...or, for that matter, @dennis?  Was @Dirtyhip in Klamath Falls in 2014?

It’s hard to believe that the first Oregon Outback, that incredible 363-mile gravel race, was just five years ago. It’s almost like we live in a different world now, so much has changed…

Back then, the idea of running a race that traversed the entire state of Oregon from south to north – on gravel roads! – seemed completely outrageous. So seemed the idea of riding the entire distance non-stop. And the idea of riding a road bike on these gravel roads. More than one rider told me at the start that they were astonished to see me on my Rene Herse for this grueling event. I am sure Ira Ryan, on his Breadwinner B-Road, heard similar comments.

A joyful crew rolled out of Klamath Falls on Memorial Day weekend in 2014. Most were on mountain bikes equipped with bikepacking gear. Nobody knew what to expect. Would it take two days or a whole week to reach the Columbia River at the other end of the state? There were few options for bailout; there was no support – this was a real adventure.

It did not take long for the race positions to shake out. By the time we reached Switchback Hill (above), there were three riders at the front. Ira Ryan was the favorite, having won the Trans Iowa race in his home state. He was riding on 35 mm tires – which was considered wide! Another strong racer was on a mountain bike. He had opted for narrower 700C tires. I was on the widest rubber, with our just-released 650B x 42 Babyshoe Pass Extralights.

Oh yes.  That damned ride and the jerks that ruined it FOREVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   

I was there at the start to welcome them and see them off.  Actually, I had no interest in joining them, cause I had other plans and I was working.  Anyway, some very nice ranchers and property owners allowed people to sleep on their property.  Some assholes pooped in their barn and left garbage.  So, NOW, they don't want that event to go ever again.  It can only go as an unsanctioned ride now.  The welcome was ruined.  Who doesn't understand the cat hole?  

People are the worst.  More info here and the death of that ride.

http://www.oregonbikepacking.com/the-death-of-the-oregon-outback/

• Sad 1

I posted a comment about the truth on the trash and poop.  Doubt the moderator will allow it to post, it is awaiting moderation.  I didn't cuss, but I said "This ride is ruined forever."  and I posted the link and said People suck or something to that effect.

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Dirtyhip said:

I posted a comment about the truth on the trash and poop.  Doubt the moderator will allow it to post, it is awaiting moderation.  I didn't cuss, but I said "This ride is ruined forever."  and I posted the link and said People suck or something to that effect.

Here? I see you original response.  I even "sadded" it.

42 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

People are the worst.

I think those people have moved on to Floatopia :(

image.png.c914b6f95712ef203f2c9393e7528fcc.png

A party by the beach to commemorate the unofficial start of summer resulted in crews in the coastal Virginia community cleaning up heaps of trash and tons of debris left behind by beachgoers on Memorial Day.

The city of Virginia Beach said in a news release Tuesday beach operations crews cleared away more than 10 tons of trash and debris from Chic's Beach, the mass of trash left behind from "Floatopia," a beach event put on by locals Sunday that spread via a Facebook invite.

7 hours ago, dennis said:

I did TI. It was hard. 

Oregon Outback looks beautiful, maybe some day. Looks like people are still riding it. 

I like Ira's bike. Anything that can run a bigger tire and is comfortable is okay in my book. 

https://bikepacking.com/routes/oregon-outback/

Yes.  people still do it.  The big event is dead though for now.  

Hopefully some anger will heal from those past activities of the few.

• 2 weeks later...