roadside safety inspection. They wrote him up for excess grease on his steering axle. He said he would wipe the grease off the tie rod ends, but was told that was now hazardous waste and had to be properly disposed of. He sat on the side of road for 2 hours, 2 guys showed up in a flatbed truck with a 5 gallon can labeled 'hazardous waste'.

They wiped the grease off the tie rod ends, threw the rags in the bucket and drove away.

I don't remember the exact number but I know it cost him several hundred dollars. 

...then they repackage that stuff and sell it to bicyclists.  It's a racket. :) 

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, groupw said:

Nebraska 

...I was thinking North Dakota.  We joked a lot about North Dakota in February or March when I was living in MN.  And don't even get me started on the jokes I know about Alabama, from when I lived on the East coast.  Fortunately, nobody ever jokes about Tennessee.

1 minute ago, Page Turner said:

...I was thinking North Dakota.  We joked a lot about North Dakota in February or March when I was living in MN.  And don't even get me started on the jokes I know about Alabama, from when I lived on the East coast.  Fortunately, nobody ever jokes about Tennessee.

If Florida Man represents the entire state, we have a winner!

• Haha 1

Beautiful places, high taxes. 

It is a nice place.  The people can be nice, but it is a different place in say SF then So. Cal.  The metro areas are different than the rural zones.  I grew up there, but will never return.  I am an Oregonian now.  Lived here for 22 years now, so I feel like this is home. 

Not sure why it gets such a bad rap.  NYC people are meaner, why aren't they despised. Jealousy of haters, because it is beautiful with good weather is my guess.  We have very close friends there.  We are invited to live with them for the Winter, if we choose.  We will probably spend more time there, when I retire.  Although, I can't drive very well in Cali.  It is too busy and too fast.  I'm a two lane country highway girl now.

The haters should appreciate that state more.  They would miss the delicious fruits, almonds olive oil and other wonderful foods that come from there.

To wish that it breaks off into the ocean is cruel and heartless.  That has been a cruel joke for a very long time.  My Mother lives there, so don't wish death on my Mom.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

4 hours ago, Indy said:

I think it has a lot to do with you have a lot of high profile people in CA who are trying to push their will on the rest of the county.  These people have no idea about rural life, yet are constantly trying to dictate how people living in these areas should do things.

Basically, people get tired of hearing from people who have no clue on how they should live their lives.

...I used to feel this way sometimes when I first moved here.  The answer is to open another bottle of the very fine (and reasonably priced) red wine when you start to feel that way.  This really works. :) 

I lived there for a few years in the early 90s. I was in the foothills of the Sierra Nevadas.  Close to Tahoe, Squaw Valley, Humbolt, Yosimite... So I think of amazing vistas and wide open spaces.  It’s where I cut my teeth on and developed my love for mountain biking. 

• Heart 2

I think of hot weather, big cities, expensive. And I think of driving along the coast, grapes/wine, big trees. And of course the scary earthquakes. And fires.

And the bad part is the Golden Gate Bridge. Everyone thinks it's so great, but the Mackinac Bridge is way better.  :P

• Heart 1

5 hours ago, Indy said:

I think it has a lot to do with you have a lot of high profile people in CA who are trying to push their will on the rest of the county.  These people have no idea about rural life, yet are constantly trying to dictate how people living in these areas should do things.

Basically, people get tired of hearing from people who have no clue on how they should live their lives.

You can just reverse all that for the repressive dumbasses in the Midwest that stupidly vote against their self-interests every time to the detriment of the rest of the thinking country.   You can be right and the coastal people can be right and that makes everybody wrong.  

Everybody points those fingers pretty freely because nobody wants to examine both sides of an issue when someone can just put out a meme or two.  As it stands, there are people with good intentions everywhere, but their voices are often lost by those working behind the scenes to rig the system (or to continue doing so) in their favor. 

***disclaimer:  I am not banging on Indy here, who I like very much, just making a point on how easy it is to flip things around.  No offense to repressive midwestern dumbasses intended, nor to hippie liberal pansies or east coast type A jerkasses  

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 2

1 hour ago, Zealot said:

I lived there for a few years in the early 90s. I was in the foothills of the Sierra Nevadas.  Close to Tahoe, Squaw Valley, Humbolt, Yosimite... So I think of amazing vistas and wide open spaces.  It’s where I cut my teeth on and developed my love for mountain biking. 

