My platform dilemma -- I need your help.

Dottleshead

It's a long story and a project that got out of control for a variety of reasons.  For those who have followed along, you'll have some greater insight.  Regardless, probably by the end of June, I'll have an elevated 12x12 treated wood platform that will literally hold thousands and thousands of pounds -- with the idea that I could store either 8+ cords of firewood if I wanted. My original thought was to have an outdoor open aired canopy (maybe with a metal roof) to store firewood so that it would dry out for the upcoming burn seasons -- and I'd have all my wood stored in one place, covered from the rain, and not scattered about the backyard in make shift firewood storage racks.  But putting an open aired canopy in the backyard is not as valuable as having a big shed in the back that can be locked for extra storage.  So the question is -- which would you do? 

I'm all for putting down a 12x12 shed on it and calling it good -- but you can bet I'm not going just store a lawn mower and a couple rakes in there when it's designed to probably hold over 50,000 lbs.  If I do get the shed, I can store tons of pellets in there and/or dry wood.  But storing dry wood is going to dirty it up and probably introduce bugs much faster than not.  In other words, putting a shed on it means I still have make shift wood racks drying out wood and then I'd have to restack it in the shed -- a lot of extra work. If I store 8 tons of pellets in there, that'd be cool but then I sill have to store my firewood elsewhere.  But if I put an open air canopy on there, then the original plan would be great -- it's just that any future buyer may not be interested in a wood shed and I doubt I would see any value added on resale of this place -- which I'm guessing happens in the next 3-10 years. I don't have a crystal ball but that's a guess.

What would you do?

12 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Seriously however wood stored near buildings often introduces termites.

It does but we have what the refer to as  a wet termite in western Washington. You need moisture to get them.  It's just one reason of many on why it's good to store wood above ground here. You find them in old, damp stumps or downed trees.  But yes -- if there's some bug species I don't know about -- I'm sure I'll introduce it into my shed if I elect to go that route.  Murphy's Law.

What is wrong with building an open air wood and pellet storage area, but selling it to potential home buyers, that they can build walls and make a weather proof shed with little effort? I see this as a win/win, unless you have other things to store in a locked shed.  This approach is probably a much cheaper option than some you have discussed.  Good Luck with your decision.

• Heart 2

Build a solid roof, leaving the sides open but easily closed in. Like Sheep_herder suggested. 

If you think it will add enough value to be worth the trouble you can enclose it before the sale.

Probably better to leave that to the new owner though, hell they may want put a hot tub on it.

35 minutes ago, Further said:

Probably better to leave that to the new owner though, hell they may want put a hot tub on it.

Now you're Giving him other ideas, he’s already confused enough. I love my hot tub but I had a room built on my house just off the master bedroom for mine because I wanted to be able to use it in any weather.

Maybe I'll just put this on it for $240.  I just set it on top and heavily stake it down. No overhang and the side wood probably gets wet -- but who cares?  At that price, I put it on there and take it with me to the next place.

This ShelterLogic® 12' x 12' Corral Shelter with Green Cover offers convenient, reliable shade for horses and other livestock cover for firewood. Waterproof, UV-treated cover and secure, rustproof steel frame

https://www.doversaddlery.com/1-38-stl-frm-corral-shelter/p/X1-270082/

0270082_3.jpg

4 minutes ago, Dottie said:

Maybe I'll just put this on it for $240.  I just set it on top and heavily stake it down. No overhang and the side wood probably gets wet -- but who cares?  At that price, I put it on there and take it with me to the next place.

This ShelterLogic® 12' x 12' Corral Shelter with Green Cover offers convenient, reliable shade for horses and other livestock cover for firewood. Waterproof, UV-treated cover and secure, rustproof steel frame

https://www.doversaddlery.com/1-38-stl-frm-corral-shelter/p/X1-270082/

0270082_3.jpg

Chip board along the sides keeps things dry.  Just like in an open trailer or a dog kennel.  Want to see pictures? Straps and lag screws would hold it down, and there are pin connectors at the ends of the panels.  Damn, you want to make things difficult and spend money.

1 minute ago, sheep_herder said:

Chip board along the sides keeps things dry.  Just like in an open trailer or a dog kennel.  Want to see pictures? Straps and lag screws would hold it down, and there are pin connectors at the ends of the panels.  Damn, you want to make things difficult and spend money.

Send me pictures!

15 minutes ago, Dottie said:

The new sheds I'm looking at are $2,500 - $,3,500.  I don't really want to do it... but that's what they are going for M.

I'll have to look for images.  Just think about leaning sheets of OSB against the livestock panels, drilling a few holes in the OSB, and then wiring the OSB to the panels.   I have done the same thing to protect animals from road splash in winter in the WW trailer that was rebuilt.  I'll dredge up an image of the trailer. Now think about placing OSB boards inside and wiring them to the square bars.  I use insulated copper wire to prevent rubbing paint off the trailer or panels. Hope this helps.  I also have some on the outside of the dog kennels to protect the dogs from wind and wind driven precipitation. WOW, this photo makes me appreciate the rebuild of the WW.

_I0A5135.jpg

I'm pretty sure the OSB board is not going to work.  When you look out into the backyard, this thing is going to be one of the first things you see.  I don't want to have shanty town built in my backyard as it will be visible from the street (probably) so it's got to pass the aesthetic test.  That's only 

27 minutes ago, Dottie said:

I'm pretty sure the OSB board is not going to work.  When you look out into the backyard, this thing is going to be one of the first things you see.  I don't want to have shanty town built in my backyard as it will be visible from the street (probably) so it's got to pass the aesthetic test.  That's only 

To each their own.  You're probably right if it is visible from the street, and aesthetics are probably a concern in your neighborhood. As some say, it is just money.  Kind of like when they rebuilt my WW trailer.  They did what was needed, as long as I could pay for it. I only offered the OSB idea after you posted the covered livestock panels as an option. Maybe you were joking with that post, and I miss read your intentions. I lead a pretty simple life, and make do on the cheap. Resale of this place is of little concern to me.  I plan on being here for a long time, and who knows they may just bulldoze the house and keep the out buildings. :whistle:

• Heart 2

44 minutes ago, Dottie said:

So you guys all in favor of me just digging a single, massive hole? I could put a roof on it and call it a bunker.

Oh no, you might run into a stone while digging your hole.  And as for a roof, if you can't finish your platform you will never finish a roof.

• Haha 1