The Story of my Vacation

Kirby

That looks nice.

Vermont does great pancakes. Lots of good hiking and biking. You can ride a ski lift if you want to get to the top without the hiking. Burlington is nice in the summer, they have a traffic free area, and you can eat outside in the summer. Ticonderoga is worth a visit.

• Heart 1

7 minutes ago, Further said:

Sometimes far away from everything is exactly what you want. 

That's what I'm going to see.  And if I don't like it, I'll pack up and go somewhere else.  Although that's a much bigger production than it sounds. :nodhead:

• Heart 2

For future reference... the best time to go to New England is usually late August. I scheduled most of our backpacking trips and cycling vacations during the last 2 weeks of August. The weather is usually dry, the bugs are mostly gone, and the heat of the summer has ebbed.

2 hours ago, 12string said:

Which lake is that?  Looks like mid-south Vermont mountains, I can give you some day trip ideas.

Lake Willoughby.  It seems like most of the attractions are south or west of me, but I am planning to meet a friend in Stowe tomorrow.

I slept in until I woke up without the help of an alarm today, so I missed the sunrise.  But it was a beautiful morning and I did a nice (but relatively brief hike) this morning, explored some nearby towns.  It's windy and looking like rain later, but I'm settled for the day.

I am well stocked for bug spray since I was planning to be hiking on my other trip, but so far I haven't really encountered many bugs. I'm almost afraid to type that since it seems like tempting fate! :runcirclsmiley:

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

8 minutes ago, Further said:

Are you planning to jump in the lake ?

I'd have to, at least once.

I think it's still pretty cold.  I went to two of the local beaches today, and they were completely empty.

The terrain didn't look like the Northeast Kingdom.  We don't get up there often.  

Hike Mt. Mansfield, with preparation for severe weather.  I've been up there in a snowstorm in August.  The Pinnacle hike at Stowe is nice, too, easier and less likely to get snowed on.

Hit Alchemist Brewing in Stowe.  Go on a Tuesday, be there between 10 and 11, get your quota of Heady Topper.  Best IPA in the world.  There's a distillery somewhere near there that makes a Maple Cream Liquer.  Get some.

Don't bother with the VonTrapp lodge, a tourist trapp now.

If you get all the way to Burlington, get a bike and ride the Island Line at least to the cut.  Most amazing ride.  You can walk it, too.

Vermont lakes never get warm, but early June?  The ice only melted a few minutes ago!  We usually wait til later in the summer for watersports.  Early August this year.  It can be either 95 or 45 by then.

• Heart 1

• 2 years later...

That vacation was good at the time.  It was shortly after my Mom had passed and I wanted an easy trip that didn't require a lot of planning or activity.  But it's not on my current list of places I want to return.  There are other trips ahead of it on my vacation list.  it was pretty, though.

IMG_6055.JPG

• Heart 4