Great places indeed. I prefer Northern to Southern.

• Heart 1

3 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

You can just reverse all that for the repressive dumbasses in the Midwest that stupidly vote against their self-interests every time to the detriment of the rest of the thinking country.   You can be right and the coastal people can be right and that makes everybody wrong.  

Everybody points those fingers pretty freely because nobody wants to examine both sides of an issue when someone can just put out a meme or two.  As it stands, there are people with good intentions everywhere, but their voices are often lost by those working behind the scenes to rig the system (or to continue doing so) in their favor. 

Some great work here.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Dirtyhip said:

NYC people are meaner, why aren't they despised. 

People that think that haven’t spent time here.  People are people everywhere, they are just very direct here.  

People who stand in the middle of the sidewalk in Iowa affect no one, do that in the city and people need to be told to gtf out of the way. 

You need to come here. 

As a San Francisco native, who believes that the city is one of the best cities in the world, the Golden Gate didn't really do much for me.  I think tourist trap, tolls and traffic.  personally, I think the following are the best sites in the city:

Coit Tower

Golden Gate Park

Palace of fine arts (There is a grove of Eucalytus trees there that is awe inspiring.  Just the smell of those trees makes me smile and takes me back.)

Tea Garden

Academy of Sciences

Haight Ashbury

Chinatown and Japantown

The Presidio (a great place to view the bridge if you are into that)

As a kid I used to take my roller skates and roller skate around the park.  Don't laugh, it was the 80's. When I got older, I would hang in the park and walk down to the Haight.  :whistle:  They had the Jimmy Hendrix Electric church there on the Haight.  I wonder if it still exists.  As a teen I snuck out of my house, and my BF would pick my up on his momo and take me to Coit and we would make out.  Oh, what knotty days.

One time we snuck into the Academy during this art show thing.  Yay free.  We would trip around in there, until we got bored.  No doubt they have tightened up security.  HAHA

• Heart 1

8 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

...have a glass of wine. I just opened a Zinfandel. One glass won't kill you. :skipping:

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

People that think that haven’t spent time here.  People are people everywhere, they are just very direct here.  

People who stand in the middle of the sidewalk in Iowa affect no one, do that in the city and people need to be told to gtf out of the way. 

You need to come here. 

I should.  I know you are nice.  The NYers that have moved here are different.  Our friendly country thing wigs them out.  We are too friendly and touchy I think.  Makes them uncomfortable.  The East coasters seem colder, or maybe we are just too nice in an overbearing way.  Oh, you don't know how to get to X street, we may just talk to you for 5 minutes ad then invite you to dinner.  

• Heart 2

7 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

As a San Francisco native, who believes that the city is one of the best cities in the world, the Golden Gate didn't really do much for me.  I think tourist trap, tolls and traffic.  personally, I think the following are the best sites in the city:

Coit Tower

Golden Gate Park

Palace of fine arts (There is a grove of Eucalytus trees there that is awe inspiring.  Just the smell of those trees makes me smile and takes me back.)

Tea Garden

Academy of Sciences

Haight Ashbury

Chinatown and Japantown

The Presidio (a great place to view the bridge if you are into that)

As a kid I used to take my roller skates and roller skate around the park.  Don't laugh, it was the 80's. When I got older, I would hang in the park and walk down to the Haight.  :whistle:  They had the Jimmy Hendrix Electric church there on the Haight.  I wonder if it still exists.  As a teen I snuck out of my house, and my BF would pick my up on his momo and take me to Coit and we would make out.  Oh, what knotty days.

One time we snuck into the Academy during this art show thing.  Yay free.  We would trip around in there, until we got bored.  No doubt they have tightened up security.  HAHA

That was my point. The views from the bridge are great. In fact, if I were a millionaire, I couldn't afford Sausalito. But if I had Wilbur money, Sausalito would be awesome. 

1 hour ago, Dirtyhip said:

Beautiful places, high taxes. 

