Afraid because several, tall and black

shootingstar

I work in an dept. where our area is semi-secured....We allow members of the public only upon request and for specific reasons.

So another employee was ready to leave at same time as I.  She was hesitating but couldn't quite see through the security-hazed glass why there were some people that seemed a little active.

I went out and said.."just some people hanging out".  They were 5 black guys, just probably talking abit loud in chat and waiting for LRT.

The employee is my age, she is slightly disabled, walks with a cane and is white.

No idea why she even worried, we have a security dept. in uniform and security cameras all over the public space areas.

1 hour ago, shootingstar said:

I work in an dept. where our area is semi-secured....We allow members of the public only upon request and for specific reasons.

So another employee was ready to leave at same time as I.  She was hesitating but couldn't quite see through the security-hazed glass why there were some people that seemed a little active.

I went out and said.."just some people hanging out".  They were 5 black guys, just probably talking abit loud in chat and waiting for LRT.

The employee is my age, she is slightly disabled, walks with a cane and is white.

No idea why she even worried, we have a security dept. in uniform and security cameras all over the public space areas.

Better safe than sorry. I think its prudent not to put yourself at more risk than you are comfortable with.

Nonetheless, this is the group I was hanging with on Monday. Most of them aren't that tall.

D8B343AA-FA35-4111-9C2C-C92919C0637C.jpeg

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, BuffJim said:

Better safe than sorry. I think its prudent not to put yourself at more risk than you are comfortable with.

Nonetheless, this is the group I was hanging with on Monday. Most of them aren't that tall.

They all look safe except for that guy still wearing his prison orange.

• Heart 2
  • Haha 1

There has been a big demographic change in Canada, especially the west, over the past 20 years.  I remember a talk radio show where a caller suggested the addition of the Raptors and grizzlies would double the countries black population.  Too bad she made that judgement and too bad stereotypes sway her opinions.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, shootingstar said:

Personally, I wouldn't be worried about the color of their skin, but I would potentially fear a loud group of tall guys - especially if I carried a purse that could be quickly stolen before security could respond.

It doesn't hurt to be wary in today's high-crime America, though things may be different in your Canadian locale.  As I've taught the young men in our extended family, I you're walking down a sidewalk and a large group of potentially unruly guys is walking toward you, cross the street and walk down the other side - if they cross too, you've been warned.

When I coached high school cross country and my athletes ran miles each day through the communities, woods, and bike trails in a higher-than-average income area, I prohibited runners from running alone anywhere and always stationed myself in a area where, if someone got sick, etc., the kids knew where to find me and I could run to the locations of injured or sick kids.  Once, one of my women runners decided to explore a part of the B&A Bike Trail we didn't use, ran alone and caught hell from me when she returned.  A couple weeks later a teenager was raped where my athlete had run.  I never had a problem getting the girls to run in groups after that.

• Heart 2

Several years ago, I read about a poll or questionnaire that was taken regarding fear of strangers.  The question was basically, "If you are walking down a deserted street at night and two or more men approach you coming the opposite direction, are you more likely to cross the street to avoid them if they are black or white?"  The great majority of white people who responded said they were more likely to avoid the the men if they were black.  Interestingly, the majority of black people questioned said they would also be more likely to cross the street if the men were black.  

Us white guys aren't very threatening, I guess.  :(   

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

Several years ago, I read about a poll or questionnaire that was taken regarding fear of strangers.  The question was basically, "If you are walking down a deserted street at night and two or more men approach you coming the opposite direction, are you more fearful if they are black men or white men?"  The great majority of white people were more afraid if the men were black.  Interestingly, the majority of black people questioned were also more afraid if the men were black.  

Us white guys aren't very threatening, I guess.  :(   

But we are scary, that’s how I got my wife. She was being pursued by a guy she thought was creepy so she looked for the biggest, scariest guy she could find and stuck to him like glue. It backfired on her, we have been married now for 43 years.

• Heart 4

4 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

But we are scary, that’s how I got my wife. She was being pursued by a guy she thought was creepy so she looked for the biggest, scariest guy she could find and stuck to him like glue. It backfired on her, we have been married now for 43 years.

We can be crazy scary.  We are a solid majority of the serial killers, or so I have heard.  

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, BuffJim said:

They look like a ridiculously fun bunch. :D

• Heart 1

47 minutes ago, Goat Geddah said:

Yeah, my thoughts exactly...what the point of the thread?  None.

Shootingstar is trying to espouse the absurd, but ever so PC idea that if you're wary about large black people, its foolish and perhaps even racist.

That's her point. Yes she is trying to provoke.

• Heart 2

7 hours ago, BuffJim said:

Shootingstar is trying to espouse the absurd, but ever so PC idea that if you're wary about large black people, its foolish and perhaps even racist.

That's her point. Yes she is trying to provoke.

Buff, there is a much lower population of black people in our city compared to Toronto. Her neighbourhood which is close to mine does not have a visible large black population.  (And neither does my neighbourhood).

Honest, we work in a municipal bldg. with many security staff floating around.  I thought she was ridiculous in her fear.  She should/I expect to know better.  This is 4:00 pm in well-lit area with many other people around....in a municipal bldg. 

This is someone my age.  2 women with totally different perspectives.

On 5/31/2019 at 9:28 AM, Longjohn said:

They all look safe except for that guy still wearing his prison orange.

Just found out today who he is. Nickname is Noodle. I didn’t recognize him because he appears to have aged a lot in the few years since I’ve seen him. He used to try to look like a hip hop star. Not sure how much time he’s done in prison, but he did slash his uncle in the face during an altercation. 

• Awesome 1

30 minutes ago, BuffJim said:

Just found out today who he is. Nickname is Noodle. I didn’t recognize him because he appears to have aged a lot in the few years since I’ve seen him. He used to try to look like a hip hop star. Not sure how much time he’s done in prison, but he did slash his uncle in the face during an altercation. 

Him, I'd be wary of....

• Heart 1

9 minutes ago, Further said:

You aren't the average suit guy, are you Buff Jim ?

Not sure what you mean, but let me tell you about my visit to Russia about 8 years ago. I was with my coworker Pat from my office, and a Belgian, Paul. Well into our second bottle of Vodka (500 ml bottles), Paul says that me and Pat are the only Americans he ever liked. That made me feel proud. I think he thought the typical American he worked with was a soulless corporate drone. 

Thats the night you’ll remember I relayed the story of Pat deciding to burst out in God Bless America in downtown Moscow well after midnight. Every time He stopped singing I’d say in a real quiet voice ‘from the mountains’ and he’d burst out ‘to the prairies’ and we’d start again. 

• Awesome 1

3 minutes ago, BuffJim said:

Not sure what you mean, but let me tell you about my visit to Russia about 8 years ago. I was with my coworker Pat from my office, and a Belgian, Paul. Well into our second bottle of Vodka (500 ml bottles), Paul says that me and Pat are the only Americans he ever liked. That made me feel proud. I think he thought the typical American he worked with was a soulless corporate drone. 

Thats the night you’ll remember I relayed the story of Pat deciding to burst out in God Bless America in downtown Moscow well after midnight. Every time He stopped singing I’d say in a real quiet voice ‘from the mountains’ and he’d burst out ‘to the prairies’ and we’d start again. 

John is proud to be your avatar 

• Awesome 2