Actual Good News Regarding Air Travel!!!!!

Razors Edge

....from American Airlines!  Hopefully, other majors will follow suit!  Bikes are shown along with surfboards and skis!

FORT WORTH, Texas — As the busy summer travel period quickly approaches, American Airlines has announced changes to its policies regarding oversize sports and music equipment. American is eliminating oversize bag fees for common sports and music equipment, effective for travel on or after May 21. The updated policies, which will be music to the ears of musicians who fly on American, will also ensure that customers can more easily pursue active and healthy lifestyles wherever their travels may take them, without having to pay additional oversize bag fees.

Customers can check common oversize sports and music equipment as standard baggage, up to the maximum allowed dimensions and within the weight requirements. Refer to the full policy for additional information.

10 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

OK, they take the place of your luggage.  Now what?

American baggage fees
Baggage category Fee Max Weight
Second checked bag $40 50lbs
Third checked bag $150 50lbs
Fourth(+) checked bag $200 50lbs
Overweight bag +$100 51-70lbs

Saving $100+ is significant - each way.  I'll take a $200 reduction every day of the week

On the plus side, for me, is that my wife and I each get the first bag "free", and we have no problem using a single suitcase for the two of us.  We generally check two "carry on" size rollers, but could easily go one "large roller" and one bike box and be fine.

You were happy with the old policy and paying more? Or is this a "the best is the enemy of the good" sort of thing?

But it looks like @Dottie's dreams of bike travel are shattered!

Bicycles:

Allowance and requirements

You can travel with 1 non-motorized touring, mountain, tandem, or racing bicycle if the:

• Bicycle is in a hard-sided case, bicycle bag or box built for bicycle transport
  • Handlebars are fixed sideways
  • Pedals are removed; or
  • Pedals and handlebars are wrapped in plastic foam or a similar material

Please note that if your bicycle is not in a hard-sided case, it will be treated as a fragile item.