This is interesting in that CA compares favorably to other US state when looking at state and local taxes

I think "high taxes" might be a misconception for CA.  Or these WalletHub guys might be morans.  Even using the "adjusted for Cost of Living, CA is still mid-pack, not at the top.

image.png.68414d6add96dfb430616d755d707345.png

image.png.0739b0197163cc25eacfbf8956546db3.png

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

I should.  I know you are nice.  The NYers that have moved here are different.  Our friendly country thing wigs them out.  We are too friendly and touchy I think.  Makes them uncomfortable.  The East coasters seem colder, or maybe we are just too nice in an overbearing way.  Oh, you don't know how to get to X street, we may just talk to you for 5 minutes ad then invite you to dinner.  

People who move anywhere will acclimate or not. They get used to a certain way, and think it best (some of it, anyway).  It takes some time for those assumptions to be adequately challenged and newer or better ways to take their place. No matter where you go, though (and no matter who moves in), you probably are really only going to like roughly 30% based on my experience, and you are likely to find the same percentage of outright assholes (like me), and the rest are gonna be ‘meh’. 

50 minutes ago, Zealot said:

I never spent any time in the southern part of the state. Went through Bakersfield and stayed one night there. Closest I got. ?

Ugh... Bakersfield is not SoCal, so not SoCal. I’m actually sad for you...

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

This is interesting in that CA compares favorably to other US state when looking at state and local taxes

I think "high taxes" might be a misconception for CA.  Or these WalletHub guys might be morans.  Even using the "adjusted for Cost of Living, CA is still mid-pack, not at the top.

image.png.68414d6add96dfb430616d755d707345.png

image.png.0739b0197163cc25eacfbf8956546db3.png

I don't know about these figures.  I do know OR has one of the higher "effective" tax rates in our union.  Prop tax, state tax, gas tax, medical insurance tax, etc.

2 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

...it's the property taxes that kind of shock people.  Houses cost a lot here, and the taxation is based on a percentage of market value unless you qualify as a prop 13 person.  All those guys are dying off or selling their houses to go into nursing homes now.

7 hours ago, ChrisL said:

OK here is the other thing I don’t get.  Why does this warrant a smiley?  Nobody jokes about Kansas getting blown to bits in a tornado but the utter destruction of CA is often the butt of many jokes.  

I know I’m in the verge of a rant and I’m really not upset.  I’ve just never understood the CA bashing and jokes about earthquakes taking us out. 

I've only been to California on 2 separate trips.  Both times I landed in San Francisco...one of the trips was for a job interview (Berkley).  I enjoyed Napa Valley and Sonoma County area.

I guess I assumed too much as a Canadian, that places by a coast, would have more trees, more green vegetation.  It was "drier" in the hills than I expected.  

Just now, shootingstar said:

I've only been to California on 2 separate trips.  Both times I landed in San Francisco...one of the trips was for a job interview (Berkley).  I enjoyed Napa Valley and Sonoma County area.

I guess I assumed too much as a Canadian, that places by a coast, would have more trees, more green vegetation.  It was "drier" in the hills than I expected.  

...it's a Mediterranean climate. It gets very green in a wet winter, like the last one.  Then everything turns brown over the summer except for the trees.  A redwood forest environment in winter here very much resembles a rain forest....it's damp all the time and the streams fill up with water.

16 hours ago, Randomguy said:

You need to come here. 

I found the people in New York to be quite nice. Many people said, "Nice bike,"; many people said, "Sorry, " if they accidentally bumped into me or something; an older, kind black gentleman put his hand on my back as the subway started moving to prevent me from rolling all the way to the back of the car; and very many other instances of niceness. I felt very comfortable there. 

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

23 minutes ago, smudge said:

I found the people in New York to be quite nice. Many people said, "Nice bike,"; many people said, "Sorry, " if they accidentally bumped into me or something; an older, kind black gentleman put his hand on my back as the subway started moving to prevent me from rolling all the way to the back of the car; and very many other instances of niceness. I felt very comfortable there. 

This is hopeful.  I was afraid of being eaten alive there.  HAHA

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Randomguy said:

You need to come here. 

NYC (Manhattan anyway) is ok, but you norkers at great adventure amusement park in central jersey can be quite annoying!

Edited by RalphWaldoMooseworth

4 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

This is hopeful.  I was afraid of being eaten alive there.  HAHA

YOU would be the one eating people alive in NYC.  A shark doesn’t stop being a shark in a different ocean. 

28 minutes ago, smudge said:

You are one of those people that would never be out of their depth, seems to me. You are as portable as they come.