Are You Proud Of Your Misconceptions and Ignorance

Razors Edge

16 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

...or do you actually pay attention and try to update your knowledge and have your thoughts evolve over time?

I get the impression it might be a personality trait than many lack.

Honestly? I try to assess what I am doing, and update my decision making upon available data. This causes mild problems at work when directives interfere with my one assessment of what’s proper. Although I enjoy enough freedom to do whatever I think is best at the end of the day.

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

...or do you actually pay attention and try to update your knowledge and have your thoughts evolve over time?

Only when I'm forced to learn something different:

*working with some people who are very different than me...meaning their core values are totally different than mine

*learning something....so that I can keep a job/earn money.

*moving and living in a completely different area of the country 

*being in a large family where people change and you must change to accommodate your love for them

*speaking a 2nd language....because sometimes in some personal social situations I have no choice. You learn differently with each different 2nd, 3rd language.

2 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

Like people who think Toronto is in the frozen North?

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, wilbur said:

I think. the first sign of having misconceptions and ignorance is the belief that everyone else has misconceptions and is ignorant. :) 

It could be even deeper than that! The first sign of having misconceptions and ignorance is the belief that the first sign of having misconceptions and ignorance is the belief that everyone else has misconceptions and is ignorant!  :) It may be like a Matryoshka doll with even deeper layers than I initially thought. I will have to ponder this possibility.

• Envious 1

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

It could be even deeper than that! The first sign of having misconceptions and ignorance is the belief that the first sign of having misconceptions and ignorance is the belief that everyone else has misconceptions and is ignorant!  :) It may be like a Matryoshka doll with even deeper layers than I initially thought. I will have to ponder this possibility.

Ponder quietly noob.

14 minutes ago, Dottie said:

I'm pretty much stuck on the musings of jsharr and the shortcomings of Kzoo. That's pretty much all anyone around here needs, right?

jsharr has abandoned us for greener pastures :(  And kzoo is so chock-a-block with shortcomings that you may have fallen into a second full time job!  Maybe it was good you didn't do the deck yourself.

I'm not proud of my ignorance, but I hate it when people won't admit they don't know something and will invent answers when they don't have a clue. I'd rather say "I don't know," than mislead someone.

Every year I taught Gifted-and-Talented level courses in Physics and Chemistry, at the beginning of each course I would read this excerpt from W.H. Auden's "For the Time Being" to my students and ask them what it meant:

The First Wise Man:

To break down Her defenses and profit from the vision,

With rack-and-screw I put Nature through a thorough inquisition.

But She was so afraid that if I were disappointed,

I should hurt Her more – so Her answers were disjointed.

I did. I didn’t. I will. I won’t.

Nature is, in fact, just as big a liar as we are.

To discover how to be truthful now is the reason I follow this star.

The point is, of course, that true science is NOT what we filter through our expectations and only lies if we lie.

Most scientists are pretty good at adhering to the true scientific method and I'd like to think I'm more objective than subjective and that I don't fool myself too often.

4 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

It may seem like an endless house of mirrors thing but in reality, it is more the "when you point your finger at others, there are three pointing back at you" kind of thing.  

1 hour ago, wilbur said:

It may seem like an endless house of mirrors thing but in reality, it is more the "when you point your finger at others, there are three pointing back at you" kind of thing.  

So stop pointing fingers and answer the OP! Jeebus.

5 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

Your misconception makes me think you are ignorant!   :rolleyes:

:D

This is Tizeye you're writing about!  That guy will cut your throat if you look at him the wrong way, and I have no desire to get that done to me.  Cold-blooded.  Best to know where he really stands.

2 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

This is Tizeye you're writing about!  That guy will cut your throat if you look at him the wrong way, and I have no desire to get that done to me.  Cold-blooded.  Best to know where he really stands.

? Eye C U lernt yor lessin and lernt it well!

Oh, and just got this a couple months ago (after TSA confiscated my old one had for decades.)

IMG_2074.JPG

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tizeye said:

(after TSA confiscated my old one

...there used to be a warehouse where they sold off surplus federal property here for cheap.  Ove in one corner were barrels and barrels of pocket knives and other multi-tools that TSA confiscated at the airport here.   It was pretty hard to find anything good quality in there, but it was always fun to look. :)

8 minutes ago, Page Turner said:

...there used to be a warehouse where they sold off surplus federal property here for cheap.  Ove in one corner were barrels and barrels of pocket knives and other multi-tools that TSA confiscated at the airport here.   It was pretty hard to find anything good quality in there, but it was always fun to look. :)

There could have been some good stuff...........

771.5 million (771,556,886) passengers traveled securely through 440 federalized airports in 2017. That’s over 2 million travelers a day!

A record setting 3,957 firearms were discovered in carry-on bags at checkpoints across the country, averaging 76.1 firearms per week. That’s an average of 10.8 firearms per day.

3,324 (84 percent) of the total firearms discovered were loaded.

1,378 (34.8 percent) of the total firearms discovered had a round chambered.

The most firearms discovered in one-month – a whopping 29 - were discovered in August at the Hartsfield–Jackson Atlanta International Airport (ATL).

Firearms were intercepted at a total of 239 airports.

There was a 16.7 percent (556 more) increase in firearm discoveries from 2016’s totalof 3,391.

There is no statistic for how many really stupid people were identified.

• Haha 1

On 5/30/2019 at 4:42 PM, MickinMD said:

I'm not proud of my ignorance, but I hate it when people won't admit they don't know something and will invent answers when they don't have a clue. I'd rather say "I don't know," than mislead someone.

Every year I taught Gifted-and-Talented level courses in Physics and Chemistry, at the beginning of each course I would read this excerpt from W.H. Auden's "For the Time Being" to my students and ask them what it meant:

The First Wise Man:

To break down Her defenses and profit from the vision,

With rack-and-screw I put Nature through a thorough inquisition.

But She was so afraid that if I were disappointed,

I should hurt Her more – so Her answers were disjointed.

I did. I didn’t. I will. I won’t.

Nature is, in fact, just as big a liar as we are.

To discover how to be truthful now is the reason I follow this star.

The point is, of course, that true science is NOT what we filter through our expectations and only lies if we lie.

Most scientists are pretty good at adhering to the true scientific method and I'd like to think I'm more objective than subjective and that I don't fool myself too often.

Now the above is pretty ambitious as few if any are objective. I'm content being aware of my own subjectivity.

16 hours ago, Further said:

I struggle to know where knowledge starts and ignorance ends, I often think I have found knowledge, but find it is a misconception  

It may be a continuum. The test of a good education may be to be aware of how much you don't know.

• Heart 1

7 minutes ago, onbike1939 said:

It may be a continuum. The test of a good education may be to be aware of how much you don't know.

I believe it is a continuum.  The definition of expert is "a person who learns more and more about less and less until eventually he know everything there is to know about nothing.

• Haha 1