Today's Lowe's experience.

KrAzY

26 minutes ago, JerrySTL said:

Great story. Surprised that they didn't try to sell you a pre-built shed.

I'm surprised they didn't offer to come over and built it for me... Maybe that only happens at home depot

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, JerrySTL said:

Great story. Surprised that they didn't try to sell you a pre-built shed.

Jerry, I will have a 12x12 space I am thinking about putting down a pre-built shed. Do you or anybody else have any experience with these? They are expensive I know but simple. At my age and spending hours on the platform, I am looking for easy. But I just wonder if other folks have bought and used them? Are they Ok?  Worth it?

18 minutes ago, Dottie said:

Jerry, I will have a 12x12 space I am thinking about putting down a pre-built shed. Do you or anybody else have any experience with these? They are expensive I know but simple. At my age and spending hours on the platform, I am looking for easy. But I just wonder if other folks have bought and used them? Are they Ok?  Worth it?

They can be excellent. The shed market has taken off, and there is a wide range of quality. Look at it before you buy.

1 hour ago, Longjohn said:

Yes

You only get one, not both.

1 hour ago, Further said:

Both, the shed would be nice if the Hispanics are gone. 

I could have had it done if I had a good helper.. both my kids sat inside the house watching me sweat me ass off.

28 minutes ago, Dottie said:

The pre built or slap together ones are good to buy and will hold up.. my issue is that they were not what I was looking for. Also building on cost 1/2 the price, and I already had all the tools in my garage to build it :)

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

1 minute ago, KrAzY said:

You only get one, not both.

I could have had it done if I had a good helper.. both my kids sat inside the house watching me sweat me ass off.

The pre built or slap together ones are good to buy and will hold up.. my issue is that they were not what I was looking for. Also building on cost 1/2 the price, and I already had all the tools in my garage to build it :)

So, the pics....

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, smudge said:

My shed ain't HoSmudge's first build either. I know how to swing a hammer and such, but I think he's having fun going a little crazy with this project. 

Hell with hammers.. screws and nail guns is the way I roll. 

I'm good with a hammer, but I need the nail gun for distance when aiming at rogue squirrels running across the top of my fence. :)

• Awesome 1

3 minutes ago, KrAzY said:

Hell with hammers.. screws and nail guns is the way I roll. 

I'm good with a hammer, but I need the nail gun for distance when aiming at rogue squirrels running across the top of my fence. :)

I was trying to make a point that I'm not useless when it comes to building stuff! :P

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Dottie said:

Mine is almost 20 years old.  Before you put it down you will need a load of stone to act as a base underneath to prevent dampness from rotting out the structure.  Beyond that, it's built about the same as a house and should last equally well.  Your biggest problem will be mice who very much appreciate the new apartment but who don't know how to take care of it.

They will last much longer than a cheap metal equipment storage shed.

• Heart 1

8 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Mine is almost 20 years old.  Before you put it down you will need a load of stone to act as a base underneath to prevent dampness from rotting out the structure.  Beyond that, it's built about the same as a house and should last equally well.  Your biggest problem will be mice who very much appreciate the new apartment but who don't know how to take care of it.

My father in law had lots of containers of mouse bait and traps out in his shop but after his heart attack he didn’t go out to his shop anymore. His shed became over run with mice who never went outside to pee or poop. He had a bunch of moving blankets stored out there. I hauled all that stuff out to the curb on annual trash pickup day. Scrappers stopped and snagged those blankets, some with the mice still in them.

• Heart 1

When I was a kid, a friend of mine's father was a carpenter who laid hardwood flooring.  He'd bring home leftover tongue-and-groove flooring from each job.  When he had enough, he used it to build a shed.  He made frames of 2 x 4's, laid them on the ground, then nailed the flooring on them.  That made the shed's floor, each side, and the roof!

• Heart 2

10 hours ago, Dottie said:

We had one put in and it was an excellent experience with one minor exception. It's pre-built by Amish and very sturdy and well crafted. We've had it for over 10 years now and haven't done any repairs to it. We didn't buy it at a big-box store. Rather we bought it at a place that specialized in sheds.

The only issue was that it's completely pre-built. Many sheds come in pieces and are assembled on-site. The problem was that they had to remove part of our fence in the back yard including pulling up a post. If where you plan on putting the shed isn't fenced in, that won't be a problem. I did fill in the area for the shed with gravel and leveled it before the shed arrived.

We liked the color scheme of the shed, light brown with red trim, that we told the company that installed siding on our house to match the shed!

3 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

Yup, I hauled rock for mine. DoSmudge2 helped with that. ?. I used ground contact treated lumber, but I wanted the rock too.

7 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

If I put the shed on the platform, I won't need to worry about the stone.  It'll already be 100% of the ground and resting on treated wood.  Although it wasn't my original plan, I'll probably store tons of pellets and dry cut firewood in there along with maybe a few tools. It's designed to hold a lot of weight, so putting a shed on it my just work.  It'll certainly add more value to the house than just an open air canopy for firewood storage. 

32 minutes ago, Further said:

Why are the rafters on their sides ? Gonna cut into the snow load rating... 

I wish we had snow.. after three+ years here I don't understand year round summer.

• Heart 2
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, KrAzY said:

I wish we had snow.. after three+ years here I don't understand year round summer.

Wo46 tells me that she would love for us to move south where it doesn't snow. But she always tells me that when she's shoveling snow. 

• Awesome 1
  • Haha 2

The floor slid out from underneath the shed!

My brother bought a shed business 2 years ago.  The Amish build them, he does the site work and drops the sheds.  Consider that a shed that survives transportation, being picked up and put down a few times, will last a while sitting in your yard.   He does the prefab build on site ones.  All the sides and top are pre-built, then assembled on site.  I had that done, it allowed me to use the leftover siding form the house.

6 hours ago, Airehead said:

Is the little porch so you can watch the plants grow?

I guess.. the wife wanted it, so it shall be. 

I will be hooking up a spot to fill a few rain barrels sooner or later

9 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

In some states that right there will send you to jail.  You are fortunate you live in Texas

#landofthefree

Texas is where they simply shoot you for that sort of nonsense. Jails are the creations of weak people who aren't tough enough to make the tough decisions and cull the herd.  Rain barrels definitely step over the line.

Just now, Razors Edge said:

Texas is where they simply shoot you for that sort of nonsense. Jails are the creations of weak people who aren't tough enough to make the tough decisions and cull the herd.  Rain barrels definitely step over the line.

Rain barrels are for feeing the cattle and getting a confession out of the bad guys.

1 hour ago, jsharr said:

In Texas if you are caught barreling another man's water, we shoot you, hang you, waterboard you with the barreled water and then either shoot you again or hang you again, depending on if the date is odd or even.

The real question is how many guns do you own??