Toronto, first thoughts?

Dottleshead

6 minutes ago, Dottie said:

I have visited once so not the authority. But pretty darn nice.

I'd say "charmless".

It is on water, so it gets points for that.   It is in the frozen North, so the water gets a fraction of the use of civilized places in normal or warm regions.

I lived, worked and cycled (daily) in Toronto for over 20 yrs. 

Lots of interesting long standing neighbourhoods... I have family scattered all over. I will be visiting this fall after a 2 yr. hiatus.

I miss Toronto....it has a lot of tree cover. If one looks out from highrise buildings in downtown Toronto, one can see the tree cover.  It has a great extensive interconnected parks system with bike and walking trails.  I've biked it for 100 km. trips in 1 day with only 20% on the road going north, east-west  from the Lake.  You can go west all the way to Niagara Falls (120 km. west) via the Waterfront trail.

I miss it for its dynamic pace, its artisitic creativity/innovation  (galleries, arts organizations, performances, arts training), drive and sheer diversity...which is far greater than Vancouver or Alberta.  It is CAnada's most cosmopolitan, diverse city in every sense of the word:  its people, culture, food, etc.  There are some rude people in Toronto but there are also far greater numbers of courageous people, who will fight loudly/assertively unfair/corrupt politicians.  Very different where I am....meek, conservative and caving into the old school ways/thinking.  

https://www.blogto.com/

https://torontolife.com/

Hookers are also in Vancouver.....but like many hookers,....a lot are moving indoors to advertise..by  using the Internet. Less out on the street.  The hookers live in Vancouver..even in tony lovely condos downtown. Same probably for Toronto.  This is a problem..for women's shelter services and police. 

2 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

I'd say "charmless".

It is on water, so it gets points for that.   It is in the frozen North, so the water gets a fraction of the use of civilized places in normal or warm regions.

It is south of Mpls, Seattle, and Portland, OR. 

It's kind of like Boston in terms of climate.

Are you just afraid of any place that drops below freezing in the winter?

We can probably take up a collection and send you some long underwear.

I like Toronto. 

• Heart 1

8 hours ago, dennis said:

It is south of Mpls, Seattle, and Portland, OR. 

It's kind of like Boston in terms of climate.

Are you just afraid of any place that drops below freezing in the winter?

We can probably take up a collection and send you some long underwear.

I like Toronto. 

My comment was "charmless"!!!!!

Comparing Toronto to OTHER NORTHERN cities to make a point about it not being a Northern city is nutty.  Boston climate is AWFUL for many months. 

CAlifornia (beaches, mountains, sun, snow, etc) is where the cool kids would go, and HAWAII is the natural winner for folks craving just pleasant year round temps.

But, truth be told, we ought to own that Southeast bit of Ontario.  It's sort of nutty that we don't.

4 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Comparing Toronto to OTHER NORTHERN cities to make a point about it not being a Northern city is nutty.  Boston climate is AWFUL for many months. 

CAlifornia (beaches, mountains, sun, snow, etc) is where the cool kids would go, and HAWAII is the natural winner for folks craving just pleasant year round temps.

But, truth be told, we ought to own that Southeast bit of Ontario.  It's sort of nutty that we don't.

We tried.  Something about a war and a wall and men dying. 

3 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

We tried.  Something about a war and a wall and men dying. 

Did we have two dragons?  That might help.  And why not just take it NOW.  The past is the past. The future is a nicely drawn northern border for the US that includes the southern bits of Ontario and Quebec!

In an act of kindness, we'll give them this (but not Alaska!):

image.png.389c3540a272921e87cf1ee6d0c64901.png

Technically, never visited but changed planes to Montreal. Customs was an absolute nightmare, so much so that will not consider Air Canada flight to Europe that depart from Toronto (although I noticed this year could do a Orlando - Montreal - Geneva flight). Elbow to elbow in a large room with a line that snaked to the final point of getting to the Customs officer. Never again, particularly with a connecting flight.

27 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Did we have two dragons?  That might help.  And why not just take it NOW.  The past is the past. The future is a nicely drawn northern border for the US that includes the southern bits of Ontario and Quebec!

They can have Cleveland as well.

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

You said frozen North.

Seriously, What's your size? We'll send you a union suit. 

27 minutes ago, Dottie said:

I like the part where they annex the piece of Michigan you're in.

We already had that battle as well and they lost.  We won by giving up Toledo.  Let the Canadians have all of northern Ohio.

• Haha 1

Just now, dennis said:

You said frozen North.

Seriously, What's your size? We'll send you a union suit. 

North is north!!!!  And it certainly freezes up there!  What part of "frozen North" is wrong?  If I call Florida the "warm South" am I gonna get some shit for that too?  Preferably some warm weather gear? I'd love some new swim trunks.

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

We should probably return Lake of the Woods.

2990-lake-of-the-woods.png

2 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

North is north!!!!  And it certainly freezes up there!  What part of "frozen North" is wrong?  If I call Florida the "warm South" am I gonna get some shit for that too?  Preferably some warm weather gear? I'd love some new swim trunks.

I just don't want you to be cold. It seems you suffer from Cryophobia. 

Just now, dennis said:

I just don't want you to be cold. It seems you suffer from Cryophobia. 

Dude, it's 90o+ today! I ain't worried about cold.  Or snow. Or freezing rain.  I am interested in a new swim suit, though.  Are board shorts still a thing?

12 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Dude, it's 90o+ today! I ain't worried about cold.  Or snow. Or freezing rain.  I am interested in a new swim suit, though.  Are board shorts still a thing?

Your obsession with warm weather is evidence that you are repressing your fear of the cold. 

s-l1000.jpg

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Just now, dennis said:

Your obsession with warm weather is evidence that you are repressing your fear of the cold. 

s-l1000.jpg

Without question. Noob is soft.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, dennis said:

The fishing is too good.

Dude caught a record setting fish. They figured out he was on the Canadian side of the lake and took his fish. 

What I'm reading (between the lines) is that Lake of the Woods is BETTER (ie worth keeping) than Toronto.  

Seems